It is if you don't have 70k.

But yes. Tell em they'r dreamin.

• Like 3

It is if you don't have 70k.

But yes. Tell em they'r dreamin.

For 10k less.. you could get one with 27ks

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-857825666.htm

Guess age matters though.

or even better, for a mere margin more, you could just go for this! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-850730203.htm

I'm sure the finance company would approve.

Before I purchased my E90 M3 I got a UK import version checked out. Would stay away from UK imports unless they are pretty much brand new. The corrosion due to salt use on the roads was all over different components. Even the top of the door hinges.

oh but have you not heard? UK import corrosion is a myth.

Import Corrosion is bullshit. My UK M3, Registered 2002, Landed her in 2010 (oh sh*t yeah, 8 years on that salt!) isn't dying of rust (actually it's mint)

Absolute mythical crap to brush all cars as the same. I know AA Rust reports don't mean jack in the term of things, but it still flew through that. And a HellBM check, and a Bellars Motor Works check.

Sure a few screwed on tight bolts.. but nothing more than what's on my Schnitzer - which never set foot on a salted road.

Edited by MISS BM
  • Like 1

If you've lived in the UK you know about the rust. It's a matter of fact.

Perhaps people who own low Mileage imports are fortunate enough to have cars that were garaged during the winter.

My sister in the UK has her Jag for the warmer months and drives a cheap 4WD during the colder months. When spring arrives, after a couple a good rains to wash the salt away the Jag can come out to play again. Makes sense when you think about it.

Just a thought.

Interested as to why mine is good then. It was imported at 37miles. More than half its mileage life over there.

Was under the impression some areas of the UK aren't salted??

Fortunate my car doesn't have rust, but I know a few others which don't either...

• Like 1

Do we really have to go through this same sh*t EVERY time a car is listed that has come from the UK? It is getting so, so tedious and repetitive.

Let's just discuss the car in the original post and stop with the ooh it'll be rusty arguments.

• Like 1

Do we really have to go through this same sh*t EVERY time a car is listed that has come from the UK? It is getting so, so tedious and repetitive.

Let's just discuss the car in the original post and stop with the ooh it'll be rusty arguments.

Indeed. It was personally the price that attracted the attention.

On that note remind me to never list the M3 on here, it's only a rust bucket after all ;)

• Like 1

Without wanting to drag on with the ex UK rust thing. As Dave alludes to earlier. It is horses for courses thing. Some vehicles probably don't see the salt due to hybination, others may come from areas that roads are not salted.

As with Japan - I have seen many vehicles (4WD's particularly) that are ex Japan & are rusty underfloor on bolts,suspension components etc, even seat mounting bolts. Vehicles that have obviously come from northern Japan (having a dual battery setup for cold climate) where the roads are salted.

There is no doubt - if a vehicle is continually subjected to salt - it will corrode. Doesn't mean ALL cars are going to be subjected to this.

• Like 4

Wooo I had better get come pop corn this could get interesting and has stirred the pot so to speak. As some have posted their are alternatives and each to their own opinions was interested in peoples thoughts on the price, age and general items etc to do with the vehicle.

Import Corrosion is bullshit. My UK M3, Registered 2002, Landed her in 2010 (oh sh*t yeah, 8 years on that salt!) isn't dying of rust (actually it's mint)

Absolute mythical crap to brush all cars as the same. I know AA Rust reports don't mean jack in the term of things, but it still flew through that. And a HellBM check, and a Bellars Motor Works check.

Oh to be young again ..

Thats your experience, but unfortunately not all experiences are the same ... there are plenty of others that haven't turned out so well .. Including a current M5s for sale at the moment. It is all dependant on where you live and how much the car was taken out in it or washed afterwards. It also depends on weather the cars rust protection has been damaged and ignored.

Its the same with singapore import cars .. lots are lemons some arent.

Thats your experience ... there are plenty of others that haven't turned out so well .. Including current M5s for sale at the moment. It is all dependant on where you live and how much the car was taken out in it or washed afterwards.

