Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

The modern classic M3 (not the E30!)

Looking for people's opinions here, which of these will go down as the most valued M3, will it be:

1. The E46 M3 CSL. A car beloved by all who have driven it, brought down only by it's SMG gearbox. I know this is already considered a future classic, but to me future classics will be NA and have manual gearboxes.

2. The E46 M3 CS. Like the CSL but without the SMG, and some of the best bits (like the carbon airbox). Will this car become appreciated almost as much as the CSL with a manual? I know Evo magazine rate it.

3. The E92 M3. The last NA M3 and with a stonking NA V8, but somehow doesn't get nearly as much love as the CSL.

Definately E46 M3. not the most powerful at its time etc, just built for a purpose, and not worried about Audi and Mercedes were doing, or the environment for that matter. The E92 you get the feeling they were made while looking over thier sholder at the other guys.

• Like 1

E46 M3 CSL most definitely...arguably the single greatest thing bmw has ever rolled out.

(On my second M3, it's one of the 275 M3 CS's made and it's a most definitely a mile ahead of the normal E46 M3, however the CSL is and was legendary)

totally agree with Andy on the E9X M3, I've spent many many hours driving it, unfortunately it falls flat on its face and gets mauled by the RS4 and C63 AMG.

• Like 1

That sure was some mauling and falling flat on their face.

• Like 1

You might like to look at this video from Top Gear.

Watched it years ago. First hand experience of every respective car would count far more than a top gear video geared towards entertainment purposes for the audience.
  • Like 1

That sure was some mauling and falling flat on their face.

I take it you have spent a fair period of time driving each applicable car..and it's just a matter of choice really.

In really life it is an absolute mauling (just from first hand experience).

I don't necessarily mean any disrespect against you or the E9x M3 I am just lucky to have spent a fair amount of time (a couple of months) with each car and unfortunately the real world isn't a race track ..and the competition mauls the underpowered E9x M3.

Also forgot to add a slightly tuned 335i (n54 motor) gives the E9x m3 a good run for it's money.

Each to their own sir :)

Edited by DSCOFF
  • Like 1

I'm a bit biased on this one so shouldn't have any voting rights. (Only if it's a SMG version thought ;-) )

Mind you , the sound of that V8 in the E92. Will be interesting to see if the "GTS" version gets "CSL" status in the future.

The CS never had the CSL airbox.

Sorry the writing might be a bit vague but I said it doesn't have the SMG box (if you get a manual CS) and some other things like the airbox, not that it does have that.

I understand that on the road people might think the E92 lacks a bit down low but that doesn't bother me, I like engines that are all top end :).

I think the GTS definitely will, sadly they are very hard to source unless I tried to get one in Germany and very expensive!

Driven all, including the e92 m3 then CSL right afterwards on the back roads of whitford.

CSL hands down.

• Like 2

I have owned an E92 for 5 years and driven about 30,000km from new. I have never heard anyone ever say that the E92 lacks a bit down low without them having their hands down the front of their trousers. I had to laugh about the comments about first hand experience being different to the entertainment of Top gear. I was highly entertained by the fact that the Merc and the Audi got their arses well and truly kicked.

• Like 2

I do admit the AMG CL5 I drove the other day is faster but then again it is 5 years newer. It chews gas much faster than my M3 and 23 litres per 100 km is not that economical.

I have owned an E92 for 5 years and driven about 30,000km from new. I have never heard anyone ever say that the E92 lacks a bit down low without them having their hands down the front of their trousers. I had to laugh about the comments about first hand experience being different to the entertainment of Top gear. I was highly entertained by the fact that the Merc and the Audi got their arses well and truly kicked.

Lol.. don't need to get 'hurt' from a mere discussion mate.

Everyone's opinions differ, it's human nature. I've never known anybody to use top gear videos as a form of analysis without having their 'hands in their trousers' as you say, maybe it's your 'thing'.

Comparatively to the competition it lacks down low. I'd driven e92 and e90 m3s from brand new many times, it's an okay car not bmws finest hour but maybe if you spend major time with the competition you'd gain a better understanding.

