Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

Yay or nay? Hmm

test it on every kind of surface ... the high mileage oiler i tested last year felt rather rubbery when driving. the whole car must feel tight, and the engine must sound sweet.

Just get a pre purchase

Mileage in a well maintained car is largely irrelevant

Just get a pre purchase

Mileage in a well maintained car is largely irrelevant

True, but the price should reflect the mileage. There's been plenty of 525i and 530i E60's around with half the k's for near or around that price.

True, but the price should reflect the mileage. There's been plenty of 525i and 530i E60's around with half the k's for near or around that price.

Seconded. 300,000 km on any car leaves a maximum value of 5k, dropping rapidly if it's over 10 years old.

I suspect the dealer gave around 3k as a trade, asking for almost 10 grand is just blatant gouging IMO!

If its been well maintained and doing "COMMUTED AUCKLAND ROTORUA DAILY" then I think it could be worth a look.

Motorway cars are definitely nicer than city bound cars that suffer doing short runs, in start stop traffic rather than cruising at speed for hours.

Yup I purchased my E60 with slightly more KM's than I am used to. But full service history and no city driving at all.

Low KM's on a car of this age makes me wonder how many hours it has done sitting around idle.

Yup I purchased my E60 with slightly more KM's than I am used to. But full service history and no city driving at all.

Low KM's on a car of this age makes me wonder how many hours it has done sitting around idle.

Unless the engine is running overly rich at idle, I don't see why an engine that has idled for many hours in it's life is particularly bad... This just sounds like an internet myth.

• Like 1

They take longer to get to operating temperature, can sludge, and can carbon up. Just to name a couple of reason why idling for long periods is bad.

Mines diesel. I didn't want a short slow trip car. Apparently not good for them.

Stop/Start traffic has to be more stressful on the car than open road driving.

Buying a car at 300,000 km leaves you what when you want to move it on? Either its going to be a problem to sell, or worth nothing. Like i said, nay f**kin way.

Sure it may be harder to sell but if you can get it for a good price, you'd probably loose less. You usually pay a premium for some arbitrary numbers.

Comes down to the car too, a 300,000km E30 M3 in good nick is still going to have value, and maybe even easier to sell due to the price.

Unrelated but my pet hate is start stop traffic. Have seen a couple of under 100km milage cars with plastics crumbling from consistantly high engine bay temps.

Unless the engine is running overly rich at idle, I don't see why an engine that has idled for many hours in it's life is particularly bad... This just sounds like an internet myth.

The place is FULL of internet myths.

Open road cars have other issues to town cars... but it seems people are only worried about engines.

My next car, E60 530 with bullet proof M54. Km don't matter when it comes to the older gen M5x, strong sixs these.

But yes starting price with no reserve in sight is a bit steep.