Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Where the hell do the prices come from.

Now i know some are probably going to say i can get them at a way lower price than that but today i got sick and tired of my check control telling me intermittently that my brake circuit had failed.

So off i go the dealership to get a new switch as i know this is a common fault that cause's the check control display. I was expecting maybe 40 to 45 bucks for said switch but nope i was stung for $105 for a bloody plastic switch, Now i know bmw parts are more expensive but come on a bloody plastic switch that's probably been made in Japan anyway.

I did not want to replace it with a second hand one as at least i know where i am at with a new part.

Where the hell does a price like this come from for such a small plastic switch. ??

Rant over but i am also now broke for the week. :angry::(

Did it fix your check control problem?

Yup sure has but at an expensive price. <_<

It really does depend on a huge range of variables.Factored into there sell price will have to be things like, Shipping,Bank Fee's,Overheads, % Profit etc etc. They aint in business for love!

There is alot more to it than just a peice of plastic that looks like its cost 0.20cents to produce. I no where you are coming from however.

Edited by braeden.

Did you try Gavin at Euro Italian, a forum sponsor? Have found his prices quite reasonable.

Brake light "circuit failure" is always the 4 pin brake light switch. Fault codes will need to be cleared as well. Codes will be in ABS and possibly EGS if you have ASC.. get it done next time your stealers work on it.

I use Glenn at Botany Motorworx for servicing (Bimmersport Discount)

Gavin at Euro Italian for new parts (Bimmersport Discount)

Ray at HellBM for 2nd hand parts (Bimmersport Discount)

And for some of the odd parts Coombes Johnston BMW in Tauranga. (E30 Series Discount)

Make sure you support the forum sponsors. And you will get rewarded with a good Discount and great service!

Yup i do use Gavin and Ray and they are great, but was just one of those i need it today things and with xmas comming and heading away i just wanted to do it. Thanks for the info Glenn will get them to clear it when it goes in for its next check, Yup was the 4 pin plug, Nope don't have asc.

I understand they have a business to run but does not stop me moaning about it :rolleyes:

Edited by M-Spec

If you happened to be nearby (Nth Shore,Auck) Hellbm would replace it and remove fault codes for $50.

New from America they're only $83 (including shipping).

www.autohausaz.com

I'm ordering quite a few little things from these guys that would normally cost me an arm and a leg new from BMW. Shipping costs don't go up by much as you add more items so may pay to order a few things at once and save even more.

Try this for pricing then... I bought 2 tyres of Johno today.. his tyre machine is faulty at the moment

Took them to a Tyre Company today (No Names) Cost me $70 incl. to fit 2 19" tyres .. trade ??? Virtually got told to suck it up. Thats what they all charge now ??

70 bucks to fit two tyres :0

the place I goto charges like 20 for fitting+balance.... this was just 14" rims mind you maybe they charge more for the larger ones :/

That's crazy. It's usually $20 each fitted and balanced, no?

Edit: Lol, why would they charge more for larger tyres..

Edited by E30ONP

Go to Tonys Tyre Service. They changed two tyres on my mums car for $20 the other day.

Edited by chris00

Firestone charge about that, $30odd a tyre.. or a box of beer on the sly. They have to make money and im sure $70 for 20minuits work would be quite common in the auto industry these days.

Try Renault parts on for size, a lot more expensive than BMW parts.

$70 for 20minute's work would be quite common in the auto industry these days.

Then I should charge $210 per hour or more. How professional is a tyre shop tyre changer ? is he a brain surgeon ??

place in papakura did them for me for $7 each. Just had to leave them with him while I was at work and they havent fallen off yet.

our prices vary on the wheel size. an always inc fitting unless the customer dont want it.

think we 30 or 40 for a 19 cant remember most of the times i fit 19s its cos we sold them the tyres ^_^

Firestone wanted 35 a tyre for a 195 50 15 I think a while ago. Went next door and the young chinese guy did them for a twin pack of winfields.

This week been, I got:

2x 17" tyres removed & 2 new ones fitted for $9.50ea (I supplied new tyres & took old tyres with me).

Went back, asked why they werent balanced (I didnt think of it at the time) then he said thats an extra $13ea but 'What The Heck' we'll do it cos we got nothing to do (so were balanced for free).

Then I got a wheel allignment done for a box of 24x beers cos I know the guy. He said come back for a free allignment again this week cos I needed a new tierod end, think thats what its called (got one & put it on) and then found out I need a new steering knuckle joint or whatever you wanna call it (am getting one tomorrow) so getting new allignment done maybe Wednesday.

All the above was done at the same place within 3days.

And that was at Beaurepairs.

Yes, businesses need to make $, but they DONT need to rip people off! If you put 2 people on the tyre chaning machines to pump them out during the day if your busy, you gonna make $ even if only at $10 a tyre! $70 is WAAAAY over the top. I'd have walked off & told them to "get f---ed".

Edited by Shady

i paid 100 to have the tyres on my 17" put on, incl a discount coz my mate works there.. they do charge more as the rim size goes up because it is harder to put the tyre on aparently and logically