Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Fitness

I do a lot of weight lifting ----------------- 335 ml at a time Jim Beam mostly :lol:

Make sure you use both arms, dont want to get lopsided.

you can see the difference in body build. Sprinters are buff. while long distance runners are skeletons. do sprint suicides imo like i do

Your born with either fast twitch muscle or not,your never going to change from naturally lean long distance style runner to sprinter no matter how hard you try.

but in reply to original post ,it depends on whether you want weight loss or fitness increase,

Simple weight loss is really just burning more calories than you consume and if you compare rates quoted on all the equipment running burns more than cycling or rowing for same time dependant on speed and incline

has the downfall of being harder on joints etc

(I never run on treadmill without incline of 2 min,flat 0 just seems to be too unrealistic)

So you find what you prefer and fits your time and try to mix and match,

personally being 47 I finding the running is starting to make my body joints suffer and reckon that stretching and pilates yoga or martial arts has a lot of potential. Don't laugh try to sit thru a yoga lesson its harder than it looks and you'll be buggered at the end.Nzers are all generally way to unsupple and you notice the fit old buggers are the ones that are actually more nimble or supple.Look at those old asians market gardeners. Watch an old person try to shuffle under the steering wheel and even Im finding I draw breath and give it conscious thought now. Bob Charles was the man,stretched supple seems to be crucial to good health.

Edited by kwhelan

Everyone's basis for fitness is individual and according to what they want or want to achieve.

Loving the expert opinions though ;)

[quote Everyone's basis for fitness is individual and according to what they want or want to achieve.

yep totally and where you started from,being in the airforce with all that PT training I think you probably already knew the answer to your question.Seriously doubt your a lazy person with that sort of past so its probably more time management thats slipped,just never sleep then you got 8 spare hours to workout,plenty of time for gym then. :P

quote I know theres a few keen cyclists on here haha.

Don't join them ,theyre a pain to car loving road users,Hastings has just divided its roads up into 3 lanes just for them and were none too happy,someone is gonna be hit and its the cyclist who will come off worst.

Edited by kwhelan

[quote Everyone's basis for fitness is individual and according to what they want or want to achieve.

yep totally and where you started from,being in the airforce with all that PT training I think you probably already knew the answer to your question.Seriously doubt your a lazy person with that sort of past so its probably more time management thats slipped,just never sleep then you got 8 spare hours to workout,plenty of time for gym then. :P

quote I know theres a few keen cyclists on here haha.

Don't join them ,theyre a pain to car loving road users,Hastings has just divided its roads up into 3 lanes just for them and were none too happy,someone is gonna be hit and its the cyclist who will come off worst.

Haha I should probably mention I was only in there for 6months... And I am definitely a lazy person, lack the motivation to actually get up and do something.

As for cycling, I'm in Hamilton so I intend to keep it off the streets, my understanding is that there's a shared footpath/cycleway along the river that stretches pretty much the length of Hamilton. Oh and if I do get a bike I think i'll fit a mirror so I can at least pretend to be courteous :D

I dont know a single person in Hastings that likes those cycle lanes... worst idea ever.

Bahh, I've been feeling guilty for too long now, so I've started a weekly push up routine tonight. ^ You should do the same!

In the summer I go mountain biking 2-3 times a week and play squash 2-3 times a week.

The squash is hard on the joints but it's alot of fun when there's 6 of us who just play for fun.

Winter just consists of ice hockey. 2 trainings a week plus 2 games.

I can't do the gym it's to boring lol

In the summer I go mountain biking 2-3 times a week and play squash 2-3 times a week.

The squash is hard on the joints but it's alot of fun when there's 6 of us who just play for fun.

Winter just consists of ice hockey. 2 trainings a week plus 2 games.

I can't do the gym it's to boring lol

That sounds like great fun ;)

I mentioned it before, for the oldies and young-ins with F'd joints like me. Swimming is the answer, do it.

I mentioned it before, for the oldies and young-ins with F'd joints like me. Swimming is the answer, do it.

Try having Severe Haemophilia D:

ACTUALLY, a close family member has Haemophilia..

Run 130km a week, cycle on my rest days, 30min core workout + pilates 3 x a week.

Cycling is good for getting fit because low impact on joints etc. Spin bike sessions at the gym are also really beneficial. Swimming is all good and well if you like staring at a black line at the bottom of the pool for hours.

@ nath try running on some trails instead of footpaths ;)

Edited by Brams

Guest Ari Gold

Run 130km a week, cycle on my rest days, 30min core workout + pilates 3 x a week.

Cycling is good for getting fit because low impact on joints etc. Spin bike sessions at the gym are also really beneficial. Swimming is all good and well if you like staring at a black line at the bottom of the pool for hours.

Spot the athlete :D

Totally agree with you re: pool, have just invested in waterproof headphones and a dry bag to alleviate boredom.

Why not jam in on this.. Used to run 50+km a week easy. 174cm and 63kg = fit but to be fair too light.

Swapped that for a diet of work stress, girlfriend hassles, and beer. = 69kg and no exercise regime.

My mum told me I had my dads stomach which freaked the hell out of me, so resumed my old resistance programme - self developed and nothing special - and moved the weight from fat to muscle, so finally not such a scrawny c**t...

4 weeks later, still 69kg (success), back to acceptable summer abs and chest, don't feel like such a fat bastard, and still eating and drinking like beer's going out of fashion (aye Sam?).

High metabolism helps, but simple cardio plus great form on basic exercises = great results. Gym membership = woftam.

Swapped that for a diet of work stress, girlfriend hassles, and beer. = 69kg and no exercise regime.

Wait till you hit over 30 bro .. no more pies and donuts anymore.

As for fitness, been doing quite a bit of running / training for this Auckland marathon thing .. Has been pretty fun TBH .. this is coming from a ex-couch potato.

I had considered entering the Hamilton half-marathon, but unfortunately it's on moving day, and also being a poor student I can't afford the entry fee lol.

So far I've just been running the 3.9kms around the Hamilton Lake, but I think i really should be doing it twice. And more often than once a week!

I play prem hockey during the winter, gym 5 times a week and I mountain bike. Getting chubs atm due to broken hand and cbf doing any exercise :)

Walk 2kms a day (lunchbreak) And do 3x 1hr sessions on the weights a week. Need to ramp up the cardio/core training as still carrying around a lil bit of a middle aged spread.

177cm 81kg. Training to Gain mass atm. Eating right is the hardest bit!

the gym (is) so fkn boring and (you're) was surrounded by juiced up meatheads.

Pelvic thrusts for me seem to do the trick.

This.

I skate every other day too. Maybe there's 2 months a year I'm not skating. Def picked up the kg's in my belly though since I hit my 20s.

Was 60kg through 17 - 20. I'm 73kg now and I'm pretty sure I haven't grown upwards at all. 160 - 170cm, somewhere about that.

I'm getting tits now too so it's probably time to go for a run or something.