Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

HOT DAMN

2000? Build date 04/98. still a bloody nice example..

if only it was a v12...

or a CSI..

if only it was a v12...

or a CSI..

I'd still have it in a heartbeat... :blink:

there was a blue 840ci with CSI bodykit on there recently.

you would have to suffer through the matching blue interior tho.

blacks where it's at.

blacks where it's at.

Cosmos black to be precise. This would make a lovely addition to my garage, then I just need to borrow your M5 and find a nice black E38 740 to complete the late 90s-early 00s V8 set!!

if only it was a v12...

or a CSI..

How does this work, did they land the car and never register it until sold? I wonder how long you could keep a car before registering.

Spotted something similar the other day, had to correct a guy who told me he had brought a 2007 model car but one look at it told me it was a 05 as the manufacturer had face-lifted the model early 06. Bit wrong selling a two year old car as brand new.

How does this work, did they land the car and never register it until sold? I wonder how long you could keep a car before registering.

The boat from Germany does take a while to get here ;)

I understand the logistics and sales side of things, the E31 was a slow seller when it come out, never mind at the end of its life.

I was more wondering what the legality's were around registering a car years after after it was actually built.

there was a blue 840ci with CSI bodykit on there recently.

you would have to suffer through the matching blue interior tho.

blacks where it's at.

Is this the one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-632643385.htm

But seriously, there are more E31's on Trademe at the moment than E24's.

Edited by The Juggernaut

But seriously, there are more E31's on Trademe at the moment than E24's.

Because they're all at the stage in their lives when they start to go expensively wrong.

Because they're all at the stage in their lives when they start to go expensively wrong.

All them broken V12s and DMEs.

I understand the logistics and sales side of things, the E31 was a slow seller when it come out, never mind at the end of its life.

I was more wondering what the legality's were around registering a car years after after it was actually built.

This would have been BMW NZ's old stock problem

The law states that for NZ new vehicles, the vehicle year is the year of first registration. Australia have recently introduced rules where manufacturers can no longer sell cars as new when they reach a certain age, regardless of whether or not they have been registered.

I remember some years back in NZ they sold a bunch of "new" Rover 200's (or similar). The cars had actually rolled off the production line about 5 years before hand and had been sitting in an asian warehouse.

A good buy? :huh:

This would have been BMW NZ's old stock problem

The law states that for NZ new vehicles, the vehicle year is the year of first registration. Australia have recently introduced rules where manufacturers can no longer sell cars as new when they reach a certain age, regardless of whether or not they have been registered.

My car is like this - born 1/9/95 - first registered 3/97. And it sat around for so long in the wharehouse or whatever, that BMW NZ blew the dust off it & 'brought it' themselves, as new model E39 was already released / being sold......

That could be the best example of an E31 I've ever seen. Just looks so damn good!

I know.

If it was only black on black I don't think I would be able to stop myself.

As it was I did show that one to the wife. Her answer was "really? blue?"

(she has a black car also)

Edited by M5V8

I know.

If it was only black on black I don't think I would be able to stop myself.

As it was I did show that one to the wife. Her answer was "really? blue?"

(she has a black car also)

The rear diffuser is very cool on that one. Buy this one and the black one and make one absolutely perfect 840!

Yup, provided the car has not been registered in NZ or overseas the car is still a "new vehicle" by definition.

The Australian rule is an interesting one, especially when in another thread people were arguing that UK-Imports which had been registered in the Uk and had done "delivery miles" should still be classed as a "new" car.

Those Rovers that had sat in a warehouse for 5 years would probably still have been a better buy than the Chinese built Utes that are currently in an Auckland panel shop for rust repairs - and they only rolled off the boat a couple of weeks ago and haven't made it onto the road yet :ph34r: !!

Hi there,

I have never seen this black E31 in the flesh. However, a friend of mine who owns the Tobago Blue E31 (that was for sale recently - as discussed here) took a photo of this car about 5 years ago when he saw it at the beach.

I believe it is the last of only 3 4.4 840ci's that were delivered new to NZ.

The interesting this about this car is that I believe that from around 97' most of the 840ci's were delivered with the M aero body kit first seen on the 850csi (with m tech two-prong mirrors). This vehicle doesn't have that, nor does it have sport seats.

As for the registration being much later - as alluded to on a previous comment, these 8's hung around dealerships for a little while before they were sold. Case in point this vehicle, mine (registered new in 98' yet manufactured in March 96'). Gerry Hodges's old vehicle - manufactured in 1995 and registered new in 99.'

Same thing applied to the M635si's in NZ - a lot of them didn't move from dealerships once the 87' stock market crash hit. Consequently, some 87's were registered as 88's, 89'etc. In actual fact, one 87 example in Cirrus blue (which represented BMW at the Ellerslie concours show) wasn't registered till 1990.

Coming back to this black one for sale - sounds like a great car at a more than reasonably good price.

If they have been looked after, and had the necessary maintenance work the 4.0 and 4.4 E31's are actually not that costly to run. However, you do have to do your due diligence and buy a good one. This one sounds like it has good provenance. Hope it goes to a good home.