Sign in to follow this  
EVILRE30

Biggest Repair bill?

Hey guys whats the biggest/Highest quote or repair bill you have received to repair your BMW?Just curious to see how much these cars cost us average commuters.

One of the largest BMW repairs I've done was $12,500 (E65)... The largest bill I've done was on a Mercedes 500SEL... $23,000

Edited by *Glenn*

Hey guys whats the biggest/Highest quote or repair bill you have received to repair your BMW?Just curious to see how much these cars cost us average commuters.

E36 shouldn't be more that $4000 (diffs, gearboxes, engines etc) if something went seriously wrong. Usually not more that $400-500 bucks (brake changes, bushes, hoses, liquids etc). But I could be wrong as I usually do everything myself lol. E36s are pretty simple car to work with and there are plenty DIYs on any common problems that you might have, so as long as your car is totally broken I would buy parts myself and do everything myself. You can always ask people on this forum if you have any questions or need help with any particular problem, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on here that are happy to help.

Edited by swordfish

^ due to an accident or a muppet owner not looking after it?

The E65 was Airbag and suspension WOF repairs. The Merc was the result of a a lady driving the car all day with a funny little orange light on.... coolant level light on... then the car stopped... she rang me and said she had a flat battery. I won't say who it was

$23000 on the 330i for body work when I owned it.

Servicing bill 6k for gear box in 330i.

Quickly learnt to service and do things myself :P

We've done some epically big bills, none of which i'll list.

on my E36 325i the most was $3800 on wear items at around 225k km including rotors,pads,sensors, front tyres and insecption II. Otherwise $400 -$600 roughly every 14,000km for BMW Dealer service including synth oil.

Edited by Neal

Mums E36, was quoted $2500.00 to fix the air con leak which required the entire dash to be removed hence the labour costs were huge. Me and my brother did it instead. Otherwise never had any parts hit four figures yet. My E34 is not too bad either.

try a high powered GTR....

$5k - gearbox

$20k - motor

$2.5K - turbos

$6k - brakes....

the list is endless....

By comparison my M5 $400 every two years is a dream. Although I always service yearly anyway.

Our E36 did a headgasket and something went wrong with the headlights. $3500 at the dealers later...

$7700 to have the wife’s Hyundai Sanfe reconditioned.

That’s with me dropping out the motor & gear box and helping putting it back in.

I’m going to be checking her oil from now on.

The only positive is I now have some leverage when I want to spend

some money on my car for something “I want†not need. I have to say

she knows me too well as her first comment when hearing the costs was

“it’s not dollar for dollar†:rolleyes: bugger

I've had a few close to $2k in my old e30, but I was being 'proactive'.

Doesn't it feel great hearing about other people’s car bills that are worse than yours? Haha. Especially when they are 'non enthusiasts' who drop $5k into a Golf or something.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to swap in a new motor than pay $3k+ for a head gasket repair?

I had the cooling system fully overhauled at the same time I got the manual conversion done, that was around $3.5k total iirc

I'd hate to add up all the parts and labour I've paid for over the years, would be probably the same as what I paid for the car in the first place lol

I've had a few close to $2k in my old e30, but I was being 'proactive'.

Doesn't it feel great hearing about other people’s car bills that are worse than yours? Haha. Especially when they are 'non enthusiasts' who drop $5k into a Golf or something.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to swap in a new motor than pay $3k+ for a head gasket repair?

i t would be cheaper in the first instance..but how do you know you wont need to do the head gasket soon on the "new" one?

Don't even want to think about it!

All up (over about 4 years) I've spent about $3.5k on parts & some labour (learnt to DIY now) replacing all the bits that fail after 25 years on an e30 I bought for $2.6k.