Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Anyone got any recommendations on clutch set ups?

Hydro release bearing's are worth it :D

Auto-clutch up here in AKL were very helpful for me, reasonably priced too. Give em a buzz and tell them how much power you're hoping to make etc they will sort you out.

09 849 3737

Anyone got any recommendations on clutch set ups?

youll need a clutch rated around 600 ft/lb a little more wont hurt

This is the clutch set up my brother is running in his e30 m54 3L with m20 light flywheel. Question is will this be alright for my car? its only $370inc

post-2228-1347326210.jpg

post-2228-1347326216.jpg

This is the clutch set up my brother is running in his e30 m54 3L with m20 light flywheel. Question is will this be alright for my car? its only $370inc

i know richard at autoclutch well hes a top guy but that wont come close to doing the job your not playing with common bmw sh*t now it'll be a serious engine when done thus why i mentioned the torque rating horsepower doesn't mean sh*t you have capabilities of going well passed 500 ft/lb im using a ex nascar triple plate which isnt user friendly but nor will the car be.

even my m42b18 turbo using a ceramic single plate slips at 10psi so once ive done another 200km itll be getting a twin plate, dont cut corners dude

We can do you a Clutchmasters 7-1/4" setup twin disc setup with either bronze/bronze or bronze/fibre- rated to 600ftlb. With steel billet flywheel. Will need a ring gear though. Will be around $1800. The concentric throw out bearing to suit is $320.

I always recommend going with a proper small diameter race clutch as you can get parts for them and they are interchangable through the brands tilton, quarter master, powertrain etc. Jap twin plates are usually throw away at the end of the day. Best to do it once and you won't have to visit that department again. All of the BMW boxes have the same spline so you can change boxes and use the same clutch.

We can do you a Clutchmasters 7-1/4" setup twin disc setup with either bronze/bronze or bronze/fibre- rated to 600ftlb. With steel billet flywheel. Will need a ring gear though. Will be around $1800. The concentric throw out bearing to suit is $320.

I always recommend going with a proper small diameter race clutch as you can get parts for them and they are interchangable through the brands tilton, quarter master, powertrain etc. Jap twin plates are usually throw away at the end of the day. Best to do it once and you won't have to visit that department again. All of the BMW boxes have the same spline so you can change boxes and use the same clutch.

This is probably the way i will go, so i will keep you in mind once i build the new engine, in the mean time i have sent my m20 flywheel and clutch assy away to get reworked as much as it can and hope it will do on this engine. The dyno should show if it starts to slip right?

This is probably the way i will go, so i will keep you in mind once i build the new engine, in the mean time i have sent my m20 flywheel and clutch assy away to get reworked as much as it can and hope it will do on this engine. The dyno should show if it starts to slip right?

dont need a dyno for that one my pissy m42 slips on 10lb with a ceramic clutch on 250hp im sure you get the idea

I got my turbo wastegates downpipes and waste runners back yesterday, i should be getting the manifold back from getting the faces planed on Monday, then sending it straight to get coated. i hope to have it on the engine and in the car next weekend fingers crossed :)

This weekend i will be installing new lower control arms with e30 outer ball joints as they don't have play in them like e36 ones, z3 steering rack because less turns to full lock and engine x member because it has holes to mount with the x brace. so its all go tomorrow :)

dont need a dyno for that one my pissy m42 slips on 10lb with a ceramic clutch on 250hp im sure you get the idea

Im hoping this will do for what the stock engine can put out, i really just want to speed the project along a bit, its getting sunny and i want to go out and enjoy what i have built :D as soon as it starts to slip ill be swapping it out for something mighty :P there is still alot to do like the drivetrain, gearbox driveshaft diff and axles, rear subframe, speaking of rear subframe and components does the E46 rear end fit into the e36?

