Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Track Hacks?

It occurred to me the other day with all the countless dollars I've spent making up a soft, road going E36 with a V8 in it I could have alternatively built up a really nice track hack. Kind of frustrating to realise this in hindsight!

I suppose I could always make the V8 into a track car, but I don't really want to do go down that route, I'm happy leaving it as a Sunday driver for the time being. Of course I've have no regrets doing what I have, it has been a priceless learning curve and I'm stoked with how it's turned out (albeit not quite complete)

So anyway, I am curious what are people using as track hacks? Not necessarily for specific events like the E30 series but just a car for getting out on open track days and similar events?

I've been pondering on what would make a fun, cost effective car for the track. Hypothetically the car would need to be relatively tidy mechanically, manual, have the interior stripped out, a cage and some proper seats fitted, suspension replaced with appropriate coil overs, track worthy brakes and bush upgrades, shorter diff ratio and an LSD thrown in. That goes without saying the engine properly serviced, extra cooling and a light tune where necessary (exhaust etc). Essentially something that would be safe, capable in the bends with a bit of straight line performance...

An E30 M20 or E36 M50 seem to be what I've been thinking of as ideal, or even an M52 E36. From what I gather the sedan chassis is the most rigid of the lot, but with a cage it would probably be less of an issue in the long run.

Trouble starts when I think about non BMW cars to use, yes Toyota, Nissan and Honda have some superb engines, but most of the cars they put them in are front wheel drive which rules them out to a degree - it's a pity they weren't more diverse with smaller RWD cars in the 90s! Not to mention most of their cars are hardly inspiring from a history stand point... I guess that's why they have come out with the FT-86!

Anyway, do share your experiences and what you've been running just to get out on the track.

Cheers

E36 m3. Or one of them non compliant fd rx7s would be my pick.

My E30 built half-wayish to E30 specs was a good fun track hack for the 2 times I had it out. Pretty cheap too, although I can see how it'd be easy to get bored with an M20 if you weren't restricted to the race series specs.

Edited by huff3r

Honda Integra Type R (late 90's). Cheap to build, easy to get spare parts, easy to get more horsepower, pretty reliable and cheap to buy. The Jap import type R comes with a factory LSD! 5 of my mates have them and they are doing 1.20's - 1.23's around HD with just intake and exhaust mods, coilovers, seats, belts and semi slicks!

Most fun you can have for under 10K and faster than an E30 :D

I did the same as you .. poured a lot of $$$ into a e46 330 only to realise I didn't want to thrash it as it was my daily driver.

A few learnings from building a hardcore road car / track day car.

You'll want something simple to fix / service

Weight is everything if you want something that will set good times (poodling around the track gets old after a few track days and youll want to go faster)

Your brake package needs to be good performance / cheapish parts.

LSD

Suspension is key for good fun

Tires, move to slicks or dot approved. Using road tires and gets expensive and old fast. Get some second wheels for you slicks, easy to pile up in the car the night before.

For your exhaust, you can have the best of both worlds. I installed a full freeflow loud system however, run a removible center muffler for road legal noises.

When running a stripped interior, get yourself a race shell you can bolt in. Theyre nice and light and help a lot with confidence instead of sliding around the road seats.

Lots of other small things, but getting yourself something your going to enjoy on the road just as much as the track is key. Allows you to use it on the track day 'off season'.

Honda Integra Type R (late 90's). Cheap to build, easy to get spare parts, easy to get more horsepower, pretty reliable and cheap to buy. The Jap import type R comes with a factory LSD! 5 of my mates have them and they are doing 1.20's - 1.23's around HD with just intake and exhaust mods, coilovers, seats, belts and semi slicks!

This. Regret selling mine so much

I wouldn't go for an e30 track car. Poor brakes, even poorer steering, and next to no power. I agree with e38king, is go for a late 90s Integra type R. Fantastic motor/diff/gearbox/suspension. Indestructible too!

The problem is finding an unmolested example.

Otherwise if you're insisting on a rwd, an mx5 with a cage is great fun if you don't mind a lack of power and aren't too tall.

E36 M3, great on track car, faultless....most of the time.

I'd also agree any Type R Honda, stock standard ready for track use, put some sticky slicks on it and it'll out corner quite a few track dedicated cars with ease.

I wouldn't go for an e30 track car. ...., even poorer steering, ....

Why is this? I've replaced all of my front suspension units with new/newest parts as possible on a lighter m40 engine, but it still feels vague and the steering response is poor for turn in and exit (imprecise and "off' feeling)

+1 on the Integra type r (dc2), good motor and handling (just dont mind the squeaking from the interior components), but like e30's, finding a good un-molested and reasonably priced one is few and far in between.

E36 328 over the M3. Reasonable power with M50 manifold and much cheaper to replace when it lunches itself.

Throw a lightened flywheel and decent clutch in it, short E30 LSD, some decent suspension (you dont _need_ coilovers), strip it out, throw some seats in it, E46 brakes and spend the rest of the time trying to break it.

Easy.

+1

That way if you want to continue to upgrade it, you can.

My old e30 325i was doing 1:21's with just semi's and decent brake pads, anything can do a decent time if it is setup properly. Even my old e30 318i auto with 14" 195's triangles managed to do a 1:28 before the brakes caught fire.

I wouldn't go for an e30 track car.

I have many times, its a great base for any track hack. The chassis forgives, parts are cheap and it doesn't cost to much to get a new chassis when you bend it.

E36 328 over the M3. Reasonable power with M50 manifold and much cheaper to replace when it lunches itself.

Throw a lightened flywheel and decent clutch in it, short E30 LSD, some decent suspension (you dont _need_ coilovers), strip it out, throw some seats in it, E46 brakes and spend the rest of the time trying to break it.

Easy.

Every E36 I have driven has been a bore, be it 328i or M3 they just lacked the fun factor for me.