Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

E46 M3 vs E90, E92 M3, Prons and Cons

Hey guys!!! I haven't posted in a while... I wanted to get your oppinion on the ownership of an E46 M3 and E90 or E92 M3. Everything counts. I might have an opportunity to upgrade from my E36 M3, so I would like to hear your oppinion on both models.

Thank you :)

Edited by swordfish

Depends on what you are after. Random thoughts.

IMHO the E46 is near perfect, has great proportions etc.

The E90 has that V8 though, and that V8 is a nice thing.. feature wise, you gain I-Drive, but its old I-Drive so it would come down to what you were into. E90 is obviously a newer generation car, meaning its easier to get in and out of and more comfortable day to day.

The E46 would be a better buy if depreciation and resale are a concern, I think a well specked and looked after E46 M3 is about rock bottom at the moment.

Unless you want SMG/DCT, the later model car is a better drive day to day.

A used E9x M3 is just about double (generally more) the price of the E46 so I think it really depends on your budget....

E9x 335i is a good middle option. I've set my sights on an E92 335i.

If budget was no factor I would go for the e92. It looks great and sounds great. I'd get the 6 speed stick. Haters will say it's a filler car and I'm sure a chipped or nodded 335 will kill it but I'd take it anyway

• Like 1

I think E92s are cool.. 400hp/400nm V8 manual that revs to 8000rpm. Comfortable and a touch soft.

Sounds like an enjoyable car to me!

Had E46 M3, now in E92 M3.
Love both.

As wonderful as the E46 is, it's more of a "raw" car. The E92 is far more refined, comfortable, and much nicer to daily drive (I daily drove both).

The fuel economy isn't much worse if that's a concern however if you're worried about petrol I'd go for the mighty Corolla.

The sound of the E46 is quite nice, some people love the rasp. It was alright but you just can't top the V8 at 8300 RPM. Especially with some of the exhausts on the market (or modding OEM).

The E92 has a much nicer, more modern, and spacious interior. The E46 is definitely the purists car (IMO) though.

A lot of people have E92 M3s, even "non-car" people. Whereas the E46 M3 is typically bought because the owner "knows what it is".

All statements above are opinions.

Any specific questions feel free to ask

• Like 4

Thank you guys so much for putting your opinions out there. I appreciate it a lot. To clarify I love my E36 M3, I have had it for quite a while and have built it into something amazing. However I feel that I have reached my potential with it and I want something a little newer. I want to have a car which feels complete in every way. It will be used for everyday for short trips and a long trip every now and then. I like to work on my cars, so one of the things I would ask, which one of the two do you feel is easier to work on. I know old cars quite well, but I understand once you go to a newer car it is a whole another game with all the sensors and computers. I love straight six, although I can not say NO to a BMW V8, if you know what I mean. Another thing, I would like to take my future car to a track every once in a while. What are your opinions on, which car would be more fun on a track. Finally, I am a family guy and as much as I like to think that it doesn't matter, it does. I like to stick to my cars for a while, so the question is, which one of the two will be more appropriate for a family. Thank you all again.

Edited by swordfish

If I was to buy an M3 now and had a family I'd get the e92 purely for the rear doors and factory Isofix including teather strap points.

Both cars are great and either will put a big grin on your face so you can't go wrong. If I had more disposable income I'd put a e46 in the corner of the garage (Sunday car) and use a e9x as a daily.

If I was to buy an M3 now and had a family I'd get the e92 purely for the rear doors and factory Isofix including teather strap points.

Both cars are great and either will put a big grin on your face so you can't go wrong. If I had more disposable income I'd put a e46 in the corner of the garage (Sunday car) and use a e9x as a daily.

E90 M3 is the Sedan, and I agree. My E92 is a pain sometimes and its just me and my partner.

E46 I couldn't imagine with kids (not that I have any) but just picking up my brother from school when I have a passenger in the front is enough of a bloody pain! #firstworldproblems

I would agree as well with Neal ^^^ go with the E90 4 door

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Agree, while they're not M3s the two m-spec e46s I've had became quite impractical and uncomfortable for day to day use. Driving a newer BMW now there's a pretty big comfort difference (with better handling).

