Sign in to follow this  
HSB

Tracking Tile

Hi all

I wondered whether anyone else is interested in this: www.thetileapp.com

Posted Image

In short it is a small tile you can attach to anything to track its where abouts. The tile emits a signal bluetooth signal up to 100 feet to your own matched phone but every other phone with Tile helps find your stuff by ping'ing - like cellphone towers (watch the video to understand this).

Actual size is: 37mm x 37mm x 5.3 mm

I am after 1 tile to place in my car but shipping on 1 more expensive than the tile itself...

Anyone else interested in one? Would be happy to do a group order.

:)

While I like the idea I'm not sure how effective it'd be in a car? But seems like a great idea when it comes to keys and wallets imo.

Have you looked into GPS locators? The boss has a bought a bunch for work tools. His ones were around $30 from memory. It takes a SIM card, you text it and it'll send back it's GPS coordinates that can either be entered into google maps or opened in App. Battery life was something like 2 weeks?

bluetooth signal over 100 feet = approx 30 metres. If you can't see your car from 30 metres away then a tile won't help much surely..?

• Like 6

Did you watch the video tho? It pings off people's phones. Like a live time tracker.

Did you watch the video tho? It pings off people's phones. Like a live time tracker.

Only if other people are running the tile app on their phone, which is unlikely.

• Like 1

Fine.

....hahahahhahahah

Looks great and I really like the idea, but as Connor said possibly more useful for keys and the like. The little hole suggests that could be a target market... ;)

The GPS idea also sounds good but a 2 week battery life isn't ideal. People go on holiday for longer than that (apparently).

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I saw it advertised as "never lose your keys again" which would be quite cool. A proper GPS / tracker would be better for the car I would have thought..?

I have a similar product, bluetooth tag that sits on my keys. Pretty handy for when I lose them down the back of the couch. Would not count on it to track my car. And while it is possible for other people to track the tag, the chances of that actually happening for your car to be able to find it are very slim indeed.

Apparently you can hook the GPS into the car battery and it'll last indefinitely so there's always that.

I painted my roof with UV paint ($1,000)

I purchased a Predator drone ($6,000,000)

I pay some bitch to drive it ($36,000 per annum)

And I never, ever lose my car.

Easy.

dont call me a bitch

hahahahahaha

• Like 3

when i sold the mercedes the buyers finance companys lending condition was to have a gps system installed on the car. when the guy came to install it i asked him and he said it was around $500 for the mercedes. i imagine if would be a bit cheaper for japanese cars etc. i think its a good investment if you have a pride and joy or an expensive car. its not a huge amount of money and can be found through their own satellite system.

All good contributions good thinking folks. Perhaps a GPS system is the way to go.

....or M3AN's suggestion haha

My boss got these to stick on his kids when they went to disneyland :)

My boss got these to stick on his kids when they went to disneyland :)

actually? Hahahhaha

I have a "tile" on my keys as does my wife, I've not needed mine yet but we regularly use her's to locate keys.

Works of both our ph's so win, especially when our youngest needs the keys to start "her" car....

You can get a proper GPS tracker out of China for stuff all.

Or else you can use an old cellphone to do the same thing.

http://www.dx.com/s/gps+tracking