Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

Ahh, my advice heeded :) A much better look. Now a Mk4 to finish it...

It's come a long way from Hokitika days! Looks great - a cosy place to be. Great work.

• Like 1

Looks great. :)

Random question: Is an mk4 upgrade pretty straightforward? Assuming will need new hardware.. or is it simply a software update? Think mine's still running mk2 system.

Its a replacement nav disk drive unit in the boot. There are a few changes from what ive seen, that need to be done.

http://e39source.com/archives/797

Ah right, thanks.

Don't think I have mk-anything. Just got the 6CD changer. Haven't got any CD unit that looks like any of the pics in that link.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. :P

This has got to be the most pointless option you can order for an e39. A boot fully trimmed in Alcantara. Gave it a good brush and vacum anyways.

boot.jpg

Strongly disagree!! haha!!! Although I do kind of agree the whole Alcantara thing is getting a little out of hand - you can now order Porsches with Alcantara on just about any surface you desire !

Edited by M3_Power

Snap! Looks as up to date as you can get with an E39, nice job Martin

post-17273-0-19351600-1421280592_thumb.j

• Like 2

Strongly disagree!! haha!!! Although I do kind of agree the whole Alcantara thing is getting a little out of hand - you can now order Porsches with Alcantara on just about any surface you desire !

I've also got the full alcantara head lining and rear shelf. IMO much more suited to your CSL Tom.

If only I owned an E39 M5 ... I'd be waving cash in your face LOL!!

Martin I have rolls and rolls of Alcantara sitting in study and a full spare headliner and pillars for the E46 M3 ... I just haven't had time to actually do a retrim yet : P

Any spare, Tom? I reckon the 8 would like a new alcantara haircut!

Happy with the mk2 if i can get the unit to do 16:9 bypassing the video module. But yeah modernizes the interior.

No Martin, it needs to be Mk3 or 4 to run 16:9

Looks great. :)

Random question: Is an mk4 upgrade pretty straightforward? Assuming will need new hardware.. or is it simply a software update? Think mine's still running mk2 system.

Yours is/was a Jap unit version II - a completely different unit

Edit, yours would have been in a cabinet mounted under the parcel shelf. Quite probably has been removed.

Edited by hotwire
  • Like 1

Yours is/was a Jap unit version II - a completely different unit

Edit, yours would have been in a cabinet mounted under the parcel shelf. Quite probably has been removed.

Don't think mine even has a nav system. Just the 16:9 screen, tv (analog, so doesnt work), 6 CD changer and OBC stuff in the menus.

If only I owned an E39 M5 ... I'd be waving cash in your face LOL!!

Martin I have rolls and rolls of Alcantara sitting in study and a full spare headliner and pillars for the E46 M3 ... I just haven't had time to actually do a retrim yet : P

You know, the rear shelf alcantara trim is a little sun faded... ;-) ;-)

^^^ Ok, that is the video module running the monitor.

Don't think mine even has a nav system. Just the 16:9 screen, tv (analog, so doesnt work), 6 CD changer and OBC stuff in the menus.

Being Jap I bet it would have had. The units are often removed completely if not converted to run here. Where positioned in the Jap car leaves access to the boot more restricted. Can be removed & unplugged without leaving signs of having been there.

^^^ Ok, that is the video module running the monitor.

Its the nav unit running the monitor.. Quick dirty hack until i can secure a mk4.

Edited by BreakMyWindow

sweet..glad to see you got it working. If you dont already also look at getting the BM54 radio module.

Fair bit of Maintenance work to be carried out shortly, just need to wait for it to be delivered and hopefully dodge customs..

- New OEM clutch and Flywheel

- Driveshaft Donut (Guibo)

- Driveshaft centre bearing

- All new fastners, gaskets and mountings for Exhaust (rusted to Fcuk)

- New OEM shifter rod (replace ebay nasty short shifter)

- New Z4 M illuminated shift knob

- Full shifter assmebly rebuild with new bushings and clips.

Got this delivered the other day - New under tray which mounts behind the engine under tray.

post-1689-0-04670900-1426622590_thumb.jp

• Like 5

I was going to like this, but I got "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" :/

• Like 1

That's a lot of swag! Expensive too.

I just got pinged for a $410 package and that was processed by the carrier (Fed-Ex) so it seems some of it is automated nowadays?

Fedex love to do that. And make you pay on delivery at your door. Had that once. Grr

Amazing m5, I've always thought the e39 was a nicer looking car that the e60 for some reason. Is that rear center console air vent box factory? Looks awesome.

• Like 2