Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

You bet and wouldn't be surprised, least they are pretty reliable.

The ZF 'boxes are reckoned to be better than the GM-sourced ones, but so long as mine keeps working I'm not about to worry about that. A bit more research is needed, but I suspect the older cars may have ZF 'boxes.

I drove it from cold and took at least a few hundred meters to change up a gear, i was driving a 3000rpm @ 50kph for a long time which was a first for me. Sort of put me off it at that point and didnt really give it a real good drive, it handled bad compared to mine but thats to be expected.

I had a Mercedes that would do that until the fluid warmed up. No idea if it was supposed to, but it never caused any problems and changing the fluid and transmission filter made no difference.

Yeah i believe E34 and E39 540i have the ZF autos. Never experienced anything like it and im sure it wasn't normal but i didnt exactly try anything to see if it would change and only drove it once so who knows. No doubt a good service would improve it im sure.

Yo Mojo Northy - how bout this...............http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47176-e36-328-manual-coupe/ 2.8, coupe, & manual. And gotta be fairly priced already surely, without you wanting to bend him over further........... :rolleyes::)

Yea, the 540's do have the ZF - seem to work ok, & ZF in lots of other stuff gets a good name.............

Funny how the auto's are sealed for life - it is a true phrase, cos once it f#cks itself, that life is up, whether its at 80,000 or 280000kms............certainly regular service & fluid changes are a good idea IMO tho.

I think Jared makes some valid points in terms of E34 vs 39 - the yank forums seem to point the same way really IMO, in terms of the 39 being a more complicated beast that does give a bit of grief at times, irrespective of engine size..........I guess that's 1 of the things I like about my own E34, no VANOS etc to $hit itself, yet makes virually the same power as the 4.4 motor, in a slightly smaller car... ;):)

E30Andy is the 34 guru anyway - he pretends to be the 30 guy, but in reality he's probably already forgotten more bout 34's that what I'll ever know - he's a wealth of info on them, & yea, also E30's........ ;):)

Bet ya never got round to PMing Westie........ :rolleyes:

When the E34 came out the motoring press regarded it as the best BMW yet made. When the e39 came out the motoring press called it the best car in the world. Google it. I`ve owned both now.The E39 is also regarded as one of the best `bang for your buck` used cars going. Just don`t expect to buy a perfect one.

The secret is to wait about 12 years before taking the plunge. This is precisely the strategy that Mojo is using with his E36 328 search, which at present has half of this country`s BMW community( Including recent arrivalsfrom the UK) biting their nails and urging him on.

The secret is to wait about 12 years before taking the plunge. This is precisely the strategy that Mojo is using with his E36 328 search, which at present has half of this country`s BMW community( Including recent arrivalsfrom the UK) biting their nails and urging him on.

Well yes.......that's where decisive indeciveness is a good thing whilst getting a sore a$$ when fence-sitting..............the anticipation of whats next gonna get parked in that up north ditch driveway of his has built & built & ummmmmmmmmmmm now we're talking bout a 323............. :D I think he should buy it. Or maybe a tidy E30 will seductively smile his way........

No mate, I haven`t punted $30,000 that I don`t have on one of the world`s fastest VW`s...but I still think keyboards should have some sort of breathyliser on them to stop those sorts of things happening. I even have desktop icons to Porsche sites...

I have got You tube vids of old 911`s giving it the full jandal around the Nurbergring, complete with screaming noises in German accents...

One day I`m gonna get a scale model of a 911 for the bookshelf..

I guess we all need a hobby...

I cracked up when I first read this yesterday - its ohhhh so true!!! :D Funny how in hindsight lots of things turn into 'Well F#ck, it was a great idea at the time", usually as blood alcohol levels stabilize to correct levels that becomes even more clearer........ :rolleyes:

Its weird, as Porsches don't really spin my wheels much for some reason. Like, I can appreciate them for what they are, what they can do etc, but I don't think theres any models that make me think its much else than a glorified Volkswagon thats been given some steroids. ;)

I dunno - maybe its just cos Porsche owners in NZ maybe got labelled with what might be a false stereo-typing years ago or sumpfink - dunno...... :unsure:

Mojo...you know what we think. For heaven`s sake buddy, it`s got a Pollen Filter !

Hit the button..now.

but it doesn't have a button Jonesey :P.

But I am getting in touch with the guy though.

• Like 1

For a 3 series Its missing a pedal.

For a 3 series Its missing a pedal.

I got like 2 extra pedals on my 318is that i dont need, so once I get it I can just install those 2 and make it 4 pedal.. 1 for accelaration, 1 for breaks, 1 for reverse and one for forward.