And that is why I said above that's it's cheap to brush ALL cars as the same.

I know of the 850csi which couldn't get complied because filled rust after 20odd years on salted roads... But to be fair it's the only incident I've seen.

Japan are horrid. UK are Rust Buckets. Singapore are Doomed.

Guess NZ new is the only way it seems....

You can't just slap a label across the board and expect all calls to be the same. Buts it just seems that way with personal thoughts against or for on here.

I own a doomed Singapore and a rust bucket UK and they have been my two best cars from the Lot. Better so than my NZ new.

Oh to be young again ..

Thats your experience, but unfortunately not all experiences are the same ... there are plenty of others that haven't turned out so well .. Including a current M5s for sale at the moment. It is all dependant on where you live and how much the car was taken out in it or washed afterwards. It also depends on weather the cars rust protection has been damaged and ignored.

Yup. I looked at a UK 2011 E90 M3 earlier this week. One look at the wheels and you could tell it had been subjected to salt, the car looked twice its age... Exhaust hangers had rust, everything looked old and "cleaned" for presentation.

Have seen some shockers over the years, a mate had a suspension coil break on a car that was only a few years old, as in it corroded and snapped... when it come to replacement he had to virtually cut the old suspension out as every bolt had seized, ended up having to replace all links, arms, etc.. and then there is George with the Lotus Exige, just have a look at the extent of the work he had to do to get his car up to the standard he was happy with.

If you want a laugh, come down to my mates workshop and have a look at the cars and trucks before they go for compliance, have seen the likes of three year old Audi Q7's written off due to the amount of corrosion.

Keep your UK cars, not for me, the dealers are sketchy as f**k and know that your average joe is non the wiser... happy to pay a premium for a NZ new car. Bottom feeders.

Also.Im new so this is the first anti UK rant from me so I am exempt. Even if its an age old known fact that UK cars are sh*t.

Also. Shot Dale.

anigif_enhanced-2516-1390969533-12.gif

• Like 1

Forget the stereo-types and generalisations, every car is different, treat it on it's own merits. Old-wives tales were bad enough and all the "I had a mate who..." stories have now grown wings and flown around the internets so anyone can spout them as gospel.

For your missus I hope.. :P

bahaha yeah something like that :P

• Like 1

Forget the stereo-types and generalisations, every car is different, treat it on it's own merits. Old-wives tales were bad enough and all the "I had a mate who..." stories have now grown wings and flown around the internets so anyone can spout them as gospel.

Fair enough. Not all women from the Hamilton have chlamydia, but I avoid them as a general rule to be safe.. I have a mate who slept with a women from Hamilton, it was months before he noticed the corrosion on his shock absorber and by then it was to late.

My "had a mate" stories are real, like they are my mates and I have seen the extent of the damage. I have the suspension parts in my shed, if you compare them to my other spare parts its amazing just how corroded the UK parts are.

Be safe kids.

• Like 1

George's Lotus was horrendous if you don't know the story. Ground Up rebuild.

US stories of Corrosion vs BMW are also very real.

Like plasterboard homes. People tend to avoid them because there is a chance it could be leaky.

Horses for courses.

My dad's brand new Audi A8 front end was showing signs of rust after 3 years parked directly across from the beach.

Every car is different. Yes there have been some horror stories but nothing a good reliable check wouldn't uncover.

It's all down to getting the experts to check the car before the purchase. Only more important the older and higher km the car is.

Fair enough. Not all women from the Hamilton have chlamydia, but I avoid them as a general rule to be safe.. I have a mate who slept with a women from Hamilton, it was months before he noticed the corrosion on his shock absorber and by then it was to late.

My "had a mate" stories are real, like they are my mates and I have seen the extent of the damage. I have the suspension parts in my shed, if you compare them to my other spare parts its amazing just how corroded the UK parts are.

Be safe kids.

Hey it's tauranga you have to watch out for now :P