Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

You gotta realise that most people nowdays have a fair idea of what their car is worth. Years ago dealers had a secret wee book which arrived once a month showing prices for cars all around the country.They`d use the wee book to price tradeins, particularly for cars they were unfamiliar with. And people trading cars had no idea what their cars were actually worth. It was a bit of a lottery, and I was in the business for a while.

In my experience, If you like the car buy it. Don`t piss the vendor around by offering 20 % less. If he`s used his brain he has already discounted a bit so he can sell the thing.

Exactly............well said...........I tend to buy most of my vehicles 'sight unseen, it is what it is' sorta thing, unless its a new one........even my 540 was brought like that, & I gotta say that touch wood, its always worked out fine.........

Meanwhile, 502 pages later here.........we're still playing pocket tiddly-winks.......... :rolleyes:

Dead right. The gomers won`t go near the bigger cars. Too hard to see out of.

Sorry Blue, my post was in response to Eagle`s post. You`re right, I bought my car nz new, 2 owners same family in Auckland.

A mate went around to check it out, it was smoking a bit and the consensus was rocker cover gasket. So what, I paid him what he wanted ( bargain anyway)and got it trucked down to ChCh.

Ive got it sorted now, heck of a car, and the vendor got his money before I`d even touched the thing.

Remember though, we are talking BMW here. Worth the risk ????

• Like 1

Blue is right I think its been enough guys, we have exhausted out options, i get the point, Nothing is on trademe worth looking atm, meanwhile let me see if I can pop in and view the local white car this weekend. You know like Jared said, maybe if the suspension is still good and everything else is in order then it wont be such a bad car once the pannels have been color matched and I do a bit tlc and call it a day.

Jonesey I agree with what you say brother, seems the car market has changed a lot in the last decade. I havent really bought anything since 2010. haa,,,,You know maybe its not such a big deal, I will try to offer closer from now on if I really like the car. If the blue car doesn't sell I will see what he says and maybe will consdier offering him more.

Allan, funny you knew I was going to go up to 8K, Thats what I discussed with somebody in my PM!! Damn you, I will be paying a visit around your place soon if I end up getting the the white car :D

can anybody see if I am looking at it wrong because the rear clearly shows 1 exhaust tip, I asked the guy he sais it was standard. hasn't sent me better pictures but I will try to pop in and look at it myself. any tips what to check?

I probably wont be back as often unless I work something out or come across something we can talk about. (yea yea I know)... :rolleyes:

Edited by MoJoJoe

I wouldn't get too hung up on the exhaust on a 20+ year old car - it's probably been replaced and so long as it isn't a dustbin (as so often found on Subarus and the like these days) and it works appropriately, it'll be fine.

Personally, I think the grey/silver coupe is a better bet as it has the suspension you'll like. However, I appreciate the attraction of being able to buy locally.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I think it has a replacement muffler - so only one tip. There'a good chance it will sounds like crap, but you never know! Check heavily underneath for rust - it's from snowy Canada, and early E36's sometimes had issues underneath, around the rear subframe mounts and chassis members. Didn't someone on here have a REALLY early one that was rooted from rust underneath (1990 build date - 1991 model year)?

You might have to come for a visit - the bush is starting to grow back! :P

;)

Hmmm... do I recall the US model Versions (like this one) coming with some shitty 4 speed US made autobox?

I had a look at it today. cant say it was too bad but cant say was good either. Paint was okay. the door cards are usual a bit sag here and there. shocks seemd avarage ~ stiff. the throttle was a bit less responsibve which bothered me the most and the car felt a bit underpowered untill I had to floor it. I must say my 318is motor was more responsive! exhaust was replaced, no rust under it, but probably exhaust was repalced due to rust issues in canada. just did basic services as oil change. I think I will keep looking. :rolleyes::(

Too bad colins one has a dirty headliner and the door cards are sagging and its silver too, Otherwise it looks pretty decent then most crap I have seen listed for sale on trademe

Edited by MoJoJoe

The M50's are a little gutless down low - they need a bit of revs to get moving - the Vanos on the M52 helps to overcome some of that (as long as the Vanos seals are good). I remember it being one of the things the press noticed when they came out - the E30 was only a 12 Valve, but wasn't a low down grunter either - the big motor in a smaller body didn't make it noticable though. The M50 24 Valve suffered like most multivalve engines of the time - the difference was fairly obvious compared to the outgoing model.

The manual trans versions are way betterer B)

Also, comparing to your 318is isn't going to help either, as the 6 will always sound like it's revving more. I usually either ride my bike, or drive the 4 cyl VW van to work, so sometimes when I drive the E39 up those two steep hills closer to Parahaki, I think it feels a bit gutless... then I realise I'm only doing 1800-2000 rpm :o ... and it's still going up there as fast as a 2002 2.2 auto Camry I had from work, 'cept the foot was hard down in the Camry :lol:

I know what you mean, have you ever taken your 5 up mt. tiger? thats where I go when I want some real twisty driving, fast, slow, fast, break, turn, turn again, speed off... :lol: Kamo is good too, but its too open and straight. But the 318i was hella fun around corners, the m50 just felt bloated and handeling wasn't as confident.

what do you say Allan... should I take the plunge and take it for 6K ish? Have the e36/328i's in good condtion hit rock bottom? As in could I sell it off in a few years without taking a big hit? (if I didn't park it again infront of your house.? :P

that good ol chubby blue is probably drunk by now like boris yatsin @ the fall of the USSR :D

nope, its only 4pm, cant be time for him to wake up yet.

