Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

^^^^^ See Blue, he's starting to crack. As I predicted, the Citroen isn't far away now :P

Yea mate, you watch - it'll end up being a Citreon, a rePulsar, or another 318 slushy with 'M' badges on it - we should start a sweepstake........... :D

I dont even really know what you want anymore besides not paying more than 6k.

Since you have said you will be happy with an 540i why dont you check out this one:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540ia/auction-684171623.htm

E34's have quality interiors so not need to worry about that

Way more power and torque than 325\328i, check

Take the remaining 2-3k and chuck in new shocks\springs, tyres and bushings and even a lsd

The result is a car that is probably going to be better than any E36 that you willing to pay for.

Yea mate, you watch - it'll end up being a Citreon, a rePulsar, or another 318 slushy with 'M' badges on it - we should start a sweepstake........... :D

Yer never gonna take me alive in those, :P

to be honest the 318is slussy box aren't that bad. they were ratted one of the best under 30k handling cars of the 90's. besides, its not like you drive a stick or something. a boat with a auto with the life time fluid and a 20 year old suspension not looked after wont be too far away from my slushy box.

^^^^^ See Blue, he's starting to crack. As I predicted, the Citroen isn't far away now :P

oh my! you are right.. I was just reconsidering my options since a 325i is not that far off...but now that you have said it, maybe you are right..na f it. i wont settle for less.

I dont even really know what you want anymore besides not paying more than 6k.

Since you have said you will be happy with an 540i why dont you check out this one:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540ia/auction-684171623.htm

E34's have quality interiors so not need to worry about that

Way more power and torque than 325\328i, check

Take the remaining 2-3k and chuck in new shocks\springs, tyres and bushings and even a lsd

The result is a car that is probably going to be better than any E36 that you willing to pay for.

Its either a e36 328i or a e34 540i. With the consideration of a 325is, but that's a wild card (since the both make similar hp numbers with the exception of the 328i making more torque and 300cc more displacement. I am willing to go more then 6k if the car is more worth it to me. colour of the car and the options matter too. personally I dont see myself paying over 6k for a 328i with no lsd or some sport options.

can you get me such a car, that is a 540i and can out accelerate / handle an good 328i(like the the blue one you drove)? interior of the 540i's are hands down makes e36 insides look like some cheap yankmobile. my price isn't exactly set in stone but I like to bargain too, I wouldn't want to pay for something overpriced and if it can be had for a bit less.

edit: a 540i..something like this, in black or white..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/nz/auction-678501090.htm

Edited by MoJoJoe

Can't help but wonder as to why banana's are yellow, rather than red or some other colour............and why are some bent, rather than not?? Like, is that when the banana-bender is having a slack day @ work or what?? :huh:

Can't help but wonder as to why banana's are yellow, rather than red or some other colour............and why are some bent, rather than not?? Like, is that when the banana-bender is having a slack day @ work or what?? :huh:

get off the stuff your are on. Banana's are not yellow they are green. you can make them red and black too if you fancy the colours. Bannas are green, roses are black, the sky is sunny screw you blue I want that car. there is a ditch near allans house with my name on it, I gotta erase the ditch by a blood sacrifice which involves an african negro witch doctor, a cow, an german pron star, and an japanese student. its the only way according to locals. :ph34r:

Edited by MoJoJoe
  • Like 1

All i was trying to say its better to get something a bit cheaper maybe not perfect but still in decent condition and spend the money saved to make the car better. Otherwise you may be looking very long time.

The fact is unless its some real enthusiasts pride and joy and they have refreshed\upgraded all the suspension components, its probably never going handle as good it was when new. Sure the blue 328i handling was easily acceptable but my 535is was still better as im on good rubber and have replaced\upgraded near every suspension part because i wanted it to handle. For you average person that would be a waste of money.

So you can either drag this record on hoping you find the perfect car ~6k or get something respectable and throw some money at it like most of us do.

First time ive seen Canada version E36

Not the greatest rims yeah but think they look ok, If the interior is tidy and motor is good then a few spray cans to for colour code the sides and spend the rest on new shocks\springs\tyres etc. Done.

• Like 1

All i was trying to say its better to get something a bit cheaper maybe not perfect but still in decent condition and spend the money saved to make the car better. Otherwise you may be looking very long time.

The fact is unless its some real enthusiasts pride and joy and they have refreshed\upgraded all the suspension components, its probably never going handle as good it was when new. Sure the blue 328i handling was easily acceptable but my 535is was still better as im on good rubber and have replaced\upgraded near every suspension part because i wanted it to handle. For you average person that would be a waste of money.