Edit:

May I add, I hope you enjoy your E92 M3, if it's amazing to you, then it's all that matters.

Edited by DSCOFF

I'm a bit biased on this one so shouldn't have any voting rights. (Only if it's a SMG version thought ;-) )

Mind you , the sound of that V8 in the E92. Will be interesting to see if the "GTS" version gets "CSL" status in the future.

Excellent point! That E92 M3 GTS looks to be brilliant.. surely go down as something amazing maybe not CSL-esque but very close I'd say.

Edited by DSCOFF

Lol.. don't need to get 'hurt' from a mere discussion mate.

Everyone's opinions differ, it's human nature. I've never known anybody to use top gear videos as a form of analysis without having their 'hands in their trousers' as you say, maybe it's your 'thing'.

Comparatively to the competition it lacks down low. I'd driven e92 and e90 m3s from brand new many times, it's an okay car not bmws finest hour but maybe if you spend major time with the competition you'd gain a better understanding.

Edit:

May I add, I hope you enjoy your E92 M3, if it's amazing to you, then it's all that matters.If your analys

If your analysis of car performance is as inaccurate as your reading skills I can see why you think the E92 M3 is just an OK car.

• Like 1

Sorry the writing might be a bit vague but I said it doesn't have the SMG box (if you get a manual CS) and some other things like the airbox, not that it does have that.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry!

1. E46 CSL hands down, pity about the (albeit awesome) SMG.

Then, simply because they work on driver input rather than computer input:

2. E30 M3

3. E36 M3 (manual) - yes I'm biased ;)

4. E46 M3 (manual)

The more recent vehicles are balls-out for sure but they have too much power and rely on computers to drive. That's not cool, anyone with money can drive them fast.

No.3 isn't even in the poster's original list so surely doesn't count :P:P:P:P:P (actually I am like you and I have a soft spot for the E36 M3s .... If I was to have one however, I'd have to have the AC Schnitzer CLS version ... or a clone of one)

As for the SMG thing ... I've yet to have anyone come off a ride with me on the track that said "shame about the SMG" - in fact more say to me "I see why they made this car SMG". Ray can also chime in, as his converted SMG car to the CSL system has apparently been winning quite a lot of owners over and many are lining up to have the upgrade done - "night and day differences" just about describes it. Also I recall Mike Eady telling me after driving my car around the track that the system made such a difference to the way the car communicated to the driver over the standard 3 pedal (and this was right after he just did training with someone in a Seat Cup race car with paddle shift) - he promptly commented that the SMG was more racecar feel than the Seat Cup racecar system - and I am more inclined to agree with a multiple winning racecar driver on how a racecar feels over anyone else.

My opinion probably doesn't matter much as it's obviously biased!!

However, if imitation's the highest form of flattery and an indication of desirability, then it probably doesn't take a genius to decide purely on popularity at least which is considered by the enthusiasts to be the most cherished model.

Having said that however, I do believe that the M3 GTS is often overlooked to be the ultimate BMW M3 - BMW M basically gave it what the CSL owners (back in 2003) were moaning about the CSL lacked ... proper seats, cage, harness, adjustable suspension and proper brakes and real downforce ... yet when they made one, everyone moaned again that it was "too aftermarket". It's no wonder that BMW M have finally gone and decided "screw you enthusiasts" .. we are just going to make what makes money from now on. We only have ourselves to blame for the crap M's that have been coming out in recent time.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2

I loath to even chime with an SMG defense post, but it's just so painful reading comments form people that obviously don't really know.

If you don't have the bank to fix an SMG pump, then an M3 is probably not the car for you. That 'risk' aside, I would take (a 'CSL flashed') SMG all day, every day. (And I have only ever had 3 pedal cars before).

CSL is the clear collector choice.

The CS is cool, but will never have real collector value IMO.

• Like 1

A manual, E46 M3 on 18 inch rims with leather, air con and the standard radio, will be worth a fortune in the future.

Tom took me around Puke in his CSL. Loved it. But my god is it different to a stock M3.

Zero interest in the E46 M3 unless it was a CSL. I find them very lackluster.

But I bet people said that about the E30 M3 and if it wasn't an Evo.

• Like 1