Yea, nah - nope............... :rolleyes:;):)

I think it looks a better prospect than the red one. More money, though.

I'll take it! :D

Got in touch with the owner, waiting for his reply. I dont mind the bit higher price if its the better car. I guess he will let it go for around 4.5 - 5K if I offered him.

anybody know whats that exhaust on the back and why it has a M3 or Msports badge on the trunk? is that factory or did some kid just decided to put a m3 badge on it? I migth have to remove the badges it leaving just the bmw logo, maybe i will put a 318is badge on it just for the lols.

Edited by MoJoJoe

I got like 2 extra pedals on my 318is that i dont need, so once I get it I can just install those 2 and make it 4 pedal.. 1 for accelaration, 1 for breaks, 1 for reverse and one for forward.

Are you trying to say you'd going to covert it to manual or something?. If hes wanting 7k so id be surprised if he'd accept anything less than 6k

Yes, down the line maybe when I get the time, and if I dont park it near allans house again. ;)

What they do is the same tactic as the old car salesman, inflate the price, that gives your inexperienced gullible buyer a feeling he can bargain with you while actually coming down to the price you want. better yet, put your inflated price on a sign, then you put a line through the numbers < like so, and put a price below for which you want it sold for, and put a flag "on sale today!". I did that once, Sold something for almost $2000 more then I bought it. and thats after driving it for 6 months with some lite restorations. I will offer him if he gets back to me, I think if the car checks out I will take this over the red one.

ps: whats with the exhaust and m badge?

Edited by MoJoJoe

anybody know whats that exhaust on the back and why it has a M3 or Msports badge on the trunk? is that factory or did some kid just decided to put a m3 badge on it? I migth have to remove the badges it leaving just the bmw logo, maybe i will put a 318is badge on it just for the lols.

Looks like a Remus or similar back box. Could be anything really, with the car being ex-Japan.

The ///M badge could be factory (although unlikely), but it does have sports seats and Motorsport suspension. Or did, ex-factory.

Yes, down the line maybe when I get the time, and if I dont park it near allans house again. ;)

What they do is the same tactic as the old car salesman, inflate the price, that gives your inexperienced gullible buyer a feeling he can bargain with you while actually coming down to the price you want. better yet, put your inflated price on a sign, then you put a line through the numbers < like so, and put a price below for which you want it sold for, and put a flag "on sale today!". I did that once, Sold something for almost $2000 more then I bought it. and thats after driving it for 6 months with some lite restorations. I will offer him if he gets back to me, I think if the car checks out I will take this over the red one.

ps: whats with the exhaust and m badge?

Lols - me & you would bond soooooooooooooooo well as a buyer / seller type of thing. :rolleyes:;) See, I ask what I really want for it. With no negotiation. No trades of first born, lame donkeys or your offer to do nasty things to yourself if you can't pay in anything other than cash or a bank transfer........... ;):) Like, those are 'the rules', & anyone that wants to d!ck me around just gets told to "F#ck off", twice if they're a bit thick & don't get the message the first time.......... ;) Its 'The Southland Way' on doing things - works fine............

I think you've made the sale price of your 318 parts EXTREMELY negotiable now.................... :rolleyes::)

I'd be surprised if he accepts a low-ball offer too, but hey, keep us in da loop on how it works out for ya ae........ :D

Edit - yea, nah, yea, I reckon that M badge is real ae..........

Edited by Blue-540i

Lols - me & you would bond soooooooooooooooo well as a buyer / seller type of thing. :rolleyes:;) See, I ask what I really want for it. With no negotiation. No trades of first born, lame donkeys or your offer to do nasty things to yourself if you can't pay in anything other than cash or a bank transfer........... ;):) Like, those are 'the rules', & anyone that wants to d!ck me around just gets told to "F#ck off", twice if they're a bit thick & don't get the message the first time.......... ;) Its 'The Southland Way' on doing things - works fine............

I think you've made the sale price of your 318 parts EXTREMELY negotiable now.................... :rolleyes::)

I'd be surprised if he accepts a low-ball offer too, but hey, keep us in da loop on how it works out for ya ae........ :D

Edit - yea, nah, yea, I reckon that M badge is real ae..........

