Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Shadowline or bust

When I bought my car it had chrome window trim. I've been hunting around for about the last year for gloss black shadowline trim to little avail. To buy new from the dealer is upwards of $3K. From overseas half that but $1500 still seems pretty insane for window trim. I've found matte black shadowline for much less but it's not what I'm after.

As a temporary measure and to see what it looked like I vinyl wrapped the trim (particularly as the door pillars were pretty worn too) and it looks good but I hate the ends where I can see the stretched and folded vinyl. I like things to be done right!

The upshot of all this is I'm thinking of restoring the chrome trim and the more I think about it the more I like it. Here's a with and without comparison. Thoughts/preferences?

post-16586-1362541549.jpg

post-16586-1362541560.jpg

It is your car but what look are you after? all black and the vehicle has no definition. With the chrome around the windows it does nothing for it as well just seems to be too much black. Just an off chance might have that trim gloss black pm me.

i think chrome trim looks strange especially on your car.. its like saying "HEY GUYS THIS IS MY WINDOW!!!!!!"

my shadow trim has started to peel and fade.. been thinking of painting it.. plasti dipping it.. vinyling it.. i think i might try out the plasti dip see how that goes..

Option 1 with black wheels and a Justin Bieber hair cut would be awesome.

I really liked the gloss black shadow line on my old E60 M-Sport, was actually one of my favorit things about the car, looking out the window and the gloss black mirror stalks gave a real premium feel.

Option 1 with black wheels and a Justin Bieber hair cut would be awesome.

The haircut was a no brainer - looks magic on a near-40-year-old like me. Wish I was that confident with my car appearance choices but insted I seek the approval of wiser Bimmersporters to make me feel more like a man.

I really liked the gloss black shadow line on my old E60 M-Sport, was actually one of my favorit things about the car, looking out the window and the gloss black mirror stalks gave a real premium feel.

It's all about the luxury... I'm wondering whether the chrome window trim will remind me that I'm not in a Honda - or will it do the opposite?

Edited by jeffbebe

It is your car but what look are you after? all black and the vehicle has no definition. With the chrome around the windows it does nothing for it as well just seems to be too much black. Just an off chance might have that trim gloss black pm me.

I'm not after looking like a Russian gangster or a drug dealer (or Justin Bieber) and all blacked out it does seem to have that effect!! :unsure:

I have always liked the shadowline trim I had on my e34 - it was semi gloss, or whatever you call it (not very shiny). That is how I thought all shadowline always was.

Then I got e39 with gloss shadowline. If I was ordering a new car from a spec sheet I would never have selected it because to me the idea of high gloss piano black is something you see on a tv set. However, despite the idea of it not appealing to me I actually love it. I think it just looks awesome.

Keep hunting.

I think you're car looks pretty fantastic either way! I don't know how it is with new cars but removing and putting on window trim is tricky. I replaced a rubber seal recently and the trim pieces are very easy to bend...

I think you're car looks pretty fantastic either way! I don't know how it is with new cars but removing and putting on window trim is tricky. I replaced a rubber seal recently and the trim pieces are very easy to bend...

Thanks, I'm really keen to get it as close to mint as my shallow pockets allow. The vinyl wrap looks okay and was cheap to do but isn't perfect so not an ideal solution. If I can find gloss black trim that doesn't cost the earth I'll do it but otherwise I think I'll restore the chrome just to not have the vinyl wrap.

I like both.

Hope that helps.

Actually, Tony, it does thanks! I like both too, so happy to go back to chrome so I don't have any sh*tty bits of vinyl wrap on my car until I can source some genuine gloss black trim!

I like both.

Hope that helps.

I agree. Car looks stunning either way!

It seems the younger fellas like the shadowline... Thinking perhaps the chrome is probably more suitable for an elderly chap like myself.

chrome

have never ever been a fan of the blacked out on any older BM

chrome

have never ever been a fan of the blacked out on any older BM

What he said. It gives it the definition it needs, and a touch of class. Especially seeing as it really isn't even much chrome. Just a hint of it really (compared to PFL E30 for example)

Mines shadowline..no way in hell would I put chrome on it

Yours looks great as it is imo

Mines shadowline..no way in hell would I put chrome on it

Yours looks great as it is imo

Thanks. If it was proper shadowline trim I wouldn't change it but it's vinyl-wrapped chrome. It's hard to tell from a distance but I think it looks a bit DIY up close.

personal preference really.

I've gone to great lengths to remove all the chrome from mine. (inc badges)

I think it looks alot more modern.

I do like chrome on the older models.

Chrome belongs on some fat tank the yanks built

Jeff..You know u can spray the chrome trim-easily done & very nice !!

Chrome belongs on some fat tank the yanks built

Jeff..You know u can spray the chrome trim-easily done & very nice !!

Thought painting chrome could be a bit hit and miss as it can be hard to prep without the chrome peeling, etc?! Might be an option and probably way cheaper than replacing.

LOL ...Julian.....Well its not chrome for a start

just give it a good sand with wet & dry,a coat of etch primer & youre away..perfect

LOL ...Julian.....Well its not chrome for a start

just give it a good sand with wet & dry,a coat of etch primer & youre away..perfect

Yeah, I know it's not chrome. I meant the chrome finish can be difficult to paint... Haven't come across etch primer. What is it?

Yeah, I know it's not chrome. I meant the chrome finish can be difficult to paint... Haven't come across etch primer. What is it?

It's a type of primer that "etches" into difficult surfaces.