Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

2003 E46 M3 - Build journey

NZ New manual in the BMW Individual colour "Estoril Blue".

Going to have this car for a long time so I've got lots of plans for it..

Objectives:

Hamann front lip

CSL carbon rear diffuser

CSL boot lid

Supersprint Exhaust

Superspring Headers

KW V2 Coilovers

Apex Arc-8 wheels

Invisible indicator bulbs Bought

Evolve airbox and tune (when I hit Big Wednesday)

Obviously want but won't be for a while...

In the coming weeks I'll be getting:

330D "BMW Performance" shift lever ---- ORDERED

Storm Motorwerks V1 shift knob ---- ORDERED

Leather Handbrake and Shift boot (so I don't butcher original) ----ORDERED.

I'm sure more to come ...

Posted Image

Edited by Tristan

Very nice ... glad to finally see you find the one!

Personally I would avoid the powerflex bushings ...

Definitely big Wednesday if you are going for an Evolve airbox!!

Why not just get the interior leather dyed?

The fun begins!!

Yep, dye it. If you're going to black it'll be no problem and a fraction of the cost of reupholstering. What colour is the two tone wheel?

PS Congratulations BTW!!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Very nice ... glad to finally see you find the one!

Personally I would avoid the powerflex bushings ...

Definitely big Wednesday if you are going for an Evolve airbox!!

The fun begins!!

Thanks Tom!

What's your reason for avoiding the Powerflex bushings (genuinely curious, not a smartass reply!)

And yeh... Evolve.. Haha that's on the "Dreaming" list.

Interior leather dye eh... Will have a Google - What're your suggestions on it?

Yep, dye it. If you're going to black it'll be no problem and a fraction of the cost of reupholstering. What colour is the two tone wheel?

PS Congratulations BTW!!!

Yeah, I've been quoted $2,200 for reupholstering. Genuine Italian leather, any colour combos + 3 year warranty though. Probably a similar cost to second hand seats as well (?)

The two tone wheel is black and dove-grey. Will post more pics tomorrow.

I plan to do a leather restore. I think you mentioned a product you recommend for this in another post somewhere but couldn't find it.

Beautiful example in my fave e46 m3 colour! To do list seems spot on too!

I plan to do a leather restore. I think you mentioned a product you recommend for this in another post somewhere but couldn't find it.

I just resurrected that thread, as it happens... http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry486023

Stay in touch... If we're both doing black it might pay to do it all at the same time and split the cost of the materials. Also a lot easier taking seats in and out with two people!

Edited by jeffbebe

I just resurrected that thread, as it happens... http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry486023

Stay in touch... If we're both doing black it might pay to do it all at the same time and split the cost of the materials. Also a lot easier taking seats in and out with two people!

Sounds great mate! Thanks very much. Yep with what I've been reading apparently the dash is A LOT easier with 2 people :)

Cheers

Tristan

looking forward to seeing this around central!

also keen to know about the powerflex bushings (design, fitness for purpose or materials used?)

looking forward to seeing this around central!

also keen to know about the powerflex bushings (design, fitness for purpose or materials used?)

Thanks mate :)

Yeh, Tom - do you recommend another brand or just OEM?

Damn you!!!!!

Very nice car.. In my favorite bmw colour (one of them anyway)

So jealous, can't wait to see more pics and specs

Damn you!!!!!

Very nice car.. In my favorite bmw colour (one of them anyway)

So jealous, can't wait to see more pics and specs

Thanks man, I've seen barely any in this colour (wondering how many NZ New Estorils in the country)

Apparently it was an M3 only colour option but if you had some "influence" the dealer put it on non-M3/M(?) cars.

Definitely more pics and updates to come but travelling a lot this year so barely anything left over for non-vital updates!

What's your reason for avoiding the Powerflex bushings (genuinely curious, not a smartass reply!)

You lose toe change articulation under braking and acceleration with the powerflex design - i.e. you lose stability under braking.

Even the WTCC BMW motorsport solid spherical bearing allows for toe change articulation within a design range.

OEM+ limiter kit is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds - retain stock NVH and you limit the toe change to an acceptable level.

Limiting the full range of movement in the RTAB = bent RTAB carrier bracket - we've seen it many a times on the WTCC E46 car we help maintain and repair.

Thanks man, I've seen barely any in this colour (wondering how many NZ New Estorils in the country)

Apparently it was an M3 only colour option but if you had some "influence" the dealer put it on non-M3/M(?) cars.

Definitely more pics and updates to come but travelling a lot this year so barely anything left over for non-vital updates!

only ever seen estoril blue on e46 facelift sedans, and in a e36 m3 which was owned by a guy who used to be on here drphta, i think he moved to aus a few years back?

never seen it on an m3... make me so jealous argh!! how did you even find such a car? i swear it wasnt on trademe otherwise i would have seen it..

laguna seca blue is also nice on an m3...

