Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Recommend an alarm for Impreza

Hi everyone

Getting sick of my girlfriend's car being broken into. Last night attempted theft. Car moved about 15 metres (assume rolled) down the hill and ignition area torn to sh*t.

4th time in a 2 years.. (Subaru's I guess!)

Luckily they didn't send it rolling down the hill into the houses at the bottom so we still have it but I'm wanting to get an alarm installed.

I know nothing in this area. Assume that 5 Star is good and Mongoose seems to be a popular brand.

Any recommendations?

It's a 2006 Impreza

Had an AVS alarm in my Legacy. Seemed ok, had an inbuilt Turbo Timer, and i know that they have options that include GPS tracking. Remotes can be programmed to your garage door too.

• Like 1

Cool - good to hear a +1 on AVS. That's another one that's on my radar, so to speak.

They are all annoying to operate.

I just had a full on Mongoose system installed in my Hiace after it was broken into the first day I had it, cost me $1000 installed and is really annoying as it impobilissesss itself after 30 seconds and locks the doors automatically after a time, it does a few random things that are annoying TBH.

Would not recommend.

They are all annoying to operate.

I just had a full on Mongoose system installed in my Hiace after it was broken into the first day I had it, cost me $1000 installed and is really annoying as it impobilissesss itself after 30 seconds and locks the doors automatically after a time, it does a few random things that are annoying TBH.

Would not recommend.

Sounds like the uniden in my wifes old car. Bloody horrible thing that would always trip up WOF inspectors, no matter how many detailed instructions they were given.

You want a tesla coil "deterrent":

No-one will go near it :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

I have a Mongoose in my VW van, and it's OK. The alarm is a bit quiet, but it seems to work well. It's set up to immobilse all sorts of things ont he van - ECU power, fuel pump etc.

There are some alarms that will allow a car to be started, but cut the fuel 20 or 30 seconds after the car is started, if not propoerly disarmed - they're great, because a stolen car, stopped halfway through an intersection with the alarm blaring attracts a lot of attention :lol:

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1

You want a tesla coil "deterrent":

No-one will go near it :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

If you supply it, I'll buy it! :P

Get rid of the Subaru. Magnet for muppets.

A well known Autosparky friend of mine warns everyone away from AVS alarms. Their 5 star alarms are not even close to what 5 star quality and features should be.

If you do get one make sure you change the factory over ride. As this is on youtube and very few people ever change it.

Also the org who were giving alarms their ratings have been under fire for the last few years. Apparently it is one person who does very little testing.

My AVS alarm caused me nothing but headaches. Immoberliser had a mind of its own but was still able to be bi-passed by jump starting the car. Bloody joke.

Edited by driftit

AVS are a 'sponsor' on www.ClubSUB.org.nz and seem to be well 'repp'ed

first time I have heard issues with them : who installed it?

AVS are a 'sponsor' on www.ClubSUB.org.nz and seem to be well 'repp'ed

first time I have heard issues with them : who installed it?

Good question, It is the install that makes all the difference, problem is the cow boy shops fueled by tight are people looking for the best deal not the best install. Most of the cost on my alarm system was the install, took them 8 or so hours.

Agree about selling the Subaru though, great idea, it seems the scum that go after cars mainly go after Jap/sh*t cars, my Hiace has been hacked twice in less than three months, all locks broken, window broken, its like a magnet to scum bags.

Who knows. Came with the car. Was a prick to get out. Was so easy to bi-pass. Endless times when it stranded me where ever I parked.

Trying to find that video of the AVS alarms being disabled in seconds. But it looks like it has been taken down which is good.

Cyclops alarms have a very good name for themselves. They are the brand my friend puts in in place of the AVS units.

OP DONT put the stickers of what brand the alarm is on the window. install the flashing LED in the dash and leave it at that. Fairly easy to hack alarms anyway, you are only making it easier telling them what brand it is.

If you had asked me 2 months ago, i would have said that I wont buy anything that isn't Uniden. But now looking at an AVS system for my convertible, because the microwave sensors for the Uniden are a very expencive option.

Keep away from Australian made ones like Mongoose etc. I have heard all sorts of stories

Worth telling whoever is installing it you want it soldered and heatshrinked etc into the dash loom, and not just crimped in. Have heard of people falling for the "X-Brand Installed, only $399" is just crimped in etc. okay for the first 6 months untill you get vibration into the connections etc. Tell them you will pay for the extra time if needed etc. On of my mates brothers is an Autosparky, the sh*t he sees..

