Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

High miles on bmw engines?

My last car had a bit high miles like now sits around 250K on the engine, never really had any issues. Today I came across a 328i with high milage around 300K's but seems it was well maintained. I like it because its NZ New and had only 2 owners I think. Its also got a sunroof (So I can eject myself incase of...errrr something bad like slipping into a ditch. The Exterior and Interior condtion seems to be quite good.

So anyway I was wondering. is 300K considered bad/dead on M52 motors? Do ours suffer from the US Nikasi block issues (I guess that was due to the higher sulfer rate on US cars)? Guy is wanting just 3K for it, is that something to be cautious about?

Edited by MoJoJoe

:rolleyes:

I dont see what the problem is. Is there like a restriction for starting a new thread to discuss something or do we have to derail it as well?

I want some information on bmw engines with higher miles, more so the ones found on 3 series cars, eg. the m52. I am sure if it were to die in the future I could swap it out with something better(US or Euro Spec m3 motor) with the savings I make, hopefully someone with enough knowledge will come across and enlighten me and give me some honest input, I am just asking for opinions,

Edited by MoJoJoe

:rolleyes:

I dont see what the problem is. Is there like a restriction for starting a new thread to discuss something or do we have to derail it as well?

I want some information on bmw engines with higher miles, more so the ones found on 3 series cars, eg. the m52. I am sure I could swap it out with something better with the savings I make, hopefully someone with enough knowledge will come across and enlighten me and give me some honest input, I am just asking for opinions,

If it has been looked after the engine itself is mot yhe issue they are made to be rebuilt,or swapped.its the (auto) gearbox that I reckon is the thong. To be worried about,and the rest of the car

If it has been looked after the engine itself is mot yhe issue they are made to be rebuilt,or swapped.its the (auto) gearbox that I reckon is the thong. To be worried about,and the rest of the car

Its the euro gearbox since the car is NZ new and the guy says the gear shifts are good, the condtions seems to be good, Other then rust and maybe the suspension is ther anything else I should be looking for in a car that has gone the "distance". engine vanos? hydrolic lifters etc? any tips would be appreciated. thanks

People worry about engines so much.

It's the rest of the car you need to worry about!

Any decent car will do many, many hundreds of thousands of kms if they're looked after. I've had several cars with well over 300kms on, and no issues with any of them. I actually had more issues with a 2002 Corolla between new and 150K than I had on the cars with 300K+ (although one Legacy did lunch a trans at about 300K). One of them ended up at a business on Tutukaka Coast, and it had done 420K when I last saw it - had a clutch and an exhaust manifold since they brought it.

The problem is: Kiwi's are sh*t at looking after cars - as they get older, they start to be cheap with them, and they become wrecks pretty quick after that. They seem to think it's cheaper to buy another car and the old one isn't spending money on - if it was a decent car, that very rarely the case!

If you find one that's been properly looked after, the kms are somewhat immaterial. It may have already had a bunch of stuff done, so may be better than a car with 100K on it.

• Like 1

The E36s were never designed to be a long lived car. If you want something that will still happily run after 550000km might I suggest a Falcodore. Perhaps take some local cars out for a drive and see what you think?

I usually ask more questions when looking at cars with 200k or less, purely because things that haven't been replaced in the early days will likely give out. A car that has reached 300k and is in that condition is a pretty good sign, especially an e36.

thanks guys, I appreciate the responses, I think I'm gonna see if I can get somebody to have a look at it and take it for a ride, and then if everything checks out I'll take it. I'll let you guys know how things go. If there's any pointers you think has been left out that I should fill in the person looking then let me know. so far seems good.

"oil change, 60000km spark plugs. air filter, rocker cover gasket replacement. Yes the A/C works, The auto gearbox works very well with excellent sports mode and snow mode. Still has plenty of power. I have driven it to auck many times & always a pleasure"

Quite sad but agree with you there @Allan, very well put. hope this is an exception, inside sure looks like it. :)

Edited by MoJoJoe

At 300k's, any E36 that reaches that, is road legal & still moves under it's own steam probably deserves to be displayed in a glass-case............ ;)

• Like 1

At 300k's, any E36 that reaches that, is road legal & still moves under it's own steam probably deserves to be displayed in a glass-case............ ;)

:lol::D

if I keep it for 2 more years it will be officially an antic. wanna trade?

I have seen some bmws with under 150K on trademe that had a number of issues with the engine due to poor maintenence or driver habbits as some members here told me earlier on my other topic. i dont know though, there are some good points in this thread, car looks very well taken care of, might have some actual engine work or rebuild done by the previous owner since tis got the whole interior reuoholistered professionally. usually a 1 ~ 1.5K Job when I was quoted to do mine. could be a gem, could be a leamon, wont know untill I get to talk a bit more with the owner, and maybe if somebody took it for a drive. lets see..

Edited by MoJoJoe

cmon man. buy something already. you are buying a 2nd hand bmw.... be prepared to spend some $$$

talk a bit more with the owner, and maybe if somebody took it for a drive. lets see..

