Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

Mountain Goat Ideas

Yep that's my driveway. It's where the magic happens haha

Also was hard to pass up at the price paid for it. I was ment to buy it a week or so before untill my ute sucked 4l of petrol into the oil sump and blew so much smoke I couldn't see behind and thought I had f**ked it haha

• Like 1

TT RSB was about 5.5 secs, so that seems about right for a healthy single turbo, provided it was manual and not running a td04.

I can't see it happening to be honest, my old E39 540i was low 6's to 100kph (factory claimed) and probably about 6 seconds to 96kph (60mph as quoted on that advert) I can't see how a Subaru Forrestry with 161kw could be quicker than my old E39 by nearly a second to 100kph let alone my E65 which doesn't hang around if you give it the jandal. I'd like to see it do 0-96kph in 5.3 seconds in real life.

Yep that's my driveway. It's where the magic happens haha

Also was hard to pass up at the price paid for it. I was ment to buy it a week or so before untill my ute sucked 4l of petrol into the oil sump and blew so much smoke I couldn't see behind and thought I had f**ked it haha

Isn't that just standard Toyota ownership? There's one around the corner from you that blows a headgasket every week, seals, leg out of bed, yep, weekly.

Toyota's slogans of previous..

"You asked for it you got it" - you're damned right there..

"Oh, what a feeling!" - yep, cold, waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck..

"Moving Forward" - ahahaha, yeah, being towed..

And of course the current one..

"Let's Go Places" (2012–present) - bahahahaha - have you seen the size of Cookies Toyboata workshop and workshop carpark?

Q: Why can't Toyota make a website addressing rumors about their cars going out of control.
A: The website keeps crashing!
This One You Oughta Tow Away

I can't see it happening to be honest, my old E39 540i was low 6's to 100kph (factory claimed) and probably about 6 seconds to 96kph (60mph as quoted on that advert) I can't see how a Subaru Forrestry with 161kw could be quicker than my old E39 by nearly a second to 100kph let alone my E65 which doesn't hang around if you give it the jandal. I'd like to see it do 0-96kph in 5.3 seconds in real life

Yeah, not sure about the forestry claim, but the RSB Was rated to 206kw factory, however had a hybrid primary turbo and some trickery to reduce vod. BD5 is a significantly lighter car than an e39. My RSB was quicker than both e34 540s I've owned.

Yeah, not sure about the forestry claim, but the RSB Was rated to 206kw factory, however had a hybrid primary turbo and some trickery to reduce vod. BD5 is a significantly lighter car than an e39. My RSB was quicker than both e34 540s I've owned.

Yep, an E39 M5 is 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds (same as that advert claims) I can't imagine a Forester keeping up with an M5 lol.. That puts things into context.

That's an American ad, think they could make that claim without being able to back it up or be sued?

Whats with the toyota hate? I drove a 4speed 4k starlet with god knows how many ks all the way from Auckland to Oamaru, the exhaust was half hanging off and it was leaking water... Also have put a brick on the accelerator of an old 1200cc 3k? Parts car and it ran out of gas before it blew up...

Edited by pldubs

I can't see it happening to be honest, my old E39 540i was low 6's to 100kph (factory claimed) and probably about 6 seconds to 96kph (60mph as quoted on that advert) I can't see how a Subaru Forrestry with 161kw could be quicker than my old E39 by nearly a second to 100kph let alone my E65 which doesn't hang around if you give it the jandal. I'd like to see it do 0-96kph in 5.3 seconds in real life.

http://my350z.com/forum/other-vehicles/54805-i-have-been-humiliated-by-my-friends-subaru-forester-xt.html

An E39 540i isn't geared for hard acceleration - it has loooooooooooong gears that it spends a fair amount of time pulling through, because of the immense torque.

The Forester is geared much shorter, and has the advantage of AWD... plus when Car and Driver did the acceleration test, they probably weren't kind to the car! Plus the turbo gives it a much better power/torque curve shape than a 540i - it'll appear much less peaky.

Put a short diff in an E30 325i and see how awesome the acceleration gets, and it's not even turbo charged.

• Like 1

Gearing, gearing, gearing!!!

My Legnum VR4 would thrash my 540i up to about 100 kph, then run out of poke, the 540 goes all the way to 250. Roughly the same amount of power just put down very differently.

• Like 1

For the money and if you want awd for winter sports you can't go past a legnum vr4. Gearboxes are the same as the equivalent Evo of the year which is quite strong and the smallish twin turbo system a 2.5l means a lot of torque.

They can be had for very cheap just got to shop around for one which has been well maintained. The engine bay is awfully cramped.