Good question, It is the install that makes all the difference, problem is the cow boy shops fueled by tight are people looking for the best deal not the best install. Most of the cost on my alarm system was the install, took them 8 or so hours.

Agree about selling the Subaru though, great idea, it seems the scum that go after cars mainly go after Jap/sh*t cars, my Hiace has been hacked twice in less than three months, all locks broken, window broken, its like a magnet to scum bags.

Is your Hiace sign written? Im renting a place in between houses in a dodgy area, 2 of my 3 BMWs have been atempted to be broken into, but not the Hiace yet. But every panel has company logo?

Nope, its just been painted in PPG Renault Ultra blue, fresh tints, nice wheels... Probably why, they are like magpies and like shinny things.

Have to laugh, just today I put the little red "protected by mongoose" stickers on, do you think I should remove them?

I think you'll find that to meet the requirements for a five star rating it has to re-arm itself after30 seconds if no doors are opened, no matter what brand it is, thank the insurance companies!!

I had a mongoose, installed by mongoose on the North Shore in my mitsi legnum, had remote start, 5 star etc, had no problems with it, and got the insurance discount because it was installed "professionally"

Also, when the remote started playing up i went back and they gave me a new one and coded it for me.

Nope, its just been painted in PPG Renault Ultra blue, fresh tints, nice wheels... Probably why, they are like magpies and like shinny things.

Have to laugh, just today I put the little red "protected by mongoose" stickers on, do you think I should remove them?

Id remove them for the oxymoron alone :P

I think you'll find that to meet the requirements for a five star rating it has to re-arm itself after30 seconds if no doors are opened, no matter what brand it is, thank the insurance companies!!

I had a mongoose, installed by mongoose on the North Shore in my mitsi legnum, had remote start, 5 star etc, had no problems with it, and got the insurance discount because it was installed "professionally"

Also, when the remote started playing up i went back and they gave me a new one and coded it for me.

No such thing as "5-star" etc anymore. call your insurance company or local alarm retailer/installer if you dont believe me. Something to do with the fact that it was just marketing with noone actually setting a standard to work to

My mate here mostly does Avs alarms unless the client provides it. And that's what he put in another friends sti type r coupe and seemed to be pretty good. Or just hook up a flashing led for 10 buks.

And yea as long as it's a reckonised brand of alarm insurance exfess will drop for ya if stolen. FYI the only factory alarm that's aproved by insurers is a Holden one which is BS. They told me I should put them in my cars even tho I explained to them they have coded keys so if it's not it it won't start, and the m3 has a factory alarm aswell as a code input but still wasn't good enough. Also told them it was a sh*t load better that any aftermarket alarm out there and was wasting my time and money to put one in to keep them happy.... They didn't like that too much :P

Have not found that with State, they have been happy to fill in the protected field on my last few cars with factory immobilizers.

So in short, all alarms are sh*t and Tritian should just buy his missis a E30 M3.

Another constructive thread!

I was with state, but then become too "modified" so the wagons with nac which is state and they fed me that bs. Was about a year ago tho.

But I live in Dunedin where there is no crime :D all law abiding citizens here hahaha.

Also +1 on e30 M3

Haha would rather buy E30 M3 for myself.
Thanks everyone got lot's of helpful info, albeit conflicting. Everyone's had their own experiences though. I think we're going to get her a steering wheel lock for overnighting on the street as a first deterrent and probably a Cyclops/Dynatron or AVS.

Forget the steering lock, waste of money, must have delayed the thieves on my Legacy by a good 8-9 seconds and ruined the wheel in the process.. I've had Mongoose, AVS, Alpine and Dynatron, if I had to get another, I'd go Dynatron again.

Supposedly, they work better with Japanese cars, Jared on here is an installer, he would have a good idea. I can't remamber his user name though. I have his number, PM me if you want it.

On a slightly off topic note, my gf was driving my work car and the rear quarter window got smashed into and they took the ashtray cup and the lid from the centre console out of the primera wagon! All they got was like $15 in coins... Sigh lousy scums. I actually bought insurance, third party with fire and theft as well as glass cover the day before it happened. Is it okay to claim it? There shouldn't be an excess for glass right? Paying $400 excess for a glass probably worth $200 max doesn't make sense.. Anyways maybe should look into getting an alarm but what's done is done..