Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Nice, what steering rack are you using?

The blue thing looks like..... an emergency window breaker?

2.7 lock to lock z3 1.9litre rack.

Yeah just something in arms reach for breaking glass / cutting harness.

IP68 sealed momentary motorsport buttons

So the next mod is a submarine conversion?

small update ... kind of pointless and expensive to do, but i'm a details guy :/

Before

Posted Image

After: Genuine recover

Posted Image

Roof rust be gone

It was pretty bad if some of you remember ... decided it was more than time to get something done about it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rocking the RXs for the time being while I put it back together :)

Posted Image

Wet weather weekend stuff rules :)

So starting to put the final touches on the car of all those little bits that have annouyed me. Will have some more interesting updates come soon but for now you have this :)

I decided to splash out on some new OEM replacement pre-fl tail lights. Will just thank Jon the Pom for pointing me in the right direction for these.

unboxing

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old tail lights doing what all e30 tail lights do best and cracking. Still not bad for 26 years old. The right side had spider webbed pretty bad

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the left side had the usual inner piece fall off. Its so strange that this combo always happens to every car?

Posted Image

Removed the old lights and cleaned up the area the new sealing gaskets would sit.

Posted Image

After messing around with the wiring and plugs which had started to loose their bite on the terminals .. here they are installed! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

amazing the difference isnt it. I put all brand new lights on my E34 Touring, it makes it so sharp

Yeah for sure!

While my bumper trim is in great condition, I wouldnt mind replacing it with new. But BMW just dont make it anymore for tech1.

A rather cool oppertunaty came up to purchase a brand new e30 m3 260kph speedo. I almost passed this up but a couple of things made sense. My speedo's odometer had just crapped out and stopped reading K's and new units dont come a long for this price very often.

Big thanks to Dylan for this as dylan was replacing a needle in his car and didnt need the whole unit. (long story)

Anyways, photos.

Unboxing

Posted Image

Inside the box

Posted Image

Pulling apart the cluster and removing the old Odometer

Posted Image

Installed the new e30 m3 260kph odometer :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seriously .. I hate reinstalling this dam bitch nut!

Posted Image

and all installed ready to click over to 000000 :) Everything works perfectly, including my rev gauge was giving issues as it was down 500rpm, this was because of the needle was out on the spindle.

Posted Image

What are all the buttons on your steering wheel for?

Going off the title of this I'm guessing missiles or chain guns :-)

mmmm close ... datalogger and display Ive been working on .. these are a mockup

Ordered a quick release steering wheel adapter ... tits.

post-373-0-56982800-1395707537_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-38602600-1395707538_thumb.jpg

Tonight Brendon and I converted the MSS50 ECU to South African software flash. This deletes the Secondary Air Pump software as we removed the SAP and blanked it off with the SA OEM blanking plate when we put this motor back together.
Also the car in now coded to a SA S50B32 E36 instead of a 318ti when we first coded the car aligning the EWS with a donor EWS :) ... my ego feels a tad better haha

Cold starts will now be smoother. It also drive a tad smoother now which is nice.

yay

• Like 2

Just some maintenance stuff. Found it quite a fun process though from a geeky engineering point of view.

Was driving the e30 around and felt the shifter get very sloppy. Though ahh well time to replace the bushings in the shifter mechanism. Drove it home and though nothing of it. Next time I go to drive it, lucky I was at home, the shifter completely disengaged and I heard a ding sound as the connecting rod dropped onto the drive shaft.

On closer inspection, turnout the retaining clip had broken or disappeared at some point and one of the bushings had disappeared :/ That was the sloppy feeling.

So as this isnt exactly an off the shelf part, I put the call out to some close car mates and one of them had a friend who is a machiest. So he turned up a couple of new bushes in brass, bang on spec. It turned out the old bushes after 5 years had started to wear a bit so its nice to have that new shifter feel back again :)

Thanks to ray@hellbm again for the retaining clips, and getting me out of a jam once again :)

Old bushing on the shifter assembly

zpbiq.jpg

6zwz7o.jpg

You can see the old bushing inner diameter is egg shaped. I actually dont think that was entirely cause by 5 years a of wear, probably more the pin being mis-aligned after the other bush fell out.

w7hme1.jpg

New turned bushings ...

2ymbvi0.jpg

Here is an old pic of it fully assembled

2cwkye.jpg

• Like 2

Just some maintenance stuff. Found it quite a fun process though from a geeky engineering point of view.

Was driving the e30 around and felt the shifter get very sloppy. Though ahh well time to replace the bushings in the shifter mechanism. Drove it home and though nothing of it. Next time I go to drive it, lucky I was at home, the shifter completely disengaged and I heard a ding sound as the connecting rod dropped onto the drive shaft.

On closer inspection, turnout the retaining clip had broken or disappeared at some point and one of the bushings had disappeared :/ That was the sloppy feeling.

So as this isnt exactly an off the shelf part, I put the call out to some close car mates and one of them had a friend who is a machiest. So he turned up a couple of new bushes in brass, bang on spec. It turned out the old bushes after 5 years had started to wear a bit so its nice to have that new shifter feel back again :)

Thanks to ray@hellbm again for the retaining clips, and getting me out of a jam once again :)

Old bushing on the shifter assembly

You can see the old bushing inner diameter is egg shaped. I actually dont think that was entirely cause by 5 years a of wear, probably more the pin being mis-aligned after the other bush fell out.

New turned bushings ...

Here is an old pic of it fully assembled

How hard would it be to do something similar in an e28? The custom shifter that mounts to the top of the tunnel. Rather than have to weld on a bracket for the stock linkage.

Looks sick though. There's something about freshly machined metal.

How hard would it be to do something similar in an e28? The custom shifter that mounts to the top of the tunnel. Rather than have to weld on a bracket for the stock linkage.

Looks sick though. There's something about freshly machined metal.

Hmm not sure about e28, the shifter is a MK1 DTM shifter from AKG Motorsport .. their MKII's they sell claim to only be for 3 series cars. Maybe fire us a photo of the trans tunnel from the top

is that a lifeline weld on quick release?

Its a boss attached, none weld on. Still undecided weather ill run it because of limitation in availiblity of short e30 bosses ... Also a slight CBF in re-aligning the stock e30 steering wheel angle.

Greased and installed ! :)

152yf6c.jpg

28rpcsh.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm not sure about e28, the shifter is a MK1 DTM shifter from AKG Motorsport .. their MKII's they sell claim to only be for 3 series cars. Maybe fire us a photo of the trans tunnel from the top

Thanks

I'll take some pics this weekend if it's sunny (car is under a cover, which I don't want to put onto a wet car) and send them to you.

You could easily modify the tunnel to take it. My one didn't even work in the e30 tunnel without modifying it, and I have the mk2!

Yeah I had to punch out the pre-pressed locations in the tunnel to do mine.