How many conversations do you intend on having? Line some cars up to test drive over a day or two, come down here, and drive back home with one of them.

Cars this old come with condition ranging the full spectrum from totally sh*t and dying in every way, to near perfect. Not model specific, not anything specific just the varying lives of a bunch of cars 20 years old. Aside from the common problem of a JATCO auto, you're on a wild goose chase with the 101 questions.

• Like 2

How many conversations do you intend on having? Line some cars up to test drive over a day or two, come down here, and drive back home with one of them.

Cars this old come with condition ranging the full spectrum from totally sh*t and dying in every way, to near perfect. Not model specific, not anything specific just the varying lives of a bunch of cars 20 years old. Aside from the common problem of a JATCO auto, you're on a wild goose chase with the 101 questions.

I am just looking at this one on the side, I came across this, I was just curious about the high mileage and stuff. the car looks very tidy and well looked after, almost as much as that other blue one. I picked 3 cars. A Red one which I dropped earlier since it had too many problems and the interior was falling apart, A Blue one also in waikato which is very very good overall with 140K on the odo (somebody tested it) , a bit pricy but worth it, still working on it with the seller, hard to find somebody willing to tag along at the moment. unfortunately I live quite far from both cars, the waikato car is around 600Km trip to and back and the Taranaki, NP car is around 1200KM / 14hr trip to and back. so you can see coming down in and out every time to check a car is not a very viable option. but i am trying to see if I can find someone in Np to look at it for me and if things check out then there is a possibility of me having it shipped or driven half the way or something. We'll see..

Edited by MoJoJoe

my 328 has done 345,000 and the engine has done 380,000 and ive never had a better car everything is sound no rust not crash damaged etc

My last E36 was a 92 325 and had done over 300km when I bought it, engine was mint as, it was manual and gearbox was as solid as too. My E30 has done 350km and the engine and box are great too. Both came from people who had looked after them, so I think the lesson is- look after your car, and it will look after you. I'm pretty sure somebody on here has that as their signature...

Dad uses a Crayola to commute with, has well over 550km on the clock, but it's only good features are reliability and fuel consumption. If I end up in hell when I'm dead, I fully expect to be handed a Corolla and told, "Go for a drive."

• Like 1

Dad uses a Crayola to commute with, has well over 550km on the clock, but it's only good features are reliability and fuel consumption. If I end up in hell when I'm dead, I fully expect to be handed a Corolla and told, "Go for a drive."

Before buying the 320d I found myself considering Toyota Corolla diesels, or even Nissan's AD. Practical, frugal, reliable, utilitarian... And as boring as. Pure purgatory.

In the UK, a car isn't really considered high mileage 'til it has topped 200000 miles. 320000km. And there are many with a lot more than that on them.

Yup - look after your car, and it will (normally) look after you.

Cripes Mojo. I have a formula for you. If you follow it, you wont go wrong.

1. Find BMW that you like

2. Verify that it has sunroof ( i wont buy a BMW without one...).

3. GET A PPI

4. Finalise transaction.

5. Profit.

• Like 1

So the consensus here is that the M52 is a solid engine and will go the distance. The problem with this example is that it probably doesn't have an LSD which I suspect will be the 'reason' why the OP does not buy this car.

• Like 1

So the consensus here is that the M52 is a solid engine and will go the distance. The problem with this example is that it probably doesn't have an LSD which I suspect will be the 'reason' why the OP does not buy this car.

Very few do, as you well know. Having said that, with a little patience and some good timing they can be had for reasonable sums, so long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty :)

When I made the comment that the E36 (only model I've owned so the only one I'll make comment on) was not designed with longevity in mind I wasn't referring to the engines. More the well documented issues with trims parting company with the surfaces they were mounted to, electric gadgets failing just from age (understandable) and other niggly bits that are more annoying than critical failures. Might I moot the reason the E30s are such a great car is they frequently didn't have the bits that their more modern counterparts are know to fail on? Personally I'd rather own an E36 over an E46 just because they're less complicated than their successors.

Mechanically speaking, my 325i ( and a mates NZ new manual 318is) have proven themselves to be near unkillable. Having said that, nearly everything 12v related (barring the headlights, starter & alternator) have pooped themselves at some point of ownership. But, they are 20+ year old cars now, these things are to be expected :)

Edit: High mileage isn't scary. Poor service records are!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

My old 325i had done 360,000+. headgasket went on it around a year after i purchased it (viscous coupler went) causing this. You will spend money on any second hand car, period. Does it come with service history? Mine came with 30K worth of receipts and was the only real reason i went through with the purchase.

Offer them low, spend 1k on maintenance (cooling system overhaul) and i reckon you will be fine. If the engine worries you, get it checked out for compression, leaks etc. Ask yourself, if you get it for 2.5k and spend 1k on maintenance can you justify the buy?

P.S. E30's are over-rated an average 90's Corolla is a better drive than an average E30 320

I think you just kicked off another 30 pager....

Nothing against the E36 but i wouldn't call it a solid design, if it were they wouldn't of used such sh*t house door trims among other things.

• Like 1