Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Home coffee machines

OK so I killed my old espresso machine by not reading the instructions carefully enough while doing a de-scale :-(

So might have to 'invest' in a new one. What are people using these days? Old school or those new capsule jobs? Only just started reading reviews etc but appears to be less mess\cleanup with the capsule approach which is a good thing, but not if it tastes crap...

• Like 1

i use a teaspoon and my hand.

• Like 5

The capsule ones are okay, gimmicky quick and easy, but you can't really make a coffee with such they have no room for user skill. I don't like them.

Id stick with a proven manual coffee machines if you like timing it all yourself, or get a electronic