Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

"Rangi Mods"

I did the belt and pump on a 4age blue top over the weekend. Piss easy job. Had a few rangi mods on her though. Extractors and no O2 sensor. Pod filter with the whole hot air sucking job and the ambient temp sensor cable tied up near the pcv....Wrong belt covers too. Bunch of twits.

Oh there's a proper tool? Drill a big f**k off hole in the radiator and use a large extension?

Lol dont forget to cut a hole in the bumper too, and then tape over it when your done.

used to be a site called rangimods.co.nz but I see it no longer exists.

Front caliper faces ground down with a grinder to clear wheel face, because I hate spacers.

Front valance to fit to my Alpina front kit chopped up with a grinder and a cutting wheel totally eyeballed.

Using minute mend epoxy to 'weld' a gearknob to the shifter arm.

Using 'paint it on' tyre black to dye my E30 headliner black....and it works.

There is plenty more, I just can't remember them.

Front caliper faces ground down with a grinder to clear wheel face, because I hate spacers.

Front valance to fit to my Alpina front kit chopped up with a grinder and a cutting wheel totally eyeballed.

Using minute mend epoxy to 'weld' a gearknob to the shifter arm.

Using 'paint it on' tyre black to dye my E30 headliner black....and it works.

There is plenty more, I just can't remember them.

So far i believe we have a winner lol

Throttle cable rubber bush that holds the engine end in place snapped... so cable-tied tight around it to ensure it doesnt slip off the mount and jam my throttle partway open... but i didnt tell you that...

A good friend Tom asked if we could help paint his ute last night so we did. After 2 tubs of bog, a grind, and a clogged spray gun.. we had it all done in a couple of hours. Working together is the key.. as you will see.

We smashed out bog with a hammer, just to have a look, then just covered it up again.

Posted Image

Metal reconstruction 101

Posted Image

Liquid metal worked a charm on this piece

Posted Image

We fixed a rip/dent in the metal from where he went through a fence on the kaimais, noone will even know now.

Posted Image

Sanding and painting done at the exact same time. The dust added to the green pearl of the paint.

Posted Image

Final outcome should be posted today, it was too dark last night and then he drove home straight after completion.

i'm proud of that effort,

and who was it that said it wouldnt be done by last night ay (mark)

Na the only reason i wanted to spray it last night was because i was a wee bit intoxified , so thought it would be funny to see what id done in the morning haha

edit: The other key to getting the job done so quikly was not wasting time masking over the windows or door handles or any thing for that matter

Edited by Matty104

i'm proud of that effort,

and who was it that said it wouldnt be done by last night ay (mark)

Na the only reason i wanted to spray it last night was because i was a wee bit intoxified , so thought it would be funny to see what id done in the morning haha

When the bog isn't fully cured the paint sticks way more betterer anyway aye cuz

Oh my god. You guys! That pos is his pride and joy.

I almost can conclude, if everything else doesn't work to fix something, a rangi mod will just have to do. Or more commonly seen on Bimmersport - if you can't afford it/can't be bothered, rangi mods are the way to go.

Seem a few too many rangi mods gone bad, in the end the car always ends up getting fixed properly.

When the bog isn't fully cured the paint sticks way more betterer anyway aye cuz

Structural integrity

this by far is my most favourite thread, never ceasing to amaze me the extent people take "shell be right" with their automotive possessions !

+1 for finished pictures of the bogga ute

lol. at the ford garage i used to work at, ford had an issue with ba/bf falcon outer lower front ball joints. simillar to that e36 thread link. we used to unbolt the struts, smash out the old ball joints and smash in the new ones. got it down to 15min per side.

Mods list.

1.) Chassis lightening

- All windows and lights smashed

- Interior trims removed/ripped out

- Bumpers removed with a crow bar, and sledge hammer

2.) Aerodynamics

- Multiple Sledgehammer blows

3.) Cooling

- 92' honda prelude electric fan directly wired to battery and cable tied to the front grill.

- mended water hose when engine mounts broke causing the alt. pulley to eat said hose.

4.) Chassis Rigidity

- Engine strapped down to front crossmember using a truck container strap.

- Multiple sledgehammer blows.

5.) Appearance

- Warehouse rattlecan paint custom paint job, heat cured in ~28 deg. West Auckland sun.

Posted Image

Oooh - I remembered one. M20 intake boot split fixed with electrical tape, duct tape AND zip ties. Semi-permanent fix as both tapes and zip ties are black and it works good.

not so much a rangi fix ... because it's not actually fixed lol

but my mate's Corona, the starter motor is stuffed

so instead of fixing it, he always parks up the top of a bit of an incline so he can jump start it lol

although that usually means that he's blocking the driveway for everyone else who visits

not really a rangi mod, but used a crocodile clip to reset the LED service lights on the e30 yesterday.

worked a treat

Not too rangi but def patch up jobs

Broken lip clips = Cable ties

post-2618-1271141017.jpg

Dented bonnet = Duct tape

post-2618-1271141037.jpg

The worst mine has is about 20 cable ties keeping the front bumper and plastic guards in place. Still waiting for the money for a new front.

Just completed a honda stereo mounting bracket. stock bracket bent in the vice 90 degrees, angle grinder to make room for the plug, 4 zip ties, and some elastic support. it doesnt get much better (or worse than that haha)

Posted Image

Aluminium roofing flashing tape used to cover ugly spot welds + exhaust cement when welding on my exhaust tips.

not really a rangi mod, but used a crocodile clip to reset the LED service lights on the e30 yesterday.

worked a treat

Paper clips work quite well too !