Posted Image

Gawd I love that colour ^^

Nice buy Tristan.

I've been wanting someone here to put a Hamann lip on an E46, prioritise this K thanks

only ever seen estoril blue on e46 facelift sedans, and in a e36 m3 which was owned by a guy who used to be on here drphta, i think he moved to aus a few years back?

never seen it on an m3... make me so jealous argh!! how did you even find such a car? i swear it wasnt on trademe otherwise i would have seen it..

laguna seca blue is also nice on an m3...

Posted Image

Seen drphta's car - always thought it looked good, never made the connection in colour.

It's been on TradeMe for the 1.5-2 months mate :)

I haven't really missed any of the ones going up; gotta love the daily updates haha

Laguna seca is dope. Years ago when I was much younger I drooled over one in the Team McMillan Used Cars showroom. I still see it around Auckland every now and then.

Gawd I love that colour ^^

Nice buy Tristan.

I've been wanting someone here to put a Hamann lip on an E46, prioritise this K thanks

Thanks Lucan :)

Yeah, I love the Hamann lip ...

Posted Image

:wub: :wub:

nice car indeed!! I have recently pick up Mat's m3 as well. let me know if you are going to buy CSL trunk, maybe we can do a group buy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nice car indeed!! I have recently pick up Mat's m3 as well. let me know if you are going to buy CSL trunk, maybe we can do a group buy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matt's M3? The steel grey one? Ahh beauty! I was super keen on it but my 5 hadn't sold yet :)

It's a gorgeous example, already had the Apex wheels and an AutoSolutions SSK in it IIRC. Will definitely let you know regarding the boot lid (sharing the shipping expense should probably save some $)

EDIT:

Something always comes up - Can't pick up the car 'til Tuesday. <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

Edited by Tristan

Damn that is a nice m3. Probably one of the best I've seen, as stated the colour is awesome.

Looking forward to how you get on with the mods.

Need more pics though!

Posted Image

Please don't dickspec it like this :(

Posted Image

Do that instead (or something like it)

You have one hell of a nice car there man ... nice work

You lose toe change articulation under braking and acceleration with the powerflex design - i.e. you lose stability under braking.

Even the WTCC BMW motorsport solid spherical bearing allows for toe change articulation within a design range.

OEM+ limiter kit is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds - retain stock NVH and you limit the toe change to an acceptable level.

Limiting the full range of movement in the RTAB = bent RTAB carrier bracket - we've seen it many a times on the WTCC E46 car we help maintain and repair.

Thanks Tom! I'll definitely take that on board!

Damn that is a nice m3. Probably one of the best I've seen, as stated the colour is awesome.

Looking forward to how you get on with the mods.

Need more pics though!

Thanks for the kind words. My only gripe (and its pretty minor) is the interior isn't black but I'll be taking care of that at some point. In the meantime the seats will get a refurbishment when I can afford it and have the time.

More pics to come Monday, sadly :(

Planning to do shoot before I give it a good grooming and afterwards too as I want comparison photos after it's clay-barred and waxed. Going to go out at buy some Meguiar's Tech 2.0 today at Julian's recommendation.

Please don't dickspec it like this :(

Do that instead (or something like it)

You have one hell of a nice car there man ... nice work

Don't worry mate, girlfriend wouldn't go near it if it were that low :lol:

Planning for subtle mods like in the lower photo.

And thanks very much. Whenever something came up for sale that I liked I still hadn't sold my 5; and then the car I liked would sell. Always told myself the right car would come along and by chance Arma bought my car and this still hadn't sold!

Edited by Tristan

Matt's M3? The steel grey one? Ahh beauty! I was super keen on it but my 5 hadn't sold yet :)

It's a gorgeous example, already had the Apex wheels and an AutoSolutions SSK in it IIRC. Will definitely let you know regarding the boot lid (sharing the shipping expense should probably save some $)

EDIT:

Something always comes up - Can't pick up the car 'til Monday. <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

true, I have got KW v2 in place now. maybe we should come out and take some pics once you picked up your new toy :ph34r:

true, I have got KW v2 in place now. maybe we should come out and take some pics once you picked up your new toy :ph34r:

KW V2; did you source them locally or buy from US? Install yourself or get a shop to?

I'm pretty set on them. How have you found the short shifter in the car?

Definitely keen for some pics! B)

Edited by Tristan

KW V2; did you source them locally or buy from US? Install yourself or get a shop to?

I'm pretty set on them. How have you found the short shifter in the car?

Definitely keen for some pics! B)

Sourced from vividracing.com,cost me an arm tho. I have found a DIY post on m3forum after I send it to the workshop this morning...

you ll love the ssk, its way better then the factory one imo.