So you can either drag this record on hoping you find the perfect car ~6k or get something respectable and throw some money at it like most of us do.

First time ive seen Canada version E36

Not the greatest rims yeah but think they look ok, If the interior is tidy and motor is good then a few spray cans to for colour code the sides and spend the rest on new shocks\springs\tyres etc. Done.

Okay I messaged the seller. Not sure if I will be too keen but lets see where this goes.

I have a m3 rear bumper and sides, will probably grab a front one from tardme. I know a guy who can respray it all for me to match the colour.

is shocks and springs all I need to do? I dont want to go through a complete overhaul. How much am I looking at Jared? You seem to be the handling guy.

Also, what puts me off even though its got a LSD its the fact the M50 motors potential, the m52 seems like easier to work with to get better hp/torque with motor only mods.

Cant say im really clued up on M50 vs M52 power mods but I myself would still take the M50 robustness over M52. Some good headers and a remap probably still going to be the best valve $ for power and that's all id personally probably do, even that seems a waste unless you are converting it to manual as the auto going to suck power and just be generally sh*t.

Shocks\springs and wheels\tyres are what i start with. Haven't really looked into pricing for E36's but would think you'd be able to get a new set of sport shocks for <1k landed from overseas at places like shox.com. Should be plenty of options for springs locally or maybe you could get spring\shock package for a good deal second hand or overseas if shipping and GST aint too bad.

• Like 1

Coupla quick questions - why do ya get all excited bout it having a LSD already.............................???? I agree with what Jared is telling ya .......... ;)

What colour is the cow...........?? :rolleyes:

Edited by Blue-540i

Mate - with the $3.5k you've saved you can get new rims and a respray!

Hell, throw some more $$$ at it, fit ATBs, an exhaust and an aftermarket EMS, and it'll make more power than a 328.

• Like 1

You're all assuming he's actually got some money and isn't just a trolling tyre kicker.

• Like 1

Coupla quick questions - why do ya get all excited bout it having a LSD already.............................???? I agree with what Jared is telling ya .......... ;)

What colour is the cow...........?? :rolleyes:

When you convert your 540i to manual im sure you will want and then appreciate having one. Unless of course you like creating a smoke screen every time you try to floor it from a standstill haha.

The Car already looks kinda lowered, I wonder if somewhere down the line the owner had the shocks and springs done. Seems to be one NZ owner apart from the canuckistani owner before him.

What do you think Jared? something like this would be a straight swap/upgrade (but seems no springs on the rear)?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/auction-683764772.htm

Yea, I know all that, really, realistically, we've got ditch-boy getting all excited bout them but in the real world, just how useful is a LSD once its done say, oh I dunno, 65,000kms anyway............

Like, it'd well be due for a strip & look-see at the clutch packs, reshim etc......... ;)

Yea, I know all that, really, realistically, we've got ditch-boy getting all excited bout them but in the real world, just how useful is a LSD once its done say, oh I dunno, 65,000kms anyway............

Like, it'd well be due for a strip & look-see at the clutch packs, reshim etc......... ;)

I slid into a ditch and now I am suddenly ditch boy, looking for a new toy. :D:rolleyes: a 25% LSD may not sound much but its pretty fun. Better to get the power to the ground and handling overall, you have more control over your car if you know how to counter steer out of a skid. Unlike that asc + t you probably got on your e34 which cuts off the power most when you need it. I have owned cars with LSDs and without them. why do you think I want a e36 with lsd so bad. If I bought one without it, I would go buy one and spend a night putting it in. I want it to be exactly what my other car was. Doesn't have to be fast, just has to be fun to drive and in good mechanical and physical shape.

And the diff gears should be just fine, as long as the owner wasn't a track sloot and drove his car too aggressively all the time.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Mines done 346,000k and still lockups quite well. Obviously i dont know its history.

The Car already looks kinda lowered, I wonder if somewhere down the line the owner had the shocks and springs done. Seems to be one NZ owner apart from the canuckistani owner before him.

What do you think Jared? something like this would be a straight swap/upgrade (but seems no springs on the rear)?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/auction-683764772.htm

Yeah sort of does, im sure its had shocks done at those km. Good(and bad in a way) thing about the E36's is you can check what shocks its running when the viewing car.

Yeah should be a direct bolt on. Only issue with 2nd hand you dont know how history of them or what they really like till you install them but bilsteins should give a good lifespan. As for the springs the guy is a member one here so you can ask him

You're all assuming he's actually got some money and isn't just a trolling tyre kicker.

