Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

HID lights E36

Hey guys have recently brought hid conversion kits I have since ready they are illegal on nz roads. I have a few questions and keen to see if anybody has some insight

Although im using bosch projector headlight with an hid shroud are they still blinding to other drivers?

Is there away to modify headlights to a legal state?

Has anybody had any problems with or without modification with WOF or police attention?

Any help would be great. Cheers

Quick awnser, you will probably be ok with projector housing with a mask.

The catch-all law unfortunately doesnt cater for this. The law is that HID (xenon) lights can only be fitted to a vehicle that has HIDs fitted to from factory. Can you retrofit, yes. Technically would it need a cert, yes.

I ran aftermarket projector and xenon setup on my old e46. It past every warrent and only got pulled over once for it, but they saw it was projector and were fine about it.

Read all about it here

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

Make sure the shroud is for RHD markets. The shrouding my be LHD if purchased from the USA which would not suit our roads.

Awesome ill see How it goes hid shroud is from tm put hid without a shroud in my dads m3 and hes had no problem

Quick awnser, you will probably be ok with projector housing with a mask.

The catch-all law unfortunately doesnt cater for this. The law is that HID (xenon) lights can only be fitted to a vehicle that has HIDs fitted to from factory. Can you retrofit, yes. Technically would it need a cert, yes.

I ran aftermarket projector and xenon setup on my old e46. It past every warrent and only got pulled over once for it, but they saw it was projector and were fine about it.

Read all about it here

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

No cert needed for a complete HID headlamp retrofit - see note 8 here: http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps, though I don't think and E36 ever came with them anyway, did they?

I fitted a genuine BMW Xenon retrofit kit to our E39 (Included 2 brand new Xenon headlights).

Needs to be a complete hid headlamp assembly, the reflectors are a different shape to suit hid bulbs. I failed a wof after doing a hid conversion because the ballasts were held in with cable ties and that wasnt "factory" even though i had the whole hid headlight units. I took it somewhere else and they gave it a wof.

All depends where you take it. One guy I go to at times says Aslong as the pattern is the same he's fine with hids, He even runs them in his hiace van. But the other place I go to let me away with them for 2 yrs then had a moan and made me take them out. But I've put them in my m3 and fitted them with the shroud and have fitted them so you can't see any additional cabling or the ballasts and they havnt picked up on it since it looks factory. And if they winge il say they were factory on the m3 hahaha

Edited by euroriffic

Yeah been reading up abit looks like theres really no solution other than purpose built headlights. So ill just make sure its not blinding to other road users hide ballasts behind indicators and risk it, or take them out.

Does anybody know the fine for incorrect lighting

My normal wof guy is really good he's not so worried so long as it's safe.

And im willing to risk hopefully a small fine but I will first make sure they aren't blinding to others

Edit: ill get this post updated as soon as I finsh the install ill post some pictures etc of results

Edited by ibboostn

fine is $200 for incorrect headlights. Best thing to do is fit an aftermarket projector made for use with HID

Example is buying a Morimoto FX-R unit and fitting that in your headlight housing

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Czar654321/media/blog/blog4/file-2473.jpg.html

And the fine for blinding another driver & causing an accodent where someone gets hurt?

It's illegal for a reason - its dangerous for other people on the road.

Couldnt find any of the above for e36. What setup do you have alex?

Relax safety is my main concern if they cannot be safely used then I will remove them the issue is that they are retro fit and not certified units

Relax safety is my main concern if they cannot be safely used then I will remove them the issue is that they are retro fit and not certified units

How do you define if they are safe to use? Theres a reason why the ECE regs require the carmaker to have washer systems & auto levelling for HID headlamps - to make sure you aren't blinding other drivers when you put your 2x 120kg mates in the back....

I just have standard Projector headlights but have put a projector shroud around it to make the beam direct and have slightly modified it so its not dangerous to oncoming traffic but much easier to retrofit those projectors + it looks 90% better than standard setup

Hella used to make a e36 specific housing with HID as a complete package with ballast and bulbs. Super expensive back then, good luck finding one. That's the only "legal" way to go about it for a e36.

Yeah there is a set on tm but they so sooo damn ugly

• Like 1

EBay USA sells some modified depo headlights tuned for RHD. Clear cutoff

post-51379-14007593633226.jpg

35w hid's into a halogen projector housing isn't really that bright to be honest.

It is a nice colour though, a patchy colour, since the bulbs have a different light pattern to halogen.

To me, it's not unsafe, you get better bang for buck out of cheap HID's than expensive halogen bulbs, which is why I use them.

However, if you put proper HID Projectors in, they will be one hell of alot better than using halogen ones, due to the fact the reflectors are shaped correctly.

It's illegal because if you stick HID's into a reflector you will get all of the glare ever.

still, ever seen those factory HID's on Jap imports from 2000's? Horrible.

I have factory hids in the 120,self levelling and washers.I am aware at times that I upset other drivers.An example is when you are in the outside lane of a multi lane road.There is a lot of light out to the left,i can see I illuminate the reflectorized signs on the left from miles away albeit with a cutof.

Hids are not safe for other drivers period.

They sure nice to drive behind though,and ultra visible at all times of the day

I've driven behind friends and they don't get too much glare from my HID lights .. not sure about oncoming traffic on open roads with hills and crests, but in those situations, even high beam halogens are blinding enough ..

Straight behind and ahead are the "safest places" its off to the side ,and as you say crests etc.i can see the auto levelling working all the time and everytime you turn the lights on they seem to flip up and down

I have similar issues to Paul , often get the full beam flash from oncoming drivers and the single finger stalute sometimes when passing. The factory e46 has quite a pronounced lift on the left.

However , these are the best headlights I've driven with including some of my older cars with 100 watt spots .

I have similar issues to Paul , often get the full beam flash from oncoming drivers and the single finger stalute sometimes when passing. The factory e46 has quite a pronounced lift on the left.

However , these are the best headlights I've driven with including some of my older cars with 100 watt spots .

Never get flashed,but I can tell people dont like being in front and to the left of me Edited by kiwi535