Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Best driving roads in New Zealand

Lets make a list of the roads you enjoy driving. Wether it be for the scenic views, twisties, or whatever else your into.

If you could post up as much info as you can.

-Area and name

-Google maps link

-Likelihood of finding caravans, trucks, cyclists, etc

-Road condition

-Photos or videos if you've got them

-Description if you can be bothered

-Anything else worth a mention

I am sure this is not news for most wellington people.

if i have to go north(and am by my self) i will go north to levin then to shannon,and north to just east of manawatu gorge,ashurst,colyton,chelttenham,vinegar hill,...if i have less time pressure the first lap will be through the rapa turn left woodville,carry on from ashhurst...the takas arent what they used to be tho.....

Edited by kiwi535

The famous, Hunua/ Clevedon to Miranda run.

Hunua, to Clevedon then around to Kawakawa Bay then follow the east coast road round to Miranda.

Good road for most of it, not too many caravans because they normally take State Highway 2 and 25

The road between Whanganui and Ohakune State Hwy 4

When it's not being repaired (constantly it seems these days) and is clear of traffic (sometimes) it's got to be some of the best driving roads in NZ.

Turbo + 4wd and a strong stomach recommended for swift progress. winds down besides a river before winding upwards towards the hill tops and back down again.

Magic switchbacks. recommend strong brake package & full tank for powerful cars .... :)

Come-on ppl....googlemaps links please...it's nice to see what you are talking about!

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sour...230469&z=10

pics

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sour...130.54,,0,14.24

Edited by M5V8

Blue mountains - whitemans valley - mangaroa - exit at te marua

Wellington

Google map

The road surface is harsh at the best of times

Minimal traffic after 12am

Moonshine Road

Wellington

Google map

Makara

Wellington

Google Map

Pahiatua Track

Manawatu

Google Map

Havent driven this road in ages but it used to have

minimal traffic at most times of the day

Thats four I can think of right now

Theres some awesome roads around Masterton

but I cant comment on road condition or traffic

as I havent driven out there in a while.

RIP old Rimutaka Road :(

Wellington

Google map

that links to the blue mountains outside Sydney bro....it is a lovely drive...you are right but there maybe the issue of a little bit of water.

Edited by M5V8

SH4 between Ohakune and Whanganui is my favourite road in the North Island atleast, along with Vinegar Hill.

Makara has too many cyclists and in a low car you bottom out everywhere and is far too narrow to drive remotely fast during the day.

Paekakriki Hill going North is best, South isn't so good too many potential power poles to hit and banks too fall off down. Remeber the days riding shotgun chasing a E39 M5 down the Hill in Dad's Fraser Clubman, good times.

Edited by Brams

that links to the blue mountains outside Sydney bro....it is a lovely drive...you are right but there maybe the issue of a little bit of water.

Huh? link works for me

Even though New Zealand is mainly full of shitty badly maintained goat tracks that pass themselves off as roads, I do miss them when it comes time for a good fun drive.

Now, 99.9% of my driving is on multi-lane freeways, or in cities. This means you get to your destination quickly, but it is as boring as bat sh*t.

I can see why most old American cars are huge comfortable land barges, there is no reason for most people to own anything else.

Any road will do, preferably without cyclists and trucks or stock

Opotiki to Gisborne via SH35 if you want a nice scenic road trip

SH4 between Ohakune and Whanganui is my favourite road in the North Island atleast, along with Vinegar Hill.

Makara has too many cyclists and in a low car you bottom out everywhere and is far too narrow to drive remotely fast during the day.

Paekakriki Hill going North is best, South isn't so good too many potential power poles to hit and banks too fall off down. Remeber the days riding shotgun chasing a E39 M5 down the Hill in Dad's Fraser Clubman, good times.

Paekak hill is awesome in both directions. Downhill heading north really sorts the men from the boys. Do have to say this though as the road features quite often in my daily commute: Stick to your own lane, don't push *too* hard and for gods sake watch out for oncoming traffic! With the right vehicle driven in the right manner the road is spectacularly rewarding.

Also have to agree with M5V8 regarding wanganui to ohakune - absolutely awesome drive.

Anyone done all of akatarawa road?

Ive only got as far as staglands lol

Anyone done all of akatarawa road?

Ive only got as far as staglands lol

Yea bro. Is a bit of a goat track up top and on the western side, many many places where there's only just room enough for two vehicles side by side, and a few where theres not room for two vehicles side by side. Lots of idiots coming the other way will simply stop where they are rather than move over so you need your wits about you.

Used to drive it lots to visit my mate in upper hutt, and also take my truck bush up odlins road (4wd track at the summit). Is a choice drive, but reasonably slow going.

Edited by -Alias-

Few years back I drove a road around clevedon

Maretai I think? Probably normal for you aucklando guys

but I remember being fond of it

Edited by Ben

Wellington

Google map

Moonshine Road

Wellington

Google map

Do the first one once a month or so. its a good round trip from my house in trentham, car is up to temp by the time i get to silvy and gets a cool down coming home :D

is the second one acessed via riverstone terraces? havent been over that way at all might have a look later maybe even tongiht ha just did this in the wagon a few hours ago... cant wait to go back in the E30 ha pretty hairy in places though

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Ridge Rd, South auckland is pretty wiggley peice of rd with some funky cambers!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...ealand&z=13

Karangahake Gorge between waihi and paeroa is great fun if the traffic is light.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...363579&z=12

The Kaimais - Car testing at its best!

State Highway 1B between Taupiri and Cambridge can be good fun too, lots of intersections though. Still better than going through Hamilton :D

the road out to piha is pretty fun for a short drive, and when there is no traffic, coatsville river head highway is ok aswell

Blenhiem to Christchurch down the coast is awesome too. The first time I went down there I didnt know what the FORD sign meant :D

The roads in and out of Whangamomona are quite epic..

Just drove to Hamilton via Pukekawa and Huntlly and back via Kiawa and Hunua, doesn't get much better than that.

We are so lucky with our roads.

I nominate the entire Targa as the best roads in the north island.

Just drove to Hamilton via Pukekawa and Huntlly

Did that on a trip to Hamilton when I had my STi. Pretty epic!

Personally, one of the best runs I have done I hit accidentally while working up Central Otago way,

Wanaka through to Haast, amazing road and very well maintained tourist route, hit it at a very nice time with very little traffic, beautiful scenery, challenging but well cambered cornering opening to a few nice stretches of road with all sorts of terrain changes.

Google Maps link -> Here

Hamilton to Kawhia. via SH 31. Bugger all traffic and lots of sighted corners.

Bring a spade and dig a hole. Awesome fun.

If I'm going down to Taupo, I take Waipapa road and drive past Arapuni dam.

That's a very quiet road with long straights and some really beautiful scenery.

I reckon Raetihi to Wanganui on SH4 is still up there.

SH29 from the bottom of the Kaimais to the top.

SH4 is good about a year ago we had a day of it meet in Sanson headed to Wangavegas up SH4 then out to smash palace for a looksy then back home through Ohakune, Waiouru, back down to palmy neat day drive.

Might have to do the Paihiatua track again by the sounds been years since i've done that.