Sign in to follow this  
RobD

New Zealand Roads

Sh1 between peka peka and te horo. At the end of the passing lane (merge point), some inept contractor had attempted a repair to the road surface apparently by means of dumping a load of hotmix and spreading it around with a shovel. It's so bad, that even in the e39 I brace myself at 90 clicks. It's been like that for at least two years now, and the kicker? The preceeding 400m of road was re sealed this summer.

Sh1 between peka peka and te horo. At the end of the passing lane (merge point), some inept contractor had attempted a repair to the road surface apparently by means of dumping a load of hotmix and spreading it around with a shovel. It's so bad, that even in the e39 I brace myself at 90 clicks. It's been like that for at least two years now, and the kicker? The preceeding 400m of road was re sealed this summer.

I don't understand how hard it can be to pour some stuff on a road and roll over it to make it flat.

I don't understand how hard it can be to pour some stuff on a road and roll over it to make it flat.

You would think when there's 10 guys there it wouldn't be too hard.

1 guy in the roller, 1 guy out with his shovel, 1 guy spraying water, 2 guys standing there watching them then another 5 guys chilling in a truck across the road having a smoke.

• Like 2

I can still not get over the fact that hamilton doesnt have a single man hole cover flush with the road. All are either raised or sunken. And they always put them in the main wheel tracks.

Road works is one of the last trye manual jobs. Everything else has become more efficient and manchine reliant but truth of the matter is every roading prohect takes thousands of man hours and every time minimum wage goes up it costs more.

We cant afford to have good roads when we are paying f**kwits $30+ an hour to stand around.

Man hole cover on my street is a good 5cm below road level. Right in the left wheel track, and immediately after braking point. Does my head in.

It's a given that first time round they'll screw it up. But to then not fix it, especially when they are already working on the same section of road is negligent at best and criminal at worst. It's like driving in a mag 7+ earthquake.

It's a given that first time round they'll screw it up. But to then not fix it, especially when they are already working on the same section of road is negligent at best and criminal at worst. It's like driving in a mag 7+ earthquake.

I wonder if it's the old 'she'll be right, you just have to harden up mate - and drive a Holden' type of attitude. Because it's more important to get to the tavern by 5pm than it is to do a good job and show a bit of care to what you're supposed to be doing.

France has only a small population to pay for their roads. Only 70 million odd people.

I have driven in about 20 plus countries and NZ roads are on a par with many of them. Much better than Russia, Poland and a few others and worse than Germany but overall pretty bloody good.

Why the hell are people worried about the fences at the roadside. Don't you people drive on the road. Every time I try to drive on those fences or even walk along them I fall off.

If you look where you are going you should see the undulations and holes in the road and avoid them. Might be time you talk less and look more. I haven't seen a bunch of whingers like this for ages.

This thread needs pics of the worst road you personally have seen.

Ill wager that my street is the worst for bumps/offcamber/badlighting/manholecovers Pics incoming hahaha

ONLY 1 RULE, noone from CHCH can post pics cause natural disaster gave you an edge on the competition....

France has only a small population to pay for their roads. Only 70 million odd people.

I have driven in about 20 plus countries and NZ roads are on a par with many of them. Much better than Russia, Poland and a few others and worse than Germany but overall pretty bloody good.

Why the hell are people worried about the fences at the roadside. Don't you people drive on the road. Every time I try to drive on those fences or even walk along them I fall off.

If you look where you are going you should see the undulations and holes in the road and avoid them. Might be time you talk less and look more. I haven't seen a bunch of whingers like this for ages.

It's called expressing an opinion and inviting comments. In saying "if you look where you are going you should see the undulations and holes in the road and avoid them" you are more or less adopting the very attitude that has been alluded to above, i.e. that we should just accept sh*tty roads and get on with it. No one here is expecting every km of our road network to be billiard table smooth - but the consensus does seem to be that our roads are not much better than farm tracks with a bit of bitumen splattered on top. People on this site are driving enthusiasts, so suggesting that they aren't focused on the task at hand when behind the wheel is utter nonsense. How on earth would people notice the state of the roads and thus comment on them if they weren't watching the road surface closely!!?? If you don't like the thread then why not go and add a valueless comment elsewhere.

