Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

e34 540i

So my first look on wheedle and found a 540i going cheap.

Can anyone decode this vin please.

WBAHE620X0GF20735

What colour blue is this? estoril?

....seem to have lost pic option....no, there it is.

Posted Image

Edited by etwenty1

Type

Value

VIN WBAHE620X0GF20735

Type code HE62

Type 540I (EUR)

E series E34 ()

Series 5

Type LIM

Steering RL

Doors 4

Engine M60/2

Displacement 4.00

Power 210

Drive HECK

Transmission AUT

Colour MALEDIVENBLAU METALLIC (290)

Upholstery (0203)

Prod.date 1993-07-13

Options

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S199A AUSSTATTUNG BLEIHALTIGER KRAFTSTOFF without catalytic converter

S240A LEDERLENKRAD Steering wheel, leather

S438A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim

S498A KOPFSTUETZEN IM FOND Headrests mechanically adjustable, rear

S530A KLIMAANLAGE Air conditioning

S548A KILOMETERTACHO Kilometre speedo

S687A RADIOVORBEREITUNG Radio preparation

S806A Neuseeland Ausfuehrung Third stoplamp

S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch

S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling

S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack

Can anyone tell me how you can decode VIN's?

Can anyone tell me how you can decode VIN's?

post the vin and ask nicely.....

I had a MALEDIVENBLAU 1993 540i a few years ago.. a rarer colour, can't be many around!

I wonder if it's the same one, though the vin numbers don't seem to be the same.

My old plate was EWN784, I imagine you have a different one?

it doesnt work for me

Are you good at math? ;)

^ it took me about 10 efforts at trying the math problems then realizing i had to scroll down to see the build sheet...

(i blame my 11" macbook air)

I had a MALEDIVENBLAU 1993 540i a few years ago.. a rarer colour, can't be many around!

I wonder if it's the same one, though the vin numbers don't seem to be the same.

My old plate was EWN784, I imagine you have a different one?

Different car.

I bought this a a non-runner, PO stated his mechanic has diagnosed the non-start issue as "bad cam chain tensioners"

I thought i'd start with fuel pump/ filters. New Fuel filter and fired right up.

time for a quiet woohoo. Will be test driving tonight on the near new budget chinese tyres.....

Edited by etwenty1

Fitted new fuel pump (thanks Brent) and its up and running. Went for a short drive to get gas and see how it ran.

Noted the following issues;

1. Vibration under brakes although this reduced after several hard brakes.

2. Chain noisy at idle - time for new tensioner?

3. A whiny kind of hissing noise that goes away above 1k rpm

4. Hard line from aux water pump snapped off just as i opened the bonnet back at home. nice timing

5. windows go up 2 inches at a time meaning i have to keep pushing the switch

6. Heater fan resistor is shot so no fan on 1,2,3

7. Exhaust is very quiet - can hardly hear the V8......

This weekend i will be changing the oil and dropping the pan to check oil pump bolts, will check plugs etc,

Any idea on #3 above?

Fitted new fuel pump (thanks Brent) and its up and running. Went for a short drive to get gas and see how it ran.

Noted the following issues;

1. Vibration under brakes although this reduced after several hard brakes.

2. Chain noisy at idle - time for new tensioner?

3. A whiny kind of hissing noise that goes away above 1k rpm

4. Hard line from aux water pump snapped off just as i opened the bonnet back at home. nice timing

5. windows go up 2 inches at a time meaning i have to keep pushing the switch

6. Heater fan resistor is shot so no fan on 1,2,3

7. Exhaust is very quiet - can hardly hear the V8......

This weekend i will be changing the oil and dropping the pan to check oil pump bolts, will check plugs etc,

Any idea on #3 above?

