Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

To paint or powder coat wheels

Both mine and Tylers (pldubs) wheels are ready to paint but am getting mixed opinions on how to do them, some say paint is better where others say powder coat them. What's the general consensus on this? Wheels in question are style 32s and Rs centers.

Chur

My 2c = Paint.

Powder coating often has a thick/cartoon-esque look to thngs, esp. on the like of the RS centres whcyh have a bit of detail.

I would think the style 32's would look good powder coated but the RS's might be too intricate and look a bit flat depending on colours and shine of the lip.

Dont know much about powdercoating but I'd say paint. Atleast you have a better chance of touching up little chips ect that may occur. And you can choose any color you want?

My opinion:

On the Style 32's right up til the lip/tyre edge will need to be done, so I'd go with powdercoating as it's a more durable finish, that lip edge is likely to be hit with small stones etc and paint will chip more easily.

Paint the RS's.

Hmmm might be painting mine then. Anyone with powdercoated wheels have something to say?

Get yourself an old range and use it as a diy paint oven for wheels :D

Naaah I'l just use the one I've got. The missus wont mind surely :P

Hi there. Different application, but Ive always had my alloy wheels powder-coated, & they've been primo afterwards on withstanding bumps / knocks / tyre fitments, & always clean up well too.....

Cheers

Naaah I'l just use the one I've got. The missus wont mind surely :P

I dunno, you might loose your m3 privileges.

+1

Powdercoat is a bit thicker so can cover those minor imperfections better than paint. I did my wheels in PC an am happy with the end result.

Can you get a 'metallic' silver finish powder coating though? (Like factory silver?)

My 32s are powder coated. Agree it hides imperfections and has held up sweet. But the finish isn't glossy like factory silver.

Yup any colour can be done in powdercoat inc metalics I believe. I chose black which had the benifit of being common and could be batched in with other jobs saving a few $$. Specific colours may incur a setup fee as the gun needs cleaning for the new colour etc.

the wheels on my work van we got powder coated, seem more durable than paint. if painting just make sure to put a few coats of clear. i think thats why my ones on my E34 will need to be done again at some stage.

Cheers guys, think I'l powdercoat mine in that case. Just going for the factory colour.

Powder coating is way cheaper than spray painting, mainly due to the number of processes involved and the corresponding labour charge.

And the powdercoat finish is much more durable.

However in my experience you have a limited colour choice, so may not be able to get the specific colour you want.

Yea should be able to find something close enough to the colour they were, and yea the more durable the better really

Yea should be able to find something close enough to the colour they were, and yea the more durable the better really

Pics before & after the event will be great.............. ;)

Already stripped and ready for paint, but will take afew forshore.

I have had3 sets of wheels powdercoated and it works a treat, but preperation is the key! I had mine dip stripped first and dealt to any curbing, then coated.

If you can get the colour you want i recommend it. The finish is tougher and you can clear powder coat over top in matt or gloss.

They clean up easily too!!

Hope that helps.

P.s. i have also painted rims and wouldnt bother again!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=963fb4723f

powder coating results. colours can be limited depending on the coater and what other stuff he does in mass use,

guys that do lots of little stuff are likely to have lots of colour choices. my local coater i use has a good selection

Edited by GASTKR

Oyea, they look good, still havn't had a chance to get them done yet, got a half day on tues so hoping I've got time to sort them.