Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Mobile phone advice

The 4s (wife's phone) is ok on 7 but it's not as snappy as 5s. I wouldn't buy a 4s now. Getting a bit old.

Kind of liked the idea of a windows phone. Pervious versions have been unstable and hard to support, I like the idea and interface of 8 / 8.1 and brought myself a MS surface tablet. Was a great device until 8.1 updates come through. Browser is hardly usable .

Blackberry is an interesting one. Had a go with z10 . My concern with blackberry that if no one buys them they be out of operating cash over the next year or so which would see them in the Motorola situation.

At work my it team seem to have drawn a line down the middle. Half on androids , half on iOS

I was getting sh*t-sick of my iPhone 4 which had similar problems to your wife's. I was considering changing to Android because I was so annoyed with Apple. In the end, I got a 5S and couldn't be happier.

Anroid... apple... windows... who gives a sh*t.

You get what you pay for - the rest is semantics.

my 2c. I have a Galaxy, it's great, does what I want, and can display what I want when I am at the 'desktop' (widgets). On the flip side, iOS is simpler, cleaner and more straightforward.

IMO the galaxy has a bit more customisation points, but I've had various issues. iOS is easier to use. So unless she's/someone is a turbo-nerd I would be inclined to go towards Apple, more easier to pickup for the average jo/joe IMO.

• Like 1

You got a dud phone. Can happen to any brand, any OS.

Yup your right but it went back to service agents twice for locking up etc then came back a month later the screen starting coming out got replaced and started over again went to Nokia this time came back fixed did the same so I dropped it quiet hard as I'd had enough

My HTC One, about 2 months into ownership the Earpeice failed.

So annoyed, I returned it two days later they had a whole new handset for me to take home :)

And HTC are upping their game a lot with updates (4.4.2 came out a wee while ago), and quality of handsets. The One is 10fold better than anything they have released previously.

Unforunately the only high end HTC we get here is the One from over a year ago. Not worth buying, abeit is a much nicer feeling phone that just about anything else being unibody aluminium (milled from a single peice, weighted so it always falls on it's back)

and now HTC USA is offering free screen replacements if you drop your One, hopefully HTC NZ picks up something like that.

sh*t that sounds fanboyous.

My HTC One, about 2 months into ownership the Earpeice failed.

So annoyed, I returned it two days later they had a whole new handset for me to take home :)

And HTC are upping their game a lot with updates (4.4.2 came out a wee while ago), and quality of handsets. The One is 10fold better than anything they have released previously.

Unforunately the only high end HTC we get here is the One from over a year ago. Not worth buying, abeit is a much nicer feeling phone that just about anything else being unibody aluminium (milled from a single peice, weighted so it always falls on it's back)

and now HTC USA is offering free screen replacements if you drop your One, hopefully HTC NZ picks up something like that.

sh*t that sounds fanboyous.

Get a Samsung. They've always been best...

HTC for me. Samsung's stuff is all plastic and feels cheap - good features though. Don't like apple - handsets are too small and their business practices annoy me.

Xperia Z here. coming from a long line of SE's starting with M600, P1i, Arc S, Ray, and now Xperia Z. Hoping that Sony comes out with a worthy successor to the Xperia Z Ultra.

• Like 1

You should try it on a 4 my gfs is painfully slow lol

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it won't run on 4, maybe she has a 4S?

I don't mean to be a downer .. but the Windows OS is pretty much useless in New Zealand, bugger all of the local businesses support it in app development. That may change in the future.

HTC Butterfly for me and Sony Xperia Z Ultra for the girlfriend. You would not believe the amount of people staring when I took the Xperia into the resort pool during the holidays.

Had the works of phones, Samsung, Iphone, Xperia..

I am now finally settled with an Iphone 5c. I paid $800 for the 32GB at parallel import, best thing I did. I used to have a Iphone 4s and found that great too. Samsung S3 had problems always, and was actually really slow, and I can't stand slow, Hence having at least Quad core in all my devices..
Xperia was great, but again, just got outdated and became slow (compared)

Up to you, but she will like the Iphone... I enjoy the 5c, needed plastic as I drop my phone from some pretty rough heights and didn't want it sporting dents like the 4s.
I have dropped it from 3m's onto road, and it's still going at 100% :)