1. worn thrust arm bushes

2 , how many k's the plastic guides do wear out some times

3 , maybe pcv valve , lift oil dipstick or lift oil cap does the noise go away

4 , by pass the aux pump

5 lube tracks , reg , motor etc

6 fit another one

7 , just try changing the rear muffler for one of these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-606052028.htm

7 , just try changing the rear muffler for one of these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-606052028.htm

Had one of those on my FjordGrau 540i for a while. Sounded shite lol.

cut out mufflers up the front where cats would be and weld cobys in their place. gives it a nice subtle v8 burble at idle and a growl up top.

I got sick of trying to find a fan shroud, and just converted the car to electric.

as without the fan shroud the mechanical fan won't work 100%. and it's about the same price as a hub unit as to convert to electric.

-1 on the Power Pro muffler. I just sold mine off my 535i(came with it) and while at idle and certain rpm if wasnt too bad, most the time it would resonate a lot and it was like 85db with otherwise stock system.

740i has a nice a nice rumble to it and all it looks like is someone has replaced middle section mufflers with Cobys etc, similar to what -Alias- suggested.

Edited by Eagle

my 544i

straight pipes at the front

mostly twin 2.5" through

750i centre muffler .

cheap rear power pro or something

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

A good week for the 540 which is now legal, harvested some bits at pickapart, replaced interior handles, wiper head, heater resistor, dismantled nose and grilles to replace headlight units. (electric adjusters were broken and bodgied up with cardboard)) Now have manually adjusted set from that white M5. Painted all front grilles black. Wheel alignment, degreased steering box and pump to find no leaks. Checked auto trans level and its fine. Car is holding onto shifts when cold so planning to get the dealer to "reset the adaptations" and see if that helps smooth it out. Waiting on a box of Pelican parts so i can do the RCG's, change trans filter, plugs and replace hood shocks.

Left to do is fuel flap spring, replace intake boot, lose some muffle from the exhaust, replace glovebox hinges, test fit new rims, shadow remaining trim, find a set of sport seats and a tech 2 wheel with an airbag....? I like this car more than the E39 or E30. Must be the extra 2 cylinders.......

Edited by etwenty1

still waiting for Pelican parts to arrive...ordered 30 June now 15 July....bit slower than usual. Must be going through the customs +$400 filter.

Decided to look under some tape on the inlet boot and found a gaping hole. Made a temp splice using some plastic ducting from a clothes dryer extract <_< and some adhesive sealant. Engine now running much smoother and have lost the jerk it had when shifting at low throttle.

Edited by etwenty1

So my first look on wheedle and found a 540i going cheap.

Posted Image

Started off looking to change the rocker cover gaskets and timing chain tensioner, that quickly led led to wrinkle painting covers, then i found the PCV plate was leaking......

Plate and valve look pretty new but the gasket was crystalized. Sourced the profile gasket from dealer and cover plugs from Euro italian.

If anyone does this job without replacing the plate/valve remember to buy the o-rings rings required and some vice grips to get rid of those torx screws. now updated to hex heads.

Now i'm thinking about whether to keep digging and do the intake gaskets and the valley pan.

Edited by etwenty1

While waiting for PCV orings i dropped the oil pan and found a chunk of alloy in the oil pickup, probably blocking about 50%, and a piece of plastic which i figure is from the chain guides. The alloy looks like a flat tab of casting, not a bearing .....

post-2170-0-98160200-1379905724_thumb.jp

Thats an m6 oil pan bolt for reference.

My oil pump bolts were all good but there was a lot of slack on one side of the pump chain.

post-2170-0-84766600-1379906067_thumb.jp

I googled the sh*t out of this in the absence of a manual and all the american M60 stuff shows a sprocket cover and allen key adjuster. Mine has no cover and the adjustment is by winding down a hex bolt. Chain slack in now 10mm both sides. Did the o rings on the feed pipe and put one where there was none on the govenor pipe.

All back together, bolts locktited, fresh oil, filter. Chain rattle on start up is gone, no oil leaks and running smooth.

Edited by etwenty1

pics of oil pan contents added. I was pleasantly surprised after seeing pics on other forums showing 5 or 6 bolts have fallen out.

That coking looks bad........

Edited by etwenty1