Sign in to follow this  
vanossa

Your opinions, please....

Hi. I'm in the market for an E39. Would anyone feel good about buying this one for 5k (ono)? What would be a reasonable offer? TIA.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-579379622.htm

or...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=577433957

Edited by vanossa

Maroon one looks tidy from photos. Price seems pretty standard to me assuming nothing wrong with it.

The Calypso Red one looks a much better buy. Am suspicious of aftermarket HID kits from the legality perspective - incorrect scatter pattern etc. Plus the sellers statement that most of the mileage is open road always bodes well.

Aside from budgeting in a cooling system overhaul (if it hasn't already been done) 5k seems to be a really good price :) happy hunting!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Yeah the 1999 model would be my pick if it drives well. Must be a mature owner I am guess. Motorway kms is a plus too.

The 1996 model looks like a muppet has owned it (modified headlights, low slung seat position, really dirty engine bay etc) AVOID!

Edited by Michael.

Yeah the 1999 model would be my pick if it drives well. Must be a mature owner I am guess. Motorway kms is a plus too.

The 1996 model looks like a muppet has owned it (modified headlights, low slung seat position, really dirty engine bay etc) AVOID!

And you never know what it has 'caught' from the Honda in pic 2 :lol::P

Edited by camera doctor

new one look better , tidier , and std spec not messed with.

but one advantage with the ealier 528i is the simpler single vanos engine and lower cost engine parts etc (same as e36 328i etc)

more reliable abs pump and few other electrical things that seam to fail more often on the later cars.

but maybe find a better example of the earlier ones , if thats your discession

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Thanks for those opinions. In the end I don't think I fancy either of the two. The first one may be a bit suspect as mentioned and the maroon one....on closer inspection, I'm not too keen on the grey coloured panels in the leather seats and interior. I'll wait for a while longer and research more. I'm still very keen on an E39 and expect to fork out around 5k for one?

Im curious as to why a 99 E39 doesnt have steptronic, was that an optional extra? Thought at that age they all had it.

Also note that there is an error code logged on the OBC. Could be something as simple as low washer fluid, or not.

The blue one looks very neglected, would not touch.

Details of the 1999

Type Value

VIN WBADD62080GT84443

Type code DD62

Type 528I (EUR)

E series E39 ()

Series 5

Type LIM

Steering RL

Doors 4

Engine M52

Displacement 2.80

Power 142

Drive HECK

Transmission AUT

Colour CALYPSOROT METALLIC (252)

Upholstery SOFTLEDER/SCHWARZ (N9SW)

Prod.date 1998-03-26

Options

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)

S266A LM RAEDER/RADIALSPEICHE 48 BMW light alloy wheel, radial spoke 48

S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip

S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical

S415A SONNENSCHUTZROLLO FUER HECKSCHEIBE Sun-blind, rear

S423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS Floor mats velours

S428A WARNDREIECK Warning triangle and first aid kit

S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package

S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjustment, electric, with memory

S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front

S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger

S500A SCHEINW.WASCHANL./INTENSIVREINIGUNG Headl.washer system/intensive cleaning

S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning

S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control

S548A KILOMETERTACHO Kilometre speedo

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)

S602A BORDMONITOR MIT TV On-board monitor withTV

S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system

S694A CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S763A INDIVIDUAL SERIE 80 ANNIVERSARY JAPAN Individual series Japan

S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite

S800A KATALYSATORANLAGE LAENDER Exhaust system, complete, countries

L807A JAPAN-AUSFUEHRUNG NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN

S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch

S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version

S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder

S875A INFRAROTFERNBEDIENUNG Infrared remote control

S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack

It won't be hard to find an E39 for $5K and it's a lot of car for the money. Expect to spend at least $1500-2000 on top though for maintenance, etc. As Brent says, parts for the single vanos M52B28 are cheaper and it's a great engine but things will go wrong. Look for a car that has had the cooling system done recently; if it's auto (as most are) either look for one that's recently had it fully serviced or expect to pay another $3-500 or do it properly.

All the small things add up and, if you're anything like me, you'll want the car to look and run like it did at 1000kms not 100,000kms, so it's hard to restrain yourself from repairing all the things that have worn, etc.

But let me tell you... It's worth it! Brilliant cars if well looked after.

Look for the e39 528 I posted for sale. Looking fr around $5k and all maintenance been done. Had it for like 10 years owned by my dad and still daily driver. Had a reconditioned engine transplant while back have receipts. Only selling for upgrade. I'd say its tidier and better condition than the two u posted. Pm for more info

Edited by QUBE

If you want a drive down south http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-580220168.htm

Pictures could be better though and details.. price is good.. but prob allow 2k on top for fixing things and servicing.

I've been keeping an eye on this car, could be something of a bargain. Also happy to check it over if your interested in it

I've been keeping an eye on this car, could be something of a bargain. Also happy to check it over if your interested in it

Checking it over for me would be outstanding. I'm interested in it too.

Il try sort out a time and day with the owner and let you know how I get on.

I was tempted to buy it due to the low price, its been listed a few times, I think it needed a new coolant temp sensor and some other sensor, but they also mentioned they would fix it incl in the price.

However I have already had one in that same Colour and Year in the last 2 years, also my partner might kill me if I buy another car.

This was the one I had, paid 4k with 97,000k, it was too cheap and seemed to good to be true.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well.. it was, I had to fix about 7 things wrong with it, but I still managed to sell it for enough to cover the cost of buying it + fixing it.

Edited by Charles32

Did you buy that red e30 vert in the end?

Did you buy that red e30 vert in the end?

Naa, I stopped bidding at $2510, as it was hard to tell what condition it was in from the crap cellphone pics etc, also the other bidders autobid wasn't matched either, it looked shabby in bad pics, so in real life who knows.

I realise this is a VERY long way away...

Manual 528i

BUT, it's manual and pretty cheap - I'm sure it's not a stunning car, but it's prety low priced, and the manual box means no expensive auto faults and way better performance. I'd be tempted to call the guy and ask for an honest description, and see if he sounds genuine about it. Then maybe fly up and drive home B)

I realise this is a VERY long way away...

Manual 528i

BUT, it's manual and pretty cheap - I'm sure it's not a stunning car, but it's prety low priced, and the manual box means no expensive auto faults and way better performance. I'd be tempted to call the guy and ask for an honest description, and see if he sounds genuine about it. Then maybe fly up and drive home B)

Seriously, that would be a good car, 20k of work done at BMworkshop in 5 years means that its probably good to go without needing too much mechanical work for a while.

Naa, I stopped bidding at $2510, as it was hard to tell what condition it was in from the crap cellphone pics etc, also the other bidders autobid wasn't matched either, it looked shabby in bad pics, so in real life who knows.

Ohh yes fair enough.

That manual green one could be a good buy having a 20k service record from the last 5 years

Ohh yes fair enough.

That manual green one could be a good buy having a 20k service record from the last 5 years

Kms are bit high for me and even though it may be well maintained with money spent, it would be too much of a mission for me to get it down here in Otago.....I simply don't have the time or energy for that. This is one of the downsides to being out of a market like Auckland, but I'll wait a bit longer...Thanks for the leads and insights though from everyone.

Edited by vanossa