• Like 2

This thread needs pics of the worst road you personally have seen.

Ill wager that my street is the worst for bumps/offcamber/badlighting/manholecovers Pics incoming hahaha

ONLY 1 RULE, noone from CHCH can post pics cause natural disaster gave you an edge on the competition....

C'mon! I promise I won't send the worst ones.

• Like 1

C'mon! I promise I won't send the worst ones.

I think everyone should carry a can of bright yellow roadmarking spraypaint in their car. Every time you see a chassis cracking pothole, stop, and leave a polite message for the NZ Transport Authority sprayed all over the road. I'll leave it to everyone's imagination as to what those messages might say.

• Like 3

You travel approx 28meters per second travelling at 100km.

In the dark, on rural roads, esp on blind corners where you either can't shift over to avoid that pothole or you could present yourself in a head on, or you don't know that there is a hole behind that corner, well it ain't all easy. Or there could be a car in front preventing that awesome 12 second vision were meant to use out on open roads...

I shall post pictures of my road - there is a good reason I don't tend to have visitors, I have to go see them...

• Like 2

I think everyone should carry a can of bright yellow roadmarking spraypaint in their car. Every time you see a chassis cracking pothole, stop, and leave a polite message for the NZ Transport Authority sprayed all over the road. I'll leave it to everyone's imagination as to what those messages might say.

Here in Christchurch we just stick road cones in the holes, sometimes more than one.

• Like 3

Bad roading caused my workmate to roll one of our vans 3 times because the inside of a corner had falling away just enough so as he was coming round a blind corner didn't see it till the last second, caught the front wheel which pulled in into the ditch causing it to roll. Now the police are trying to do him for careless driving. How is that fair !!

Usually such cases they say if tge road is good i side the white lines its his fault. Same as if you get a broken wheel from a pothole outside the white line its not their fault.

Strangly one of the best condition roads ive driven lately was the forgotten highway. Well maintained. Nicely repaired and even the dirt sections and evenly graded

I think everyone should carry a can of bright yellow roadmarking spraypaint in their car.  Every time you see a chassis cracking pothole, stop, and leave a polite message for the NZ Transport Authority sprayed all over the road.  I'll leave it to everyone's imagination as to what those messages might say. 

Haha good idea .. Spray stripes in the 50m leading up to the pothole (if its a 100 zone )

Usually such cases they say if tge road is good i side the white lines its his fault. Same as if you get a broken wheel from a pothole outside the white line its not their fault.Strangly one of the best condition roads ive driven lately was the forgotten highway. Well maintained. Nicely repaired and even the dirt sections and evenly graded

Most our back roads don't have a white line on the sides, that costs too much ya see, so they use those savings to spend on aucklands roads I'm sure

Edited by euroriffic
  • Like 1

I have never come close to crashing due to the condition of the road. Any of the remotely hairy situations I have been in are either my own or someone elses doing.

If you're on a sh*t road drive as though you are.

NZ drivers are much more dangerous and frustrating than the roads.

I have never come close to crashing due to the condition of the road. Any of the remotely hairy situations I have been in are either my own or someone elses doing.

If you're on a sh*t road drive as though you are.

NZ drivers are much more dangerous and frustrating than the roads.

Foreign drivers are 10,000x more dangerous than the roads you mean. I drive through central otago atleast 12 times a year and Rented vehicles / Motorhomes are deadly at best.

Down here you have to expect a giant pothole, rut, sudden change of camber, cow, sheep, tractor, stock truck, horse or manhole cover. The problems start when all 9 of these factors come into play at once AND its just started to snow. North Island roads are a cake walk.

• Like 1

Roadworkers pulling up to tinny houses in their trucks probably has a lot to do with the quality of the repairs....

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

been there done that ... like 3pedals preaches manuals. If you run low profile, get proper forged and spun wheels. No problems.

Last night I watched "The Moaning of Life" about a moaning pom who travels around the world to moan. This thread is indistinguishable from that. Except he's at least funny.

• Like 1

I hope thats a real show. I want it.

Anyone watch grumpy old men. That was crack up