Lots of space for your gear too. They are fairly thirsty though and because of the fairly small turbos they will run out of puff at high rpm. Some of the later models had the ayc diff I think? Which was helpful for getting power down if its slippery but also came with some problems if you got the Evo 4 ayc.

Looks like this discussion is mostly dead though!!

In Subaru's defense the 3l flat 6 engine is great and the 2005+ models are great to drive. I hear their awd system is quite good for grip .. Of course the awd bias might not be the ideal if you want to go fast fast but they do very well if you want sensible traction. There was some comparison between various awd systems of that year awd wagons and the Subaru placed quite well amongst Euros etc. I think the test was how far up a increasing snowy slope you could get ..

• Like 1

Subaru Crossover Challenge - The Ramp:

notice that all four apart from the subaru started off already half way up the ramp stationary, the subaru was already moving.

not ragging on subaru though. Haven't had one, but they are cool cars. I'm surprised i haven't owned one already really

The Forester is faster to 100kph that a E39 540i. Owned both at the same time.

Whats with the toyota hate? I drove a 4speed 4k starlet with god knows how many ks all the way from Auckland to Oamaru, the exhaust was half hanging off and it was leaking water... Also have put a brick on the accelerator of an old 1200cc 3k? Parts car and it ran out of gas before it blew up...

Sorry mate, probably a personal joke between Justin, Mike and I. But realistically I think that most Toyotas over the year 2000 are over rated sacks do turds. If I was in the market for those kind of cars I'd personally go Kia.

• Like 2

If I was in the market for those kind of cars I'd personally go Kia.

Kia have come one hell of a long way! I remember driving around in a mid 90s Kia when i was in the USA in early 2000s (i wasn't driving lol, too young) but remember all the swear words etc!!

But they are bloody nice cars now!

By the way, if anyone is looking or family looking etc at buying a new Kia, PM Kerry BMpower, he will be able to sort you out NZ Wide

http://bimmersport.co.nz/user/1740-bmpower/

THe majority of galants and legnum VR4s had AYC, and its was very troublesome due to people not servicing them. There were a few models that had open, mechanical diffs, but they arent common.

The manual VR4 is OK. Heavy, thirsty and the AWD system isnt too great. i certainly wouldnt pick one over a turbo subaru. The auto VR4s have terrible autos that have a reputation for spontaneous failure.

I owned a galant VR4 (same shape as legnum but sedan), in the best possible model (turbo, manual, recaro interior, non-ayc) and it was fast, but handled badly, drank oil, smoked and was a POS.

• Like 1

THe majority of galants and legnum VR4s had AYC, and its was very troublesome due to people not servicing them. There were a few models that had open, mechanical diffs, but they arent common.

The manual VR4 is OK. Heavy, thirsty and the AWD system isnt too great. i certainly wouldnt pick one over a turbo subaru. The auto VR4s have terrible autos that have a reputation for spontaneous failure.

I owned a galant VR4 (same shape as legnum but sedan), in the best possible model (turbo, manual, recaro interior, non-ayc) and it was fast, but handled badly, drank oil, smoked and was a POS.

my ex's family had one, i was impressed with its speed etc but yep handling my E30 at the time was better. was a manual twin turbo iirc

Kia have come one hell of a long way! I remember driving around in a mid 90s Kia when i was in the USA in early 2000s (i wasn't driving lol, too young) but remember all the swear words etc!!

But they are bloody nice cars now!

By the way, if anyone is looking or family looking etc at buying a new Kia, PM Kerry BMpower, he will be able to sort you out NZ Wide

http://bimmersport.co.nz/user/1740-bmpower/

Yeah, we had a 09 Rio diesel 1500 turbo and it was nothing short of brilliant, dam that thing went well, same as the grandfathers 2011 Sportage.

The servicing requirements were a full oil change (3 different fluids in the ayc diff) every 7000km!! You might not have had problems, but it probably wasnt working like it should have been!

Sorry mate, probably a personal joke between Justin, Mike and I. But realistically I think that most Toyotas over the year 2000 are over rated sacks do turds. If I was in the market for those kind of cars I'd personally go Kia.

Yea you're not wrong there! But to be fair his aurion is a nice car. But like you said alot of their stuff is over rated now for the money you have to pay for it compared to the stuff Kia and the likes are banging out. They're just riding the coat tails of the good old bullet proof 80s/90s stuff they used to do

Edited by euroriffic

Except for the new 86.

Its what a car should be. Fun cheap basic and very modifiable

Except for the new 86.

Its what a car should be. Fun cheap basic and very modifiable

And it's not really a Toyota...

Toybaru then. Doesnt change that its good. Its the e30 of today

lol toybaru.. but yea its only developed by toyota and subaru but manufactured by subaru.. it has a boxer engine so must be a subi...

Developed by engineers > developed by accountants