Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Kicking myself slightly

Hi all,

I bought an E36 yesterday. I feel in love with the car when I drove it and it was a bit of an impulse buy.

So its a 1993 318i with the M40 engine and not the M43. Now this didn't bother me to be honest because a quick glance at the internet showed me they were very very similar. Except for one MAJOR difference. The M40 has a timing belt and I have just found this out.

The car is at 98000kms and according to service manuals and the internet this needs to be changed every 26000 miles. So that means that the car has done twice the distance and I am a little apprehensive to drive it now in case it snaps.

I am wanting to get a rough labor time in order to budget this repair? Any ideas?

No doubt its due but 26,000 is pretty ridiculous - 80,000-100,000km is the average and most belts ive seen can easily go past those figures. Do you know it hasn't been done?

No idea on the labor costs sorry

No doubt its due but 26,000 is pretty ridiculous - 80,000-100,000km is the average and most belts ive seen can easily go past those figures. Do you know it hasn't been done?

As far as the service manuals that I have are concerned I cant see that it has been done. There are several stickers under the bonnet though so will look into it. Fairly certain that they don't say it has been done.

Looks like I am in for $500 - $600

As far as the service manuals that I have are concerned I cant see that it has been done. There are several stickers under the bonnet though so will look into it. Fairly certain that they don't say it has been done.

Looks like I am in for $500 - $600

BMW belts need replacing at 60k for the M20 and 40k for the M40 or 5 years, whichever occurs first

BMW belts need replacing at 60k for the M20 and 40k for the M40 or 5 years, whichever occurs first

Well it has done 98000 and I am scared to drive it because I don't want the belt to snap <_<

The guy at Eurocare here in Christchurch who only does BMW said every 80,000kms for the timing belt. I didn't ask about accessory belts though.

I guess its a case of do it one and do it right. But if it costs 500 - 600 every 40000kms I may as well change the engine to an m44.

Why is the lifespan on BMW timing belts shorter that for JDM?

Why is the lifespan on BMW timing belts shorter that for JDM?

I'd love to know that too.

Factors I can think of would be:

-Temperature of timing belt area

-Torque on camshaft from belt

-RPM

-Stress on belt from tensioner

How different can such factors be from another car, and this is a SOHC with more freely running camshaft I would expect.

My first car was an E30 316i and I remember getting it done at 150km. About $400 incl water pump at a BMW agent.... A long time ago!

Not sure how they determine the life span

My Ducati was every 20k and they don't have valve springs to load up the camshafts

I think they started at 100K, then revised it when they had breakages - same on my Holden Astra - it broke the cambelt under warranty at 62,000, Holden revised the changes to 60K after that :blink:

Probably just BMW being conservative\covering their ass, Germans are more pedantic than Japs after all.

Most sources ive seen for the M20 state 60,000 miles or 4\5 years, i personally think 80,000 is a good medium baring age or if its being used in extreme conditions.

The M40 is a lump of sh*t to start with so probably better to drive it till it fails, celebrate, and then put in a M44 like you said.

Probably just BMW being conservative\covering their ass, Germans are more pedantic than Japs after all.

Most sources ive seen for the M20 state 60,000 miles or 4\5 years, i personally think 80,000 is a good medium baring age or if its being used in extreme conditions.

The M40 is a lump of sh*t to start with so probably better to drive it till it fails, celebrate, and then put in a M44 like you said.

Yeah everyone seems to say that. After a couple of days driving it though I have to say it sounds great, drives smooth and really is a pleasure to drive.

Is it unreliable or just under powered? What makes it a bad engine?

Edit: What sort of labor cost would I be looking at to drop in an M44?

Edited by MilesP

Alfa's also have a short change interval. And you are in trouble if you ignore it.

I wouldn't say they are more pedantic, probably just they engineer their cars a bit different. There is a different culture towards maintenance in Germany (ie. they do it) compared to Japan/NZ (we don't).

Perfect example is who has replaced oxygen sensors per the OEM (Bosch) recommendation?

nothing wrong with an M40 engine, underpowered yes, especially compared to a japanese 1.8L from the same age, but you dont buy a 318i for that reason

and i learnt to do an M20 timing belt when i was 15 years old, with pretty much no mechanical experience. I couldnt afford to maintain my car at a garage so an internet connection solved that. M40 is even easier I have done a few of my M40s now. easiest part is that there is so much room in the engine bay.

I dont remember requiring any special tools except to get fan clutch off, and radiator removal is recommended in some write ups but definately not essential, just remove the shroud off it. Really a piece of cake on the M40.

Germans are more pedantic than Japs after all.

Debatable. If anything, they are on par.

Hey guys I found this picture in the engine bay >>>

Posted Image

Is this cam belt evidence?

15 years ago

Am I in danger of the belt snapping in the next 100km? The car is at 98000kms and need to drive it to work until friday when it is booked in to have belt change.

It was due 17000km ago, it could snap tomorrow or in two years time. Entirely up to you if you want to drive it.

Am I in danger of the belt snapping in the next 100km? The car is at 98000kms and need to drive it to work until friday when it is booked in to have belt change.

bus fares for the week $50

new engine installed $2000

in saying that, i would probably drive it anyways.

^Pretty much but i would drive it anyway as well

I would be driving it, gently, not sure why though.

It was due 17000km ago, it could snap tomorrow or in two years time. Entirely up to you if you want to drive it.

It was probably also due 10 years ago.

I can't remember what the time interval on those are, but for M20's it's like xxxkm/6years whatever comes first.

I would be driving it, gently, not sure why though.

What else can an M40 do?

Edited by antil33t