I am a professional negotiator you know. Yea, I think we'd have this love hate relation, where I love blue and you hate me. :lol: Since I would try to buy crap from you by trading some of those chicks I find around schools and up the mountains as currency. Too bad the earth swallowed your whole town and now you live up north like me. :P;):(

To be honest, Yea I am like you too, I offer a decent price, I am willing to go a bit here and there if they want to low ball me, sold a gear knob the other day for $40 bucks you know. I told the guy to take my whole gearbox for like $250. I sold my leather door cards for only $150 wher the guys in auckland sell them for $500 in any condtion. (See I like passing on the savings to people). And its not like I duped 1 guy into paying $2000 more for my crap, there were some 2 other parties intrested but wanted to low ball me too much. I politely told them how much I bought the car for and then said how much I am going to sell it, the rude fat useless big city slut kept telling me I cant do that, I told her to stop me if she can, some guy came the next day and offered me $400 more then what she wanted to pay. Sold it to him and sent her a txt how I had sold it. :D

See I was initially gonna sell it to her even at her lower then market price(and wof outta my pocket unlike the next guy who paid me the wof and my asking price), problem with her was but she acted like some proud yank or pom (nobody shows more pride then me, but I tolarated her) however she just kept getting more rude and wouldn't let me come with her for a test drive (in my own car!?)! So I played along, let her test drive it, go where she wanted to go, let her get her hopes up and then I cut her off! :D I cant stand telemarketers and rude people, Thats why I keep an big axe at home. ;)

Did I rip the guy off? Nope, I got him a new wof and he was happy with the car! I simply bought a car that was worth 30K NZ new just 10 years ago, It had a few issues like a small oil leak and a few things here and there that needed some DIY time, I got it for a for a bargain, I gave the guy what he asked for it and bought it! Then put some work as I went and then enentually decided to sell it and made a profit doing it. Today that car is still selling for more then what I sold it 4 years ago. ;)

Edited by MoJoJoe

I think I'll understand that ^^^^ a bit better next Friday night ;) , after I've had a few, secure in the knowledge you've made a deal & car worrrrk out for ya :) - I'm sure we'll get there on it ae - I think theres some logic in what ya said though.......

So whats the 'in thing' this coming week - that red one still.............?? :)

So whats the 'in thing' this coming week - that red one still.............?? :)

What part of that song and the sentence I love blue didn't you understand.

I'll take the blue one. its better overall, not as many issues as the red one. price difference will make up for repairs needed for the red one. I'll talk the price with him when he gets back to me and hopefully have it in my drive way by next weekend. :)

• Like 1

Mojo...my bud. This is one hell of a thread. I am going back to work on Monday. Full of New Year`s resolutions etc.

But I need to see you in a new Bimmer by next weekend. This is important stuff.

i`m off now..work tomorrow. Buy something. Please....

• Like 1

What part of that song and the sentence I love blue didn't you understand.

Ditto what that Crusaders guy reckons.........!!!! ;):) Before we have to find something else to yarn about like fruit-fly gestation periods in the tropical & slipppppery road north.......

I'd like to think that by next weekend we can be helping ya with fault-finding, fault fixing, & then sorting out some glovebox cures for your new E36............ :D We're great like that here........ :D

Oh - I was supposed to watch that vid huh??? :rolleyes: Might have to take some pills first - looks like some members of whats maybe your fav band are reaching out for a group hug, so I resisted the temptation on hitting 'play' there.......... :) Thought it might make my ears bleed or something............

My people aren't crusaders or terrorists like the poms and yanks. Its just a funny song from a neighbouring nation, lisen to it.

"I'm Blue I want Justin Beber to Die, I want Beber to Die I want Beber to die!
I'm Blue if I was Green i would die... :lol:

For starters maybe some Everly Brothers, Richi Valens, Iggy pop, Sting, Black Sabbat, Johnny Cash, Anya and Equinox will do me okay. Just dont ya and yer kids never ever go playing any of the new age backstreet boys, justice beber or other hip hop crap that come out in the last 20 years and I will be right at home. ;)

Okay I like Green too. Happy? Just not on cars ;):)

Mojo...my bud. This is one hell of a thread. I am going back to work on Monday. Full of New Year`s resolutions etc.

But I need to see you in a new Bimmer by next weekend. This is important stuff.

i`m off now..work tomorrow. Buy something. Please....

Will do.. hope that guy gets back to me soon, I want to finish this up by this week.

I'll be back...

The owner of the blue car is being a pia to communicate. I dont know how he expects to sell his car to anybody, the guys listing expired so he re listed it and lowered the price a bit more.

here's the new listing:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=684961085

anybody know this fellow around Hamilton? I am sure if he'd get back I'd at least try and work out a deal if everything checked out.

But he didn't reply to me, got his number from the new listing, but wont respond or text me back.