Sign in to follow this  
allan

UK M3

Off to a weeding in Tauranga next week, best I be packing the sterilisation gear and my Go-Pro's.

Horses for courses.

My dad's brand new Audi A8 front end was showing signs of rust after 3 years parked directly across from the beach.

Every car is different. Yes there have been some horror stories but nothing a good reliable check wouldn't uncover.

It's all down to getting the experts to check the car before the purchase. Only more important the older and higher km the car is.

True. Get in on a hoist if you can and have a good look at everything, even get at a few bolts with a spanner to check they move freely.

Honestly, you would puke at some of the sh*t that is coming in, trucks and cars! Its not just from the UK either, have seen a few Jap cars with the same problems, seemingly mint cars that are rotting.

.......it was months before he noticed the corrosion on his shock absorber .....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey it's tauranga you have to watch out for now :P

Really? That is surprising, I didn't know OAPs liked putting it about that much... you live and learn.

Sorry Graham, the "I had a mate" bit wasn't aimed at you, it was a reference to the old-fashioned type of statements that used to be made in the pub over a beer rather than on the internet.

There's also Chinese sh!t that is coming in brand new with corrosion issues, but that's a whole nother thread / stereo-type to be done.

There's also Chinese sh!t that is coming in brand new with corrosion issues, but that's a whole nother thread / stereo-type to be done.

Let alone the Ford Rangers with chassis rust...

At the end of the day any secondhand UK import you buy in New Zealand should be rust free anyway. If it wasn't it wouldn't get complied. If it does have some rust it would have to be repaired before it complies.

So unless it's a parts car or has rusted in NZ, the UK imports should be rust free.

To my way of thinking anyway.

Structural rust, yes, surface rust no. Many people don't distinguish between the two.

Can we stop talking about rust now please??

I am just going to leave these photos here ... these came out of a "low mileage" M3 CSL from the UK - the shocks still work perfectly, but I wouldn't put them in the car except for some LOL'd (I had to smash the top mounts off the rear shocks as the rust was so bad it had fused to the shock shaft)

IMAG5535_zps6nznicqn.jpg

IMAG5536_zpsdx4bxwcy.jpg

I've also seen a CSL from the UK with virtually delivery KM but driven through one winter ... and it already had rusts on exhaust flanges, mounts and anything that was alloy, mild steel and exposed beneath the car..

Moral of the story, check each car out thoroughly!!!

Edited by M3_Power

to be fair tom all that requires is media blasting and a repaint and it will be right as rain. you could even fill the pitting if needed.

This is a before and after of my brake booster.

Before & after

2mfhmap.jpg

vhgqcl.jpg

The spears on those shocks are f**ked from the corrosion though. Its not just a paint job.

My E34 is a UK import too, might be why it hasnt sold lol