Edited by MoJoJoe
  • Like 1

Been through Mt Tiger a lot B) Way better than the coast road. Unless you have passengers!

Which one is the $6k for? I think I'm confused now :unsure:

I used to go up mt. tiger often, just for the heck of it, beach road is pretty nice too.

I'm talking about this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=684961085

its a good car, jared checked it out, interior was good too. guy offered me 6.5 K, but its got no lsd and the other mojo I'm loking for, so didn't offer him more then 5.5k.

this e39 540i could also be a good prospect for $6400 ..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-686946335.htm

anybody down north...welly...Blue...?? :P

or this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-681817919.htm

Edited by MoJoJoe

The white 540i looks a very good buy on paper. The other one not so much at 200K+ kms and those ridiculous M6 20" wheels... Not that you're actually going to buy anything, you're just going to talk about buying... Forever.

• Like 1

and what if I bought anything? :P

Okay I admit I am being very picky and radicalizing it, but I am just not finding what I want, lol. I think even if I paid 6.5K I wont find one with LSD, or if I do it wont hav the msports stuff or might have a bad interior. :ph34r: Okay I admit so far the Blue car gets very close to what I want minus an LSD box. So now I will offer him more. :huh:

The white 540i looks a very good buy on paper. The other one not so much at 200K+ kms and those ridiculous M6 20" wheels... Not that you're actually going to buy anything, you're just going to talk about buying... Forever.

Yea, gotta agree with ya here - the white one by a longshot................. ;):)

I'm cracking up at the bit on tail-pipes, like seriously, that's gonna make a difference really on whether to buy it or noooooot?? ;):)

Reality, in totally my opinion, is probably 80% of E36 cars out there nowdays are just a f#cked P.O.S., whether its at 2k or 6k pricing Ditch-Boy...... :rolleyes:

They are the budget car in the BMW line-up at the time...................as time has marched on from new they have had (in the bulk of cases..) owners who were / are attracted by the badge on the front, & for the sake of a extra $45 per month over 48 months, over the Camry they shoulda brought, they got the E36 instead because 'it looks better in the driveway'..........

As such, they haven't been maintained, they wear cheap tyres etc, & at this stage of their life they need some TLC........... ;)

The 'lucky ones' get brought by enthusiasts now - the unlucky ones get further boganised / b#stardised by backwards cap wearing wannabes that see the next step being wreckers, or scrap metal truck.......... ;):)

Difference is 5 & 7 series cars at the time, & generally on the way through, lead a fairly pampered & sheltered life in comparison....... ;)

E39 540 aye but that one would be a no save $$$$ buy mine lol I'm sure blue would be willing to check it out for u

I agree with pretty much what you said blue. sadly its true. people see the badge not the car.

/ I am thinking to call the guy and throw my 6K offer at him, but seems even his exhaust is standard. damn it I want my perfect e36 328i. :(

Edited by MoJoJoe

E39 540 aye but that one would be a no save $$$$ buy mine lol I'm sure blue would be willing to check it out for u

Absolutely - then between the both of ya I'd be able to get on the bourbon flavoured Fanta's bigtime........... :lol::D

But umm, aren't you supposed to be keeping your one Jamie............ :D

sadly its true. people see the badge not the car. I agree with prettymuch you said blue

/ I am thinking to call the guy and throw my 6K offer at him, but seems even his exhaust is standard. damn it I want my perfect e36 328i. :(

Picture it as like trying to find the perfect woman..................sometimes ya gotta kick a few rocks on the way.............. ;):)

I heard Allan is heading your way soonish, gonna tip ya upside down so all the loose change falls outa pockets, & then he'll be away to find ya something......... ;)

Too bad colins one has a dirty headliner and the door cards are sagging and its silver too, Otherwise it looks pretty decent then most crap I have seen listed for sale on trademe

Whats this nonsense, the roof is suede!!! :P The door cards haven't been recovered because suede has no stretch and I haven't found any stretch fabric to do them with yet.

Furthermore, silver will stick out better so people can see you in the ditch :P:D:rolleyes:

• Like 1

lol at the 540s, I'd have to say I'm more sold on the 530 :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=686711679 looks preeeety mint for the km :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=681894319 less km but worse photography haha

That first 530, at the right price would be primo............I'd buy it, its sweet!!! ;):)

Pah... Everyone goes on about the 530's balance, better steering system, etc but f*ck that. I'd take the extra 140Nm of torque the V8 delivers any day of the week!!

• Like 2

Well yes Jooles, theres always that side of things too...........& hey, doesn't matter what ya do with a 530, its never ever in its wildest dreams gonna sound anything like my 540 currently does............... :lol::D

Bar a M5, I think the only thing better would maybe be a super-charged V8...........I've heard some mad ba$tard has got that in the works...........the things some people do just so it can be as quick as a 328............ :rolleyes:;):D:)

Exactly, i was just about to post the same thing. Sure the 530i handles a little and has nicer steering feel but its nothing compared to having more hp and way more torque with a V8.

My E34 is nearly as fast as a 530i with its M30 engine that come out in early 80's making the M54 a pretty pathetic engine power wise, most of them are slushboxes too making the handle benefits a moot point to me.

• Like 1