Sign in to follow this  
GreyE34

Latest Ministry of Transport Proposals

It is not often that I get sufficiently worried to write this type of post, and I realise that I will probably attract a fair deal of criticism. However, cars (and BMWs in particular) are my passion - so here it goes.

I believe that the recent proposals put forward by the Ministry of Transport under the title "Safer Journeys" would have far reaching negative implications for the average motorist.

Amongst the bright ideas put forward are reducing speed limits on rural and urban roads, more speed cameras, more fines, etc. Essentially, the proposals extend the current enforcement approach even further.

Full details of the proposals are provided here:

Link

At a basic level, I disagree with just about the whole lot because I do not consider that the current enforcement regime has achieved anything apart from dumbing down the driving experience in New Zealand, at considerable inconvenience to the average motorist. At a basic level, I believe that risk is inherent in driving and the best option is to, within reason, teach drivers how to manage risk, rather than to go down the futile path of trying to remove all risk. In my view, the current regime has resulted in an environment where any amount of inattention, stupidity or rudeness is OK, as long as you remain within the speed limit. I would rather focus my attention on the road rather than focussing on the speedo all the time to avoid paying speed tax.

You might find the following information interesting: Further Information

I believe it is important that the bureaucracy and the government hear the views of the average motorist rather than getting just the usual blanket endorsement that the AA usually provides.

Therefore, whether you agree with me or disagree, I would encourage you to make a submission before 2 October 2009. At least that way the government will hear a wider variety of views.

Now, I am ready to be flamed :rolleyes:

You won't get flamed by me.

I am frustrated by the obsession with speed that ignores just about everything else. I had a discussion with an officer recently who was ticketing me for 113kph in a 100kph area. I asked him why the ticket was necessary, and he replied, "It's about your safety, sir".

I challenged him by pointing out that it would be perfectly acceptable for me to travel at 100kph in a 1950's car with unassisted drum brakes, crossply tyres, no airbags, no ABS, and no crumple zone. When he agreed that it would indeed be legal and wouldn't raise an eyebrow, he choked when I asked why travelling 13kph faster in a vehicle equipped with inertia reel seat belts, 4-wheel disc brakes, Michelin radials, airbags, ABS and a crumple zone would be an issue on a wide road with a good surface and low traffic volumes.

He had no answer.

I don't envy some of the situations the frontline traffic guys are confronted with, but I find it frustrating that there is no recognition given to road-users who spend a lot of time on the road and are clearly driving responsibly. I've read the latest police objectives and proposals for reducing the road toll further, but they are ignoring the poor driving skills and poorly maintained vehicles plaguing our roads. The Police obsession for reducing the average speeds on the roads are not going to improve the road toll statistics significantly without looking at the other issues.

Cars running around on underinflated Chinese tyres, particularly on wet winter roads are a pet hate of mine . . . . . and their owners aren't far behind. :angry:

wtf they want cars at intersections to give way to pedestrians

stopping distance for a car 100m

stopping distance for a pedestrian 1m

also the one main thing that gets me is they want to raise the drinking age and lengthen the time you have your learners

how about making sure they learn something in that time

compulsory drivers training

evasive driver training

sure setting up skid pans and wet driving courses etc may cost a few million but it says on the web page young drivers crashing costs 1.1 bil a year

I'm sick of the default option always being regulation. Creating new rules for the sake of it without any research into their effects, is stupid and it inconveniences everyone.

Why bother reducing the Breath alcohol limit from 0.08 to 0.05. Chances are this will save no lives. Drunk drivers aren't just a little bit over (or under) the limit, they are usually several times over. These people don't obey the limits as they are, so why inconvenience the rest of us by making it even more strict.

As a youth, I have very little difficulty driving with small amounts of alcohol in my system (less than 0.03). Again, reducing the limit to zero isn't going to make our roads any safer.

It's the same story with the speed limit reduction. Speed always gets blamed for fatal crashes when in actual fact it's usually the useless driver or his substandard vehicle that kill people.

