Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Thinking of selling my V8 E36

Hey guys

Im considering a new project as of late, this has got me thinking of what I could expect to achieve if I was to put my car up for sale.

A quick run down of key features:

M3 front suspension and brakes

Rebuild 328i rear suspension

LSD diff 3.64

5 speed tiptronic auto, with smg steering wheel controls.

Black leather interior, very tidy with new roof liner

V8 has had major service of main parts, timing belt, water pump and related bearings, nee alternator, running 150rwkw

Runs a vacuum controlled Aston martin rear exhaust box etc.

Thoughts?

I recall another E36 coupe with the 1UZ on Tardme 12 (?) months ago, seller was asking around 12k from memory. Certified (as is yours) but I don't know if it ever sold. It was a fairly basic conversion, don't recall if it was manual or auto, cloth interior etc.

I suspect most of us on here would think 10-13k a reasonable sum given the tiptronic auto, LSD, M3 running gear etc enhancements you've made but I reckon you'll end up with a bunch of offers from backwards cap wearing tards wanting to make a deal with 6 large and some crapped out POS turbo with mean chromies and uncerted coilovers.

Unfortunately with a car like this you'll never come close to realising the build cost, but I think 12k would probably sell it.

Good luck, looking forward to discovering what's next in the pipeline! :)

• Like 1

backwards cap wearing tards wanting to make a deal with 6 large and some crapped out POS turbo with mean chromies and uncerted coilovers.

Unfortunately with a car like this you'll never come close to realising the build cost, but I think 12k would probably sell it.

Good luck, looking forward to discovering what's next in the pipeline! :)

:D So much win. :D

Although I never fit into that above "group" and dress modestly well, I would start around 8K minimum. Still curious how much would he let it go for anyway.

What happened to "I will never sell this car", Mike?

Well the alternative is to part it out completely. I think that could yield the same sort of return if I was to sell the car whole.

Just not happy with the E36 chassis as of late.

I'll no doubt change my mind though!

What about all those Chassis bits you can buy from Turner Motorsport?

Ie like: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1361-e36-3-series-complete-turner-motorsport-reinforcement-package.aspx

Already done all those :)

When I say chassis, I guess I just don't like the way it rides, while it handles quite well because of its 1300-1400kg weight, it still feels a bit flimsy over the rough stuff, harder suspension will do that I guess, perhaps it would be better suited to the track.

I find driving a well sorted 5 series or 3 series e46 it tends to show up the age of the E36 chassis and the era it came from. Not to say it's bad I'm just really fussy and a bit OCD.

56.gif

sounds like you need a 540i (or a 550i lol)

Haha, I'm thinking no BMWs next time.

If I part the car out, who wants to buy the E36-1UZ conversion kit for their own project? Haha, includes:

• Engine mounts and brackets on OEM E36 subframe
  • Gearbox mount (suits auto, or manual with minor changes)
  • Toyota drive-shaft to BMW shaft suiting 4 or 5 speed Toyota Auto (manual would require new half shaft)
  • Custom 4-2-1 headers with HPC coating
  • Dual stainless 2.25" exhaust with H pipe, magnalfow HF cats and mid mufflers to dual flanges at diff area (excludes rear box)

Any hands on car person could do the rest of the work easily enough with those key parts that are very time consuming to make nicely :P

i wonder if it would work in a compact, i am picking up a compact tomorrow with a cooked engine

Would like to see what sort of buyers this would attract.

• Like 1

i wonder if it would work in a compact, i am picking up a compact tomorrow with a cooked engine

Do it!!!

Could work in a compact or any e36 based car, they are all rather similar at the front end. Couldn't guarantee though :P

Not sure what all those parts would be worth. I know what they owe me roughly + time. :P

Depending on what kind of price you would b after. Could be keen!

Haha, I'm thinking no BMWs next time.

If I part the car out, who wants to buy the E36-1UZ conversion kit for their own project? Haha, includes:

• Engine mounts and brackets on OEM E36 subframe
  • Gearbox mount (suits auto, or manual with minor changes)
  • Toyota drive-shaft to BMW shaft suiting 4 or 5 speed Toyota Auto (manual would require new half shaft)
  • Custom 4-2-1 headers with HPC coating
  • Dual stainless 2.25" exhaust with H pipe, magnalfow HF cats and mid mufflers to dual flanges at diff area (excludes rear box)

Any hands on car person could do the rest of the work easily enough with those key parts that are very time consuming to make nicely :P

Haha, how much would you consider for such parts?

With such items, theres obviously the material costs, but also development costs and fabrication time to consider.

This is what you would get:

Not pictured:

1x Power Steering high pressure line,

1x driveshaft parts suited for automatic.

1x Subframe with engine mounts and brackets:

post-6193-0-29514000-1402135794.jpg

post-6193-0-53604600-1402135806.jpg

1x 10mm gearbox mount setup for auto trans mount.

post-6193-0-03975100-1402135869.jpg

Custom 4-2-1 1.5" primary headers, 4.00mm thick walls, with HPC coating.

post-6193-0-05556600-1402135896.jpg

post-6193-0-63784500-1402135948_thumb.jp

Custom 2.25" stainless mid section to axle, H pipe, Magnflow cats, magnaflow mid muflers, no rear box.

post-6193-0-63533100-1402136019.jpg

All of the above was derived through CAD development.

post-6193-0-19877900-1402136246.jpg

It's something to think about, I was looking to turbo an m50 or fit an S50b30 5-8k? A downfall IMO (what i would be considering) is the auto setup, manual conversion is still expensive for the 1uz if this was a manual setup similar figure as above?

I don't think he's including the motor or auto. Just the parts to make it a bolt in or near bolt in swap. I.E. The hard part. Looking at the design of the trans mount would be a doddle to convert for another box.

• Like 1

Oh right. Michael was there a certain type of 1uz used in this conversion? Did you modifiy the sump to suit?

This would be awesome! Ive always wanted to put a V8 in my compact but I have an annoying thing about keeping it a BMW engine tho. A Toyota V8 would be an awesome choice so you should def do it! And from my experience the compact E36 is exactly the same engine bay wise as a standard e36.

Would caging the bastard fix the wobbly chassis? Almost seems like a logical next step considering all the work you have done to it.