Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Best driving roads in New Zealand

Anywhere in the forestry.

Blenhiem, out through renwic, over to Lake St Anarad, back down Korere Tophouse Rd into the back of wakefield! The most amazing road through golden downs foresty. Fast enough, steep enough, windy enough, empty enough. enough said.

Lots of votes for the Paraparas ha.

That road was sheer hell 30 yr ago.

Hamilton to Kawhia. via SH 31. Bugger all traffic and lots of sighted corners.

Bring a spade and dig a hole. Awesome fun.

If I'm going down to Taupo, I take Waipapa road and drive past Arapuni dam.

That's a very quiet road with long straights and some really beautiful scenery.

Some of my favorite, there is never any traffic. Enjoy driving those roads more than the Trackday I'm driving home from.

In no particular order:

Buller gorge (Westport to Murchison)

East cape (the whole lot)

Kaikoura coast road (from Bleheim to Kaikoura)

Lewis pass (from Hanmer to Reefton)

Mangamuka and twin bridges,

Paihiatua track,

Waioeka gorge

Helps if you can shed two wheels and a tonne or so -

Rimutaka hill road rates but too congested with idiots

yep the takas are very busy most times now,lots of passing lanes deleted,double yellows the whole way many many intimidated drivers and a few selfish ones makes for a boring trip even on a bike

The Saddle rd, Woodville to Ashurst, it's twistier than the Pahiatua track, but, I do love the track, I do it a fair few times a week on the bike.

Saddle road is quite twisty ideal for a swift GTi with a strut bar or front wheel drive turbo nifty car, my XR6 blew an abs module on that hill.

Queenstown to Glenorchy road.

Wanaka to Cromwell

Wanaka to Queenstown via Cadrona pass.

Hell most of the SI roads are up there aye.

The roads in and out of Whangamomona are quite epic..

Just drove to Hamilton via Pukekawa and Huntlly and back via Kiawa and Hunua, doesn't get much better than that.

We are so lucky with our roads.

I nominate the entire Targa as the best roads in the north island.

Stratford to Whangamomona is a stage in Targa, most regard it as the best stage and I agree, on that hot day it tore a Toyo R888 to shreds.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?client=safar...154324&z=13

In car.

Well worth a drive, the naki has some fantastic roads.

Just drove to Hamilton via Pukekawa and Huntlly and back via Kiawa and Hunua, doesn't get much better than that.

Just gave this road a try yesterday. http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&sour...uakau,+Auckland

I enjoyed it a lot. I think i saw 2 cars on it the whole time. Had to avoid one branch that was covering the whole lane and some nasty dips where the road is falling away. Would be one of the most fun drives i've ever had

Was going to get some videos and photos but I was enjoying it far too much to stop.

Fixed link, cheers Apex

Edited by bbs

Link doesn't work bro.

There is a road before the Onewhero Golf Club (Pukekawa) called Churchhill road, now that is an exillent road and best of all afetr 20km it turns to gravel all the way to Rangarere, one of my favorites, my best mate used to live 17km down it and I would often drive there just for a coffee and head back. It has some very nice sections but will bite you, have spun one or twice on a down hill section.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?client=safar...154324&z=13

Found a road I haven't been down before yesterday.

Drove to Kiawa for Fish and Chips and a Beer last night, thats always a good time, came back through Clevedon but linked back to Hunua via Sky High Road

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?client=safar...308647&z=12

I could go on all day.. Time for a cruise.

Have just got into this, all you need is a GPS, you find some wicked roads and walks.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Saddle road is quite twisty ideal for a swift GTi with a strut bar or front wheel drive turbo nifty car, my XR6 blew an abs module on that hill.

That's impressive! My view on best road may be different as I am on a bike. The Pahiatua track and through Mangamaire was magic in the E36, the road from Eketahuna, via Alfreton to Pahiatua is brilliant to, also Eke to Masterton via Alfreton is grouse.

Castlepoint to mataikona for the clinically insane :wacko:

Ooo yup nice roads out by castlepoint.

Riddell Road - For a brief spirited drive locally in Auckland. Lotsa fun for Turbos staying in boost.

Miranda way to Coromandel is always good. Lacks straights Incase you get stuck behind trucks/caravans

State highway 2 & 25 is always good late at night to early hours of the morning

Forgot to mention

Tarawera Terrace in Auckland, Late at night with LSD's :)

Just did SH2 between Napier - Wairoa - Gisborne this weekend in a auto tragic Subaru Legacy :( still was a ton of fun, would have been far more fun in the E30. Nice cambered roads and barely any traffic, plus only saw one cop both ways ;) Would recommend.

Riddell Road - For a brief spirited drive locally in Auckland. Lotsa fun for Turbos staying in boost.

Miranda way to Coromandel is always good. Lacks straights Incase you get stuck behind trucks/caravans

State highway 2 & 25 is always good late at night to early hours of the morning

Forgot to mention

Tarawera Terrace in Auckland, Late at night with LSD's :)

Yes to all of these minus Tarawera Terrace.... I remember waking up in the middle of the night loads of times and hearing burnouts outside my house and thinking "F**k Ethan"

Although I do miss seeing all the marks outside my house. Good times.

Anyone done all of akatarawa road?

Ive only got as far as staglands lol

I do it every time going to Hutt . Used to live at the start at akatarawa. good short cut , i do upper hutt to levin in 1hr 10 min . once know the road can be good drive but watch for motorhomes comming through , its regarded as a senic road . Also Tthe moonshine road pahatanui to upper hutt , gravel mostly .

In no particular order:

Buller gorge (Westport to Murchison)

Lewis pass (from Hanmer to Reefton)

Helps if you can shed two wheels and a tonne or so -

I have travelled these roads many many times over the years and travelled many 10's of thousands of k's just on these raods and I still enjoy them more than any other in the South Island

The triangular of...

Hanmer to Westport to Nelson to Hanmer would take the cake and if you know the road then you know the passing areas.

The problem is over the years they keep taking out some of the best twisty sections.

If you have a sticky car and get a clear run, the road between the turn-off from Milton, through to Lawrence on the way to Queentown is Awesome!!

Also the Highcliff road from or too Larnachs Castle, is very good in a decent car!

'Saves thread to favorites and starts planning south island road trip'

Have been told the roads are fantastic down that way. What are the cops like on the open roads?

I wish Targa would do a south island event, does anyone know of any Tarmac events worth a look at?

Ohukuni 17km hillclimb?

The clubman hillclimb championship?

There was a tarmac rally in New Plymouth if i remember correctly.

Twilight Sprints at puke.

Queenstown to Glenorchy road.

Wanaka to Cromwell

Wanaka to Queenstown via Cadrona pass.

Hell most of the SI roads are up there aye.

What was that road we took going south from Thames?

That was a cracker.

What was that road we took going south from Thames?

That was a cracker.

Nah all those towns are in the South Island.

But yeah that was a good one Whangamata to Waihi is the one your thinking of. Ive driven it since .. we got good luck on that day as its full of tourists these days.