Ok, so I went from the E46 M3 to the E90 M3, i liked the look of the sedan over the coupe, also the sedan is a more rigid body.

I do miss the rawness of the E46 M3, I loved the rasp. I now love the sound of the V8. The V8 does enjoy drinking fuel more than the E46 M3.

With the age of the E46 getting on a bit, plastic components are getting tired, all the bushes will need to be replaced, shocks will need to be replaced, window rubbers will be getting hard. I did all of the above with my E46.

If you can get a late '08 onwards you will have CIC iDrive (HDD based) and a lot quicker than the CCC system.

• Like 2

i still think getting a nice e46 then keeping it for say a couple of years then moving up to the e90 sedan would be ideal.

plenty of room to work with with the e46 and you can 'make it your own'

i still think getting a nice e46 then keeping it for say a couple of years then moving up to the e90 sedan would be ideal.

plenty of room to work with with the e46 and you can 'make it your own'

If he has kids I think you'd change your mind pretty quickly.. especially if he holds onto cars for awhile.

hmmm yea i suppose the 2 door coupe is the real downside. but i would imagine most family's that have kids have at least 2 cars. one car for the kids/wife and one for the man :D

E46 M3.. It's just pure, uncomplicated raw power. And the bill to fix things is reasonably less ;)

Awesome position you're in dude! Good luck with the decision.
I've lived with both cars since their various stages of introduction and bought a M3 CS 2 and a bit years ago.

If you've got space as a concern and want a refined, fast, slightly reasonable economy wise car, I'd say a LCI E91 335i, highly optioned possibly a panoramic roof optioned one.
Massively tune-able, tons of torque, hp and daily appeal while also being track capable.

Also bits are cheaper than M cars and arguably if money is spent correctly outshines both M3's.

or if you're really keen, a neat diesel E90 (15-20k) for a daily which will give you amazing fuel economy and an earlier 01-02 E46 M3 (being quite cheap market wise 20-25k) for track duties!

However if you really really want a E9x M3, could I please implore you to test drive a 2010 IS-F and C63 AMG Performance Pack Plus version. I've spent extensive time in all these cars, all are neat, hence my non-biased opinion.

Goodluck :) you're a winner any way dude!

Edited by DSCOFF
  • Like 1

The more modern the car the more you're trading soul for horsepower.

Modern, high HP cars are a fast blast and awfully fun but let's be honest, how many people can own (read: exploit) a 400 or 500 horsepower car?

Get the E46 and exploit it's power, you'll never run out of smiles.

Whether or not it has more or less technology doesn't define a car's "soul". How does one measure soul? The soul of a car is purely opinion, based on everybody's individual experiences and preferences.

Having driven both, I'd pick the "soulless" (by your definition being newer) 458 over the E46 M3

• Like 2

I think the soul of the car is derived from the relationship a driver has between that specific car...

If it gives them good feedback and the right vibes, through all kinds of experiences over many years then surely that car has some kind of inherent soul for that one driver, regardless if its a Jaguar E Type or a Civic Type R.

• Like 2

I think soul comes from how much the car connects you with the road.

So based on that, you would say a Land Rover S3 V8 has less soul than that of a Ferrari 458 for instance, because the latter car has a better, sportier connection with the road?

^ nope I wouldn't say that, I'm speaking more figuratively than literally.

I've driven manual Mitsi Lancers that are not sporty but have connected me with the road and given me truck loads of joy.

I was basically having a dig at Audis which make you feel like you're being driven by a computer...

• Like 1

I was basically having a dig at Audis which make you feel like you're being driven by a computer...

post-51309-0-84047700-1427711155.png

:lol:

• Like 2

I know that it was just an example, but a 458 feels pretty damn special not matter what speed you are "exploiting" it at. :)

• Like 1