sh*t im thinking i need some sponsors haha

Im hoping this will do for what the stock engine can put out, i really just want to speed the project along a bit, its getting sunny and i want to go out and enjoy what i have built :D as soon as it starts to slip ill be swapping it out for something mighty :P there is still alot to do like the drivetrain, gearbox driveshaft diff and axles, rear subframe, speaking of rear subframe and components does the E46 rear end fit into the e36?

without the turbo the clutch will be fine ps: if it all goes wrong watch your feet

sh*t im thinking i need some sponsors haha

hahahaha ive given up doing that too many tossers cant understand what your meant to do for the sponcer they think its free ride and unless your on the world stage dont even try if you cant afford to go racing then change hobbies

Edited by crunchy

without the turbo the clutch will be fine ps: if it all goes wrong watch your feet

Ok i like my feet, way to put the shits in me lol Alright i better do some shopping around.. not to fond of big metal discs flying around, had a new bench top grinding wheel explode into 3 pieces at 10k rpm and hit me an the face a few years back, that didnt feel very nice haha

hahahaha ive given up doing that too many tossers cant understand what your meant to do for the sponcer they think its free ride and unless your on the world stage dont even try if you cant afford to go racing then change hobbies

What! its not a free ride??? haha

I spoke to MP Autoparts in Upper Hutt a couple months ago about making a clutch for me

Asked for a max clamp oem pressure plate with a solid centre 3 puk disc

and they quoted me about $500 mark

If I remember correctly they thought it would hold up to around 450ish whp

Wouldnt be a friendly clutch for a daily but price and availability is higher on my list

Crunchy-

Whats the details on your M42 clutch?

I spoke to MP Autoparts in Upper Hutt a couple months ago about making a clutch for me

Asked for a max clamp oem pressure plate with a solid centre 3 puk disc

and they quoted me about $500 mark

If I remember correctly they thought it would hold up to around 450ish whp

Wouldnt be a friendly clutch for a daily but price and availability is higher on my list

Crunchy-

Whats the details on your M42 clutch?

2500 lb OS GIKEN single plate

speaking of rear subframe and components does the E46 rear end fit into the e36?

No.

So i found out that e30 ball joints dont fit in e36 lower control arms in the weekend but i did find a supplier that does the larger size solid ball joint which i fitted today. Happy days also was looking at the z3 x brace that i installed and was thinking i wonder if the sump is going to hit on it..... hmmmm?

EDIT: After doing some quick searching on google it should be fine :D

Edited by Garett

Ok after a lot of thinking, at some point im going to have to go and get a new gearbox and install the new engine, so i have gone with the standard m20 clutch set up just uprated with ceramic paddle plate and duel diafram set up then upgrade the clutch to suit at the time and sell this one.

Some pics below the guys at auto clutch did a great job.

Check out the clamping pressure... may need to strenthen my firewall i think.

post-2228-1348173221.jpg

post-2228-1348173230.jpg

post-2228-1348173236.jpg

post-2228-1348173257.jpg

post-2228-1348173330.jpg

Looks impressive. Autoclutch sure know their sh*t! Not like those tossers in Wairau valley (won't name).

I'd recommend using a hydro release bearing with the dual diaphragm. No fork setup can compare IMO.

Dynamic Raceparts is the go-to for them, not sure if Peter is still around though, but awesome customer service!

http://www.dynamicraceparts.com/

I think you will get sick of that setup really quick.

+1 my NASCAR clutch cost me 300us flywheel i made but around 500 to buy but some need to find out the hard way

+1 my NASCAR clutch cost me 300us flywheel i made but around 500 to buy but some need to find out the hard way

+1 :)

Check out the clamping pressure... may need to strenthen my firewall i think.

All I'll say on this matter is think about the loading that will go on the crank thrust bearings trying to get a dual diaphragm to release plus the load on a cast flywheel that was designed for 1300lb clamp pressure plate. If you have to go that heavy to get a single plate to hold then you need to go twin- I'm sure it will be fine but I get alot of customers calling with problems from AC going to heavy on the clamp.