Lol

• Like 1

Lol

Lol. You make a very good point you know. :D. But those who do that look and constantly want to inspect a lot of cars. I so far have only liked 2 cars and even out of one of which I backed off due to the interior and issues.

I have sold many cars and I think I can tell tyre kickers from their attitude, they ask small questions, come by, usually some snotty teenager or some kid in their early 20's (usually chicks) who come by try to low ball the price before they want to drive it. Or they just kick the tyres and leave. Here's a funny story, I was selling a car about 4 years ago, and this young couple came by, they curbed the wheel and their tyre deflated infront of my house, I helped them with my jack and stuff and put their tyre back for them, gave them a tour of the car, (I think it was a mazda or a honda). They said they like it and will come back in an hour, kept me waiting till I texted them if they were still coming, said. No sorry, not interested. "Well ya coulda texted me and said that when ya wanted me to keep waiting for hours, f^ckers" :unsure::rolleyes:

To be Honest, these cars are now pretty old like it or not and they dont cost as much as they used to, The 318is went for 5K from turners. no Kidding, Still have the receipt! Now they can be had for a lot less. Heck yanks are paying like 5K ~ 6K for their e36 m3's these days (canada ones with the euro s50b32 motors). I dont know, just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should just go nuts and spend it.. I made a budget, and a tight criteria, interior, exterior, mechanical must be good, must have lower km's and lsd is prefered. And for that will go above 6K (okay maybe a bit more) But thats it. I always had plans to own a 328i, I was waiting for the right time, I know if I wait long enough I can get one that fits my criteria. Thing is, waiting is the hardest part. :lol:

Mines done 346,000k and still lockups quite well. Obviously i dont know its history.

Yeah sort of does, im sure its had shocks done at those km. Good(and bad in a way) thing about the E36's is you can check what shocks its running when the viewing car.

Yeah should be a direct bolt on. Only issue with 2nd hand you dont know how history of them or what they really like till you install them but bilsteins should give a good lifespan. As for the springs the guy is a member one here so you can ask him

As long you replace the diff fluid you should be fine. Ofcourse eventually the locked diff will become a open diff but taken care of that wont be anytime soon. (fingers crossed) Speaking of which, when was the last time anyone with a LSD here replaced theirs? :D

I will see what the seller says and if I like the sound of it I will pop in this weekend and take it for a spin around allans house.

Yea, I know that guy, I have bought stuff from him before, didnt know there were so many members here who are also sellers on trademe. :P Lets see how it goes, I am also expecting something from the Blue car owner, I might just end up offering him a bit more closer to what he wanted, that is if his other deal fails and he still doesn't budge. ;)

:)

Edited by MoJoJoe

Soooooo, back to the Woodstock heading my way.................& the cow colour................like, "Heeeello"................ :rolleyes:

Agree with what ya said re LSD's & counter steering etc, nice theory. Might wanna swot up a bit on da practical aspects though ae........... :lol::D

I replace diff oils regulary, & only with Castrol product - its great!! ;)

Yea you're right DB, the E34 has got the ASC+T on it, which umm, has a off button............

Edit. Somewhat unbelievably, this thread that's on northern mind altering substances has had nearly 1000 extra views in the last 24hrs...... :rolleyes::)

Edited by Blue-540i

The Cow is White in colour, No I am not gonna sacrifice the cow, you use it to run over the negro or pom witch doctor that sits on the old indian burial ground(ditch). that way their blood goes into the land and it the curse is removed. Dont worry, this time I wont call the police. And if I am careful enough I wont need a tow either. I know the practical, I tried trust me, counter steering, but it wasn't enough to pull it out, not enough grip or power (318is :P) but it did make the car go 180 deg and sidled in side ways in the bush, rear first quarter. :lol: otherwise I would had gone deeper and sustained more damage.

Now tell me what do you think personally - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=685461189

on a side note, I dont know why ya changing the diff oil on your open diff that much, I think once every 20,000K would be enough. Do you southerners use canola oil or do ya just pour the olive oil everywhere like the greeks and italians? :rolleyes:

Yea you're right DB, the E34 has got the ASC+T on it, which umm, has a off button............

vader.jpg

Edited by MoJoJoe

I think it's auto and from my experience, streets slower than a 328i.

In fact, as a reference, I once beat one easily in our old Pulsar GTi. That was in about 2004, the guy looked like he'd still be disappointed now.

Edited by Palazzo
  • Like 1