Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

99 523I rebirth

Well after 4month wait and a huge thank you to Manawatu towing for doing the 150k round trip i finally got to pick up my wagon

here's how i first found her 4 months ago

post-17370-1360828589.jpg

gave her a quick couple of washes over the past four months this was yesterday just off the tow truck

post-17370-1360828728.jpg

after her first proper wash in roughly a year

post-17370-1360828842.jpg

looks nice expect for the swirls

post-17370-1360828910.jpg

after 3 hours of clay bar cutting polishing and waxing one side down....... :rolleyes:

post-17370-1360828996.jpg

wax and swirls away :D

post-17370-1360829056.jpg

tried to start her today after a full 15hours of battery on charge, she tried no petrol haha damm you car tomorrows job get petrol

Maguairs gold class wash, maguairs clay bar, 3m rubbing compound, 3m cleaner wax and to finish maguairs gold class wax all hand applied

So on the to do list is get a new battery, fluid change wonder what oil to use as everyone seems to different things 197k on clock air filter spark plugs if I can find them it was dark though

ok so not a good day today put 10l of petrol in it was turning over but no cigar. This is odd as 4 months ago it started first time, I drove it up and down the road and left it running for 10-15 mins, guess the fun really begins :angry:

Edited by Mr2low

You may have sucked all the sh*t that was in the tank into the fuel filter and could be blocked, or still not enough fuel for it to pick up

The fuel pump may have failed? they don't last long when your low on fuel.

Yup definitely either pump or blocked filter there was fuel in the rail but when I started it without the feed on nothing at all came through. Checked relay when turning it on seems fine ie clicks into life clicks when u turn power off.

hate only having a couple of hours a day after work to play, tonight job clean shed out enough to fit this thing in. So I can start dismantling it.

any one know if its an inline or in pump filter ? And rough price?

Edited by Mr2low

Try this might help

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E39/Tour...99/june/browse/

Fuel pump is in the tank, has fuel filter mounted left inside chassis rail up front. The finished product looks goods always rewarding to see the finished item must say it looked in reasonable condition despite having been left for so long unattended best of luck in bringing it back.

Cheers for the link helped massively when I got the bottom of the back seat out and went which side is the pump lol. The paint looks really good well the one side I've done until you get closer. I'm going to pull out the power tools on it later on see what I can do with it.

Also finally got it in the garage this was a f#$@ as let you tell me pushing a 2100+kg wagon up and down the drive way to line it up for the garage by yourself with a slight incline is not to be recommended, but its done now.

Calling a couple of places tomorrow for pricing on the pump, tried to fire it up with jumper link on relay input but still no joy.

in the mean time I'll vacuum it out start on the carpets and leather, other side of body, bonnet and the worst part the roof especially when your 5"7 and the wheels, which have some of the most caked on brake dust I've ever seen

Edited by Mr2low

has it got spark , pull one coil out plug in a spark plug , crank it over.

these engines have issues with crank and cam sensors failing , poor insulation , breaks down from heat etc.

easy to test the pump ,

remove , stick it in a bucket or fuel , hook up 12volts and see if it goes.

listen for the sound it makes should be a nice hum , not crackly etc

i have brought many cars that have sat for years and the fuel and pumps still work fine etc

but i suppose could have got damaged if it was sucking air , they just burn out as they use the fuel to keep the pump cool

thought id go with pump first as when I pulled fuel line off i cranked it nothing came out. This is after id put 10l in, i reckon i cooked it when i tried starting it only to find no petrol. semi amusing thing is about 3 months ago my mum tried to start the 540 sedan cranked over put wouldnt start how funny would two dead fuel pumps be, when i pick that up i will put petrol in just incase, before i try :rolleyes: .

Lazy day today couldn't be bothered to do too much so pulled headlight off and emptied cup full of water out, tried polishing it up but its not even touched the surface haha little pun there. I'm gonna go buy some 3000-1000 grit sand paper used this before as a temporary fix on my mr2 taillights came up like brand new. I did just find replacement facelift style lenses on tm has anyone tried these could be a good option if I can't polish it out. http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.as...27158&rfm=1

wondering on quality, fitment etc

Well emailed Jeff gray BMW today for a price on fuel pump had to laugh 550inc gst, now on the hunt for a cheaper fuel pump

Edited by Mr2low

Well fuel pump sorted $180 done just remembered I was supposed to get sandpaper dam and its my day off tomorrow guess its an hour long walk to mitre 10 for sandpaper, yay.

quick question should I get some 15w40 or 10w40 to throw in after I get it running thinking the thicker oil would help to clean it out before I go stick 0w40 in

Well fuel pump sorted $180 done just remembered I was supposed to get sandpaper dam and its my day off tomorrow guess its an hour long walk to mitre 10 for sandpaper, yay.

quick question should I get some 15w40 or 10w40 to throw in after I get it running thinking the thicker oil would help to clean it out before I go stick 0w40 in

180 is quite a bit cheaper than 550! Some cheap pumps can be noisy though - Airtex brand I put in the Mrs subaru was replaced 3 times under warranty, and I didn't even put the last one in - I brought a Walbro, and it was silent from day 1.

All those 3 oils are the same thickness when at operating temperature (100C). There is only a difference when cold (20C), the 0W will flow better, but it will still get thinner as it heats up. thicker oil shouldn't clean better I don't think - good oil should though - so No, it would just be a waste of money. Those oil numbers don't work the way that most people THINK they do :o

But have fun walking an hour to Mitre 10 :P

Well that makes sense for the oil grrr I've forgot soo much stuff lately must be my old age creeping in. As for the fuel pump meh I'll just turn the stereo up haha but in all seriousness I would expect a little more noise but there was no way I was going to spend $550 on the pump, i know I'm spending mid 200 on a battery another $200ish for oil and filter that's before i even get to take it for its wof so I can spend another 400 on new rego plates.

the only thing that worries me is that Jeff gray in Wellington took the cat out due to it being blocked will not be a happy man if this hinders me.

Fuel pump turned up this morning, finished sanding and polishing the headlights last night 4 hours of work and headlights that look like new again, when I finish work tonights task, remove old pump and fit new one and hopefully start it, if the battery has enough grunt without a recharge as that needs to be replaced next

Edited by Mr2low

Fuel pump turned up this morning, finished sanding and polishing the headlights last night 4 hours of work and headlights that look like new again, when I finish work tonights task, remove old pump and fit new one and hopefully start it, if the battery has enough grunt without a recharge as that needs to be replaced next

I doubt jeff gray will have removed the cat without replacing without expicit intrsuctions from the owner.Make sure you get a battery with the correct rating ,these cars have a lot of electrical loads.Low voltages can cause issues of their own.

I doubt they would of either, well got the pump in. Gonna grab some more petrol tomorrow and give the battery a charge see how we go.

I doubt they would of either, well got the pump in. Gonna grab some more petrol tomorrow and give the battery a charge see how we go.

good luck with it

Yep, as above - put the correct battery in the car. If it is a monitor equipped then it should be a DIN 88/92 - depending on brand

Lazy day today couldn't be bothered to do too much so pulled headlight off and emptied cup full of water out, tried polishing it up but its not even touched the surface haha little pun there. I'm gonna go buy some 3000-1000 grit sand paper used this before as a temporary fix on my mr2 taillights came up like brand new. I did just find replacement facelift style lenses on tm has anyone tried these could be a good option if I can't polish it out. http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.as...27158&rfm=1

wondering on quality, fitment etc

Those are pre-facelift headlights. FL ones look like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-564623973.htm

Probably cheaper to buy from eBay and ship.