Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

AMI insurance

This poor bastard

I'm not acquainted with the full facts on this but it appears that AMI won't pay these people out because they fell asleep at the wheel, now forgive me but wouldn't that be classed as an accident and isn't that the reason you have insurance to cover things such as accidents, theft, fire e.t.c. ?

I'm not with AMI now because of an issue I had with them a few years back (they paid out on an item that was 6 months old but devalued it) - I've shifted everything to a broker which consists mostly of NZI and Tower. We deal with the odd insurance claim at work and find AMI the worst company of them all to deal with.

If he could afford the Merc he could have afforded a decent lawyer to challenge the decision. Suspect there is a fair bit more to the story than just falling aslepp.

Well, If thier argument is that he shouldnt drive when tired and it wouldnt have happened is thier arguement then i can see where they are coming from. Noone is awake and alert and then next thing you know your asleep.

that said, AMI were borderline bankrupt about 6 months ago and were bailed out by the government, all very hushed up so they didnt loose customers. was due to the Canterbury earthquake

I didnt think it was that hushed up... it was all over the news, headline story for a good week or so...

I think there is probably more to that story too.

Plus, you aren't fit to be driving if you are tired/sleepy! I would think you would know you are drowsy, and probably nearly fell alseep a couple of times before you'd fall asleep enough to lose control. It doesn't just sneak up on you - I used to do about 65,000kms a year, and knew when I was getting tired. I don't want people not fit to drive on the road when my family and I are out there.

I think you'll probably find he was charged by the police with dangerous driving, and AMI declined based on that AND something he's not telling.

I have no qualms with AMI - they payed out on a $3500 windscreen claim for my VW. They ordered a Genuine VW windscreen (no aftermarket or genuine windscreens in the country at the time), had it shipped in, fitted it and had me back on the road in a week. I was happy for it to take longer - it was only a crack. They wanted it sorted, so did it all.

Yes, I will stand up for AMI too.

I do repairs for them and often think to myself - I would not have paid out on that !

Plus they were very helpful and friendly and helpful last week when my son ( 21yr old ) had to claim.

2 sides to every story !

I'm with AMI and had two claims with them .. one before and one after the qaukes and all I can say is they have been nothing but good to me. No corner cutting or shonky cliam dodging here.

Remember people protest online without the full story as stated by others. Its a common behalvior.

Remember we live in a accountibless society!

My cousin fell asleep in a Ford explorer and crashed through a fish and chip shop very early one morning (luckily) and i'm 99% positive AMI was his insurer and they paid out for all the costs.

Feel bad for the guy but like the other fellas said, always 2 sides to every story.

A truck crashed into my (parked) old car and wrote it off while we were insured with AMI. We were paid out for the car of course, but it was nowhere near covering the other costs we had to pay because of the crash so we tried for compensation costs.

Rather than looking into the situation and talking to the truck driver's insurance company, AMI made excuses like "it was a narrow road", as if they were defending the truck driver. Bullshit - hundreds of trucks go along the road daily without a single accident. The truck driver had been careless and we should have had some form of compensation. As far as I know he was fired because of the crash but we got nothing but the very minimum payout.

Needless to say we're with AA insurance with my new car.

Remember we live in a accountibless society!

Excellent, today's word of the day, mainly because it is so true. Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Well AMI is part of IAG Insurance.

Same as State - NZI - NAC - Swann etc

They all got the same reputation dont they.

Well AMI is part of IAG Insurance.

Same as State - NZI - NAC - Swann etc

They all got the same reputation dont they.

I don't think it is, nz owned hence the government bail out.

Happy to be corrected though.

I don't think it is, nz owned hence the government bail out.

Happy to be corrected though.

Story

In April AMI secured a $500m Government guarantee but it has not drawn on that.

Australian insurance giant IAG has not ruled out job cuts at AMI Insurance after the announcement it will buy the struggling Canterbury insurer for $380 million, but not its earthquake claims.

But IAG, New Zealand's largest general insurer, is pledging to provide home insurance to all AMI's existing customers when their policies come up for renewal or customers want to transfer the policy to another property.

Edited by sp8s

The IAG procurment is a new thing. Happened (is happening) in the last 2 months.

I'm not going to come in with a story as everyone else has of course but have had only good relations with them

I didnt think it was that hushed up... it was all over the news, headline story for a good week or so...

Ha they sent me a letter explaining their stroy.

There is definitely two sides to every story. There's always going to be some bad stories for all of them.

As to that compensation thing, no automotive insurances provide cover for consequential costs (whether to the insured or in the form of liability). Meaning the truck's insurance company wouldn't have paid out, so you would have had to chase the driver independently and it is highly likely to have provided any beneficial result after many months of wrangling, so they just saved you time and effort.

There is definitely two sides to every story. There's always going to be some bad stories for all of them.

As to that compensation thing, no automotive insurances provide cover for consequential costs (whether to the insured or in the form of liability). Meaning the truck's insurance company wouldn't have paid out, so you would have had to chase the driver independently and it is highly likely to have provided any beneficial result after many months of wrangling, so they just saved you time and effort.

As the actual driver was acting for the company at the time it's the company that is responsible (i.e whilst he's on the payroll the company is responsible for him/her) and they should have had insurance for the damage and public liability insurance, most businesses have this which covers loss of income and or loss of productivity and depending on the policy they can cover either corporate or private clients (for damaged they have caused)

Really? I dont own a TV and dont intend too so didnt know that! I dont recall seeing it on stuff

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

They sent me a letter telling me the situation, you own a mailbox?

They sent me a letter telling me the situation, you own a mailbox?

Insured with Tower/Fintel or which ever company will take me. Its like hot potato with that outfit

never been with AMI, so can't comment

NZI tried putting my excess up from $300 to $1500 and premiums from $650 to $900 when I told them I had put a pod in

so I took my business to Vero, who laughed their heads off when I told them about NZI

also premiums are now $425, win win

I think I stated I have insurance through a broker which is NZI and Tower, but I have a UTV insured with them and I have a 5k excess and named operators. No one and it can be embarrassing actually, is allowed to drive it bar the main people on the policy especially offroad.

I'm not sure how you'd even break that Polaris Ranger anyway... :S Maybe if you roll it.