Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e34 525tds touring

lol I use to see that at Paknsave all the time haha.

Omg buy it sanch/Clinton/tyler

Me too!
No WoF, or rego. In Otago. $2k... Hmm.

Genuine question, why do people wet themselves over old diesels like this? I understand its cheap and its a wagon, but surely a petrol one would be better than an old tractor lump?

Genuine question, why do people wet themselves over old diesels like this? I understand its cheap and its a wagon, but surely a petrol one would be better than an old tractor lump?

It's that 30-60,000km a year I do.

The 320d is lovely, but has on several occasions proven to be just a teensy bit small to carry some things.

And while it is completely the wrong reason to buy a specific car, the 525 does have a towbar which our 320 doesn't. (I know - cheaper to buy a towbar!)

For anyone who is wondering (not many, I realise) the 320d makes more power than a stock 525td.

For those KM though, due to RUC, does it work out much cheaper at all to run a diesel over a modern petrol?

A guy over on the KiwiBiker forums wrote this spreadsheet. (I hope the link works - you should be able to download it.)

I did one too a while ago, but can't quickly find it now. I fudged some numbers in favour of a petrol engine, but retained the diesel's better fuel economy, and break-even came out around 12000km. After that, the diesel was more economical to run (even after factoring in more regular oil changes).

New petrol cars are very much more economical, but carry a much, much higher price tag, freefall depreciation, and typically higher servicing costs. Comparing a couple of E34s, one with a M50B25 and one with the M51B25 (25mpg vs 37mpg) and the diesel is a clear (economy) winner.

Unfortunately the BMW diesels aren't quite as strong as the Mercedes ones. 400bhp from a 5-cylinder Mercedes running stock internals, but a modified lift pump, big turbo and intercooler? The M51 is good for 250 or so, but 400 would see it going pop fairly quickly unless significant internal work is done..

Gotcha, that spreadsheet is pretty awesome. So over a long period of distance, provided that the diesel is more economical than the petrol, it will work out to be cheaper to run.

Time to roll some coal.

Gotcha, that spreadsheet is pretty awesome. So over a long period of distance, provided that the diesel is more economical than the petrol, it will work out to be cheaper to run.

Time to roll some coal.

Yup.

Over less than certainly 12000km, possibly more, I'd stick to petrol. But for now, it's 50km each way for work, and that could become 60km (each way) before long. Less than I was doing, but still definitely oil-burning economy territory.

well. I am doing 66kms (round trip) a day and it is still well within economic reason to get a diesel. Your Miles would definitely be over and above that, Graham. if only that 525td (e39) was still parked up on Blockhouse Bay road.

well. I am doing 66kms (round trip) a day and it is still well within economic reason to get a diesel. Your Miles would definitely be over and above that, Graham. if only that 525td (e39) was still parked up on Blockhouse Bay road.

Aye... Whether it is this one, or another, there is a diesel estate (wagon) in our future. The perfect car is a 530d M, but they are few and far between. And besides, I prefer the older cars. The advertiser of this one makes a good point (imho) on the benefits of simplicity.

A Mercedes W124 300D would suit well too, but there seem even less of these around. Or at least, fewer for sale.

Who do we know in Dunedin?

Me, antil33t, pldubs, diesel guy

Me, antil33t, pldubs, diesel guy

Ooh!

<ahem> Pretty please... Does anyone feel inclined to take a look? From what I can see the paintwork has seen better days, but the seller has taken some time at least to see what what need doing. The question has to be whether or not he's seen or commented on everything...

It has no WoF or rego so I'm either going to be indebted to someone down south for a long time, or I'll be into shipping to get it back this way.

i want it because its different and different is cool

i want it because its different and different is cool

I like that too, and often it's enough.

This time, it's different and therefore cool, but also practical, economical, and has the opportunity to provide fun.

What more could anyone ask for?

Isn't the 525d lump a REAL lump?

I thought they were hungry slow POS's?

Certainly nothing like the 320d at least!

The UK guys talk about the E39 525TDS (in the early E39's - prior to the 525d and 530d) being a dog.

Isn't the 525d lump a REAL lump?

I thought they were hungry slow POS's?

Certainly nothing like the 320d at least!

The UK guys talk about the E39 525TDS (in the early E39's - prior to the 525d and 530d) being a dog.

The engine in the 525tds, the M51D25 OL, makes a maximum of 141hp and 280Nm. The M47TUD20 makes 150hp and 330Nm. Both will easily tune, with provisos. The M51 cylinder head needs special attention to keep it cool or it cracks, but it's generally good for ~250hp before reliability and economy start to suffer too much. They'll go to 400hp (big turbo, injectors, huge intercooler), but the economy is then down to the same as a stock petrol 2.5 and the head may not be happy for long. Still, not too shabby.

The M47 goes to 200hp with a pipe and remap. Add a hybrid turbo and you can have 250. Apparently 300hp (from a 2-litre diesel!) is possible with suitable hybrid turbo, intercooler, injectors, pump(s), pipe and custom remap.

The problem (for me) is price. And availability. The 525td is comparatively common - later, 5-series Tourings with a decent diesel engine just don't come up for sale at a price I can consider at the moment. So the 525td is (relatively) a slug, but it'll run forever if looked after, and tow pretty well. It just takes a little longer to get up to the maximum NZ-usable speed of 100km/h.

My old man has a P38 Range Rover with the M51. The weight combined with the turbo lag means its slow off the line but goes ok otherwise and is a good work horse.. Im sure a good tune and probably a better turbo would give it that kick up the ass.

My old man has a P38 Range Rover with the M51. The weight combined with the turbo lag means its slow off the line but goes ok otherwise and is a good work horse.. Im sure a good tune and probably a better turbo would give it that kick up the ass.

It's true, The P38 + M51 + uphill + full throttle = ... nothing. Or, at least, very little. I think Top Gear made a big deal of this.

Fortunately I'll be happy if it holds 100km/h up Bombay hills with a several km run up. :-)

• Like 1

Ooh!

<ahem> Pretty please... Does anyone feel inclined to take a look? From what I can see the paintwork has seen better days, but the seller has taken some time at least to see what what need doing. The question has to be whether or not he's seen or commented on everything...

It has no WoF or rego so I'm either going to be indebted to someone down south for a long time, or I'll be into shipping to get it back this way.

Yea three of us wil be keen to take a look for ya. I know if Clinton saw it he'd buy it haha!

Yea three of us wil be keen to take a look for ya. I know if Clinton saw it he'd buy it haha!

In the interests of fair play - if Clinton is keen, he should have it. $1750 should cover the buy. He's on the scene, I'm not.

However... And assuming you've spoken to the other two (or three!?) people involved, please take a good, long look. Regardless of what happens, I'll cover any expenses. Including a beer afterwards to discuss how that silly person from north of Hamilton could be interested in a car in Dunedin...

Yea no worries, will try sort something for tomorrow

• Like 1

Yea no worries, will try sort something for tomorrow

Ta. ^_^