Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

First E30 breakdown

Dad's E30 had it's first ever actual breakdown yesterday. I think he'd had it 15 years October just gone. It's a 1990 325i SE manual and is getting up near 230K now.

It's had minor repairs like a clutch (1), brakes, a starter, an alternator repair etc, but this was the first time it EVER refused to start and left him stuck.

I thought it was impressive - it's never left him stranded anywhere, and the first time it does.....

..... the mechanic at a workshop giving it a WOF is driving it, INSIDE the workshop :lol:. When it finally breaks down, it's in the perfect place!

Dad's stoked with it, it by far the best car he's ever had.

If he wins lotto, he's going to have it rebuilt/restored top to bottom B)

• Like 1

Wish I could say the same about my past e30's, screwed me over so many times. My current e30 touring has only failed me once when the fuel pump had died, luckily outside my house.

I've had good luck with most of my e30's.

But i did have a fuel pump fail on my old 320i which stranded me at the Bakery about 3km's from work.

Might be a good time for you to buy it off him, make him an offer, see what he says! :)

Might be a good time for you to buy it off him, make him an offer, see what he says! :)

He doesn't know what he'd replace it with!

If I bought it, and he replaced it with a Camry? I'd have to kill myself.

He doesn't know what he'd replace it with!

If I bought it, and he replaced it with a Camry? I'd have to kill myself.

No you wouldn't, i'd do it!! Thats what friends are for!!

Ours stranded us once in 70,000km (from 260-330km), fuel pump, in the garage at home. New one and away it went.

Sounds like the fuel pumps are sh*t - may need replacing every 200K or 20 years, whichever comes first :lol:

• Like 1

I've had good luck with most of my e30's.

But i did have a fuel pump fail on my old 320i which stranded me at the Bakery about 3km's from work.

must have been a good bakery at 3ks away

According to the Dog and Lemon book, that E30 should have been ruined over 10 years ago, with blown headgasket, oil leaks, ruined gearbox, etc etc etc..

If anyone wants a good laugh, pm your email addy and i'll send you the PDF :)

Its the most useless report i'I've ever seen.

Sounds like the fuel pumps are sh*t - may need replacing every 200K or 20 years, whichever comes first :lol:

Might wanna try a warranty claim on that I reckon........... ;):)

Not a bad track record though at all - well done!!

According to the Dog and Lemon book, that E30 should have been ruined over 10 years ago, with blown headgasket, oil leaks, ruined gearbox, etc etc etc..If anyone wants a good laugh, pm your email addy and i'll send you the PDF :)Its the most useless report i'I've ever seen.

I think you mean "book", its the most useless BOOK youve ever seen! :)

I think you mean "book", its the most useless BOOK youve ever seen! :)

He sells individual reports on his website, i got one years ago after i'd had an e30 for ages, was quite surprised how bad he thinks they are.

everything's sh*t in his books. literally and figuratively.

what's the diagnosis Allan?

He sells individual reports on his website, i got one years ago after i'd had an e30 for ages, was quite surprised how bad he thinks they are.

Yeah, the only things he likes are toyota camrys, and for that alone he deserves a punch in the face!

Although he was right about the 1984 honda city being the most dangerous car on the road when it was new, of course he just stole that from an Aussie test!!

Must have missed its last inspection II,

"Item 5637, check operation of fuel pump and replace if necessary."

:)

what's the diagnosis Allan?

The book is sh*t.

Oh, you mean the car... It IS the fuel pump - new one arriving today - normally I'd order one and fit it myself, but it's already IN the workshop, and they diagnosed it and everything - only charging an hours labour for the whole thing.

According to the Dog and Lemon book, that E30 should have been ruined over 10 years ago, with blown headgasket, oil leaks, ruined gearbox, etc etc etc..

If anyone wants a good laugh, pm your email addy and i'll send you the PDF :)

Its the most useless report i'I've ever seen.

Just post it as an attachment here so we all may point at laugh at it

Ha... so the car is running. Needs two new ball joints though, for WOF :rolleyes:

First time though.

Just read the e39 one, never seen it before! What a load of solid waste from a male cow!!

Realistic urban average fuel consumption for 540i, 21.7 l/100k!! Realistic my arse! I get 13.5 all day every day!

Mind you, he cant work out all the complicated buttons, so theres probably something wrong with his brain!!

No surprise he thinks the lexus is better!!

Yup - that's about as sh*t as it gets.

Did I just see him suggest the jaguar S type ???

Retard.

so far i've read about 5 of those guides and not one has said anything other than "avoid like the plauge" which says to me they are all 'cool' cars.