Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

E30 Starting Issues.

E30 is playing up :rolleyes:

What I'd like is a list of things to check as the car's not turning over.

Battery is showing 11.4v, could this be the problem?

I did buy a new battery, put it in and it didn't make a difference so I returned it :mellow:

I can jump/push start the car!

I have a new starter ready to go in if its the problem, but what else can I eliminate as a possible cause?

Cheers guys,

Hows the condition of your spark plugs/leads ? on one of my previous e30's i found it wouldnt start from a build up of grime/oil & water around the plugs.

Haven't checked actually, will do when I get home.

Anything else?

Haven't checked actually, will do when I get home.

Anything else?

battery should be around 12.7v

What happens when you try start?

IIRC a battery in good condition should be 12.7V. It's at only half charge or they count it as discharged if it drops bellow 11.8V.

I'd check the engine ground too, From sump to chassis. That can cause grief since it's what the starter grounds through.

Hows the condition of your spark plugs/leads ? on one of my previous e30's i found it wouldnt start from a build up of grime/oil & water around the plugs.

he has mentioned it isn't turning over

battery should be around 12.7v

Yea tried a new battery already but will replace it eventually as well.

IIRC a battery in good condition should be 12.7V. It's at only half charge or they count it as discharged if it drops bellow 11.8V.

I'd check the engine ground too, From sump to chassis. That can cause grief since it's what the starter grounds through.

The sump takes a bit of a beating so will check grounding

Have you got a multimeter ??

Yes

Everything lights up, then, nothing?

Everything lights up, then, nothing?

[/quote

1) rule out battery (even if it is new)

2) check earth straps

3) check over all leads

4) rule out ignition switch, check power at starter

get a wiring diagram if need be to understand the starter circuit more clearly

do you have an alarm/immobiliser?

maybe ignition barrel, once you've ruled out the easy stuff.

Edited by antil33t

Also had this problem, it would turn over but not spark. I replaced dizzy cap and rotor and starts mint, first pop every time.

Had this exact problem on the ca18 e30 last weekend (yes i know its a diff engine etc etc). I found the problem was the igniter wire had become disconnected from the starter.

Fuse to starter ok? Relay? You could give the starter 12V from the battery just to rule out the starter. If your startet doesent turn when you give it power you could go over wires connected to it.

Get your multimeter and connect one end to a good earth, connect the other end to the main battery feed on the starter, you should have battery voltage there. Next connect it to the black/yellow wire (black with yellow stripe), get someone to try and start the car and check for voltage there. This wire is the one that activates the starter.

If you are getting no voltage at the black/yellow wire you will need to trace it back and make sure it is not broken or become unplugged or the ignition switch is not faulty. Has your car been converted from auto to manual?

Does the starter make any noise at all? Clicking?

As said, also check the grounds from the engine to chassis.

Right, gettting annoyed now

Tried starting up the E30 last night. Nothing. Again... <_<

Checked battery Voltage (battery is about a month old) around 11v now.

Jumper cables to get the car running, went for a drive, came back, battery's charged back over 12v

This morning, back below 12, so I've got a wee battery drain going on.

What could be doing this? I'm going to disconnect the audio system tonight when I get home and see if the same thing happens again over night as that's a 'common' cause, but could there be anything else sucking the life out of my battery?

Cheers,

Edited by Blackie

Boot light not going off when the boots shut maybe?

glove box light ??

you need to hook up a amp meter between battery and positive cable check what currant draw is at then start removing fuses one at time to see which one makes it frop off .

The fact that you quite clearly stated in your first post (OP) that you can jump start the car i'm surprised about some of the responses.

Whilst it's obviously a problem related to the battery your first port of call should've been to read through the stickied posts in the maintenance forum, specifically:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=27120

I would say it's possible that your battery is faulty although sticking in a brand new battery and it not working is a little suspect. You could take it back to where you got it from and get them to test it but I would highly recommend you go to mitre10 mega, or equivalent, and buy a battery charger.