When are we going to see a logical common sense review of our traffic laws? I think it's time speed limits on express ways and motor ways are raised to 120km/h and our fine structures are looked at. Where is the sense in a speeder being fined less than someone not wearing a seatbelt, when the bloke speeding is (according to the govt.) putting far more lives at risk.

Testing drivers for drugs is a great idea though. Someone who's high is far more likely to have a crash than someone who's shitfaced.

you have my full support ... I'm fed up with the way things are going and not just road safety.

Yep, today's news stories make for depressing reading. Capital gains tax on housing, transport reforms that make no sense, armed robberies, and the running down of a 15yo boy as part of gang initiation, and some very disingenious ideas for queens wharf auckland development (honestly, is an adaption of Sydney opera house, a blatant copy of the London Eye, or just a bunch of flashed-up sheds the very best they could come up with???)

Disappointing.

Guest Simon*

Governments legislate for lowest common denominator. And it sucks for anyone with a fully functioning brain and an aversion for drink driving

Its easy to lower the roal toll. Raise the price of petrol. when petrol was at $2.20 per litre the road toll was at one of its lowest for the quarter in 08.

But then again, the lack of govts interest in public transport will force more people into cars as the NATS love building more and more roads. off topic sorry

Lol dont expect Labour to save your arse.

The government isn't in control of the country.

I say instead of wasting time reforming useless road rules, they should REALLY be revising the current WINZ rules and regs.

OT completely but a woman came into work the other day to get a WINZ quote for a outdoor setting. I gave her one, and she got her setting.

FFS!

Lol dont expect Labour to save your arse.

The government isn't in control of the country.

BINGO - 10/10 mate - just a side note has anyone got folk living in Kerikeri? From all accounts the local constabulary are caning the place, one motorist has been stopped 7 times in the last 3 weeks!!! Sounds like the cops have become the local government up there!!

The key is that the government has not yet committed to the proposals and they say that it is partially up to the degree of public support they receive.

The upshot is that the only thing that can possibly sink at least some of the proposals is if they receive a large number of opposing submissions. A few angry letters to the editors of major newspapers could also help.

I will certainly be doing my bit.

Anyone with me for the BPP (the BimmerSport People's Party)?

govts. are useless everywhere. i want to buy an island and secede

What a stupid idea!!!! all around the world there is no such country who are so stupid in their decisions about roads, cars and their drivers. To be fair I believe Government just wants to earn as much money from the car drivers as they can get... well will see how they will react, when to get from Christchurch to Dunedin will take them 6 hours... And they will drive around town with a speed of 40 km/hr thinking weather they should stay in third or drop it down to second... I am fully against their new ideas... and definitely for BPP.

BINGO - 10/10 mate - just a side note has anyone got folk living in Kerikeri? From all accounts the local constabulary are caning the place, one motorist has been stopped 7 times in the last 3 weeks!!! Sounds like the cops have become the local government up there!!

I live there. They do the rounds of all the towns up here, and then we don't see them for a few months. Was Kerikeri's turn last week. I went through 4 booze stops, and saw about 10 cars pulled over in about 5 days.

They're gone now. (I think).

The speed limit change has been debated before. It won't happen.

The hippies always have these 'justify my job' 'brain storm' conferences. The ideas still have to go through pratical application and fesibilty studies. The same result is met each time, they get thrown out.

Its happened in places around here already.

Pine Valley rd is now 80 as are several around Waimauku.

Some are reasonable given the lifestyle blocks springing up some are ridiculous (Pine Valley).

They could be a from the council rather than the govt.

Who said its the nats that came up with it? This is just inter-agency job justification. They still have to pass it through paraliment select committee.

1st year in government = dealing with things put in motion by last government...

look at the police station review thing...

I think the arguments for lowering the speed limit have just been completely rubbished by the fact that that poor c**t of an Englishman hit a powerpole at 40km/h and ended up with three dead passengers