Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

Sweet mate will give that a go if 2 jacks dont work

Ok subframe is all back together, for anyone who needs some pics I can post how I got it back in. But basically, hang the diff then put a jack under each subframe mount.

Just another useless update.

Suspension has all been ordered from Ground Control.

Have gone to stick with the factory rear sway bar for now and will buy a decent front one some time soon.

Also, starting to pull all the brakes apart, have fitted new hand brake shoes while I was at it, re did some of the exhaust mounts and then ran out of money.

And now I wait for the shiz to arrive.

Also done a final design with Shelly on the graphics... cheers shelly!

OK update again with no photos.

Have sent the struts to Regan at Racelign, hopefully it all goes to plan.

Also pulled the brakes apart and bought some awesome rebuild kits from Appco, were like $4 a corner.

Now all I need is rotors,lines and pads and I should be able to tow (read: drive at night time through back roads) to the paint shop to get it looking pretty.

Will have pics when the struts come back.

Any recomendations on brakes would be sweet. So far I am thinking Zimmerman rotors, rebuilt callipers and race series (whatever they are) braided lines.

Ok so heres some pics.

Few adjustments to the original setup. Am now running a keeper spring, the little spring was nowhere near captive even after shortening the insert so the keeper should hold it all there. Have been told that it wont affect the spring rate etc.. it's weak as, can flatten it with 2 fingers.

Also, didn't use the GC spring perch...I didn't like the look of it. And also put in a couple of dust covers over the bump stops to tidy it all up.

Big thanks to Regan from Racelign, he is really helpfull and easy to deal with.

I dont know what's going on, wont let me upload Imageshack ones either?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image What about now.Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haha reposted same photo a few times. My bad.

john, I got the keeper springs from racelign, they are Tein.

Were $149 or something. which isn't all that bad really. Surely you could get a cheaper one from Trademe.

Just a small update.

Brakes should be done by jesus day, got new hub assemblies, rotors,lines and rebuild kits to keep me occupied over easter.

Will be rebuilding the standard calliper with new sliders/seals etc and see how they will hold on the track. Will run a mintex pad as well, Mel runs them and says they work well.

Anyways here are some pictures. Got started on them last night, then realised that the inner part of the old wheel bearing was stuck on the whatsit. So gave up and went to the pub.

Here are some random pics.

post-1246-1270099161.jpg

post-1246-1270099183.jpg

post-1246-1270099206.jpg

post-1246-1270099229.jpg

Fine details?

Oh right, the discs are Znoelli, nothing too flash.

The hub's are some BNT thing.

Lines are the last set that Mal had at By'gone auto's and are the ones that are legit.

Anyways, Managed to get that f**ker off, after a bunch of bashing etc I remembered that aaaages ago I had bought a gear puller. So I used it. Worked awesome.

Now I'm just having trouble getting the new assembly on, read post in maintenenace section.

post-1246-1270104996.jpg

post-1246-1270105016.jpg

Strong Ashkan! Cars, pussy and piss. Love your blend. Great work on your car.

Cheers mate! Come a loooong way since you would have last seen it.

Mofo'ing update!

Been really busy with it but haven't had time to post pics.

It's all pretty much done now. Everything is back in, brakes are awesomeish but they still need to be bedded in properly. Bought some badass new Bendix race pads ( $750 worth <_< ), rebuilt the standard callipers (twice, first time I forgot to put the piston seal in and well...)

Filled the gearbox,diff and engine with oil. Cheers to Glenn for the engine oil I won at the xmas meet. The brake fluid is apparently what alot of the NZV8 guys run so should be the goods ( at the price I paid for the two 500ml bottles, I certainly hope so!).

Everything was bled and ready to be taken for a drive... but the front wheels were rubbing on the GC spring perch :rolleyes: . Soooo, used some 16mm galv washers between the hub and the wheel as a rangi as f**k spacer. Worked well but definitly wouldn't recomend it.

So at 11pm last Thursday night, I drove it from Albany to Birkdale to the panel beater man. What an awesome drive it was too. GC+AKG+Lockdiff= WIN. Didn't really give it a huge push but it was enough to make my doodle feel funny.

Anyways, been at the panel shop all week getting cut to bits. Have lightened it a whole lot more than I though I could. All the bumpers have been gutted and the mounts have been removed and replaced with tiny steel tabs to hold the bumpers up. All mouldings etc are gone. Bonnet has been cut to almost nothing. All the rust has been taken out etc. All my finger prints are gone now from sanding. Half an hour ago we got it all primed.

Here are some pics.

post-1246-1271493982.jpg

post-1246-1271494025.jpg

post-1246-1271494039.jpg

post-1246-1271494053.jpg

post-1246-1271494068.jpg

post-1246-1271494087.jpg

post-1246-1271494107.jpg

post-1246-1271494124.jpg

post-1246-1271494143.jpg

post-1246-1271494156.jpg

post-1246-1271494165.jpg

post-1246-1271494177.jpg

Oh also, that is a vintage midget that the panel beater is restoring. It is prestine. Every single bit is brand new, would hate to take it into the mud!

Also, free plug to Graham White at Artizan Panel beaters. He is awesome.

Nice progress! What part of the car is the pic 9 rust repair?

^ Rear wheel arch in front of where the subframe mounts I guess.

^^ Corectus.

I thought it wasnt that bad till I had a go at it with the grinder, there was newspaper, mutton cloth and f**k knows what else in there.

I didn't think there was that much rust on it when I bought it, the whole thing was covered after I sanded all the cocks and swear words off it.

The panel beater's bill also went up three fold :(