Sign in to follow this  
sanderm3

e46 m3 exhaust

One of our sales cars had this, was very loud! Wasn't the best sounding either.

Yeah not surprised on what Greg Said.

Any system with straight pipes at the rear end is going to sound harsh...

You need a good muffler at the back of the car to give it a smooth, controlled sound with more depth.

Mandrel bent tubing to ensure smooth air flow

Ha!

might sound like a stupid question but is it possible to put this sort of exhaust system onto a 330i? Dual exhaust?

I thought it would be possible but obvioulsy having to change the bumper on the car to ensure it looks correct

might sound like a stupid question but is it possible to put this sort of exhaust system onto a 330i? Dual exhaust?

I thought it would be possible but obvioulsy having to change the bumper on the car to ensure it looks correct

Yep, have a look on e46fanatics.com for it. lots of people have done this before. Looks a bit strange because they mount the other one on the same area oppersite looks too far apart compared to m3.

Pretty sure the M3 has a different pressing under the floor of the boot. There isn't room for this type of muffler, but you can fake it, which is probably why they look a little odd with the spacing.

Pretty sure the M3 has a different pressing under the floor of the boot. There isn't room for this type of muffler, but you can fake it, which is probably why they look a little odd with the spacing.

That is correct, half the tyre well is gone on the m3 to allow for the muffler to fit high up and sideways across the back behind the bumper.

Unneeded tyre well means more room for badass exhauset. You counld get the tyre well cut out but the ratio of M3 exhaust-money spent fitting it doesn't make sense.

I am still thinking about changing the exhaust but not realy sure what to do. what are your ideas? (without spending a huge amount of money like some peaple do)

I am still thinking about changing the exhaust but not realy sure what to do. what are your ideas? (without spending a huge amount of money like some peaple do)

I would go custom! There are a lot of shops in NZ that can make a quality, well-sounding exhaust for a very reasonable price. Plus you can ask them to do any type and any size exhaust for you as you are not fixed on manufacture's specifications...

Sanderm3 - If you're up in AKL sometime I'm happy to take you for a drive in mine - supersprint backbox, the rest looks standard. Makes a hell of a difference in terms of noise over stock.

Looks like one of the tips is damaged too. The one on the far right

Kinda OT but far out, $2k for a second-hand muffler??!!

But I guess what you pay for...

I would go custom! There are a lot of shops in NZ that can make a quality, well-sounding exhaust for a very reasonable price. Plus you can ask them to do any type and any size exhaust for you as you are not fixed on manufacture's specifications...

yeah that could be a idea, might just have to go to a few places and see what they kan do

Sanderm3 - If you're up in AKL sometime I'm happy to take you for a drive in mine - supersprint backbox, the rest looks standard. Makes a hell of a difference in terms of noise over stock.

oh cool, im not up there often but i will let you know if i am, it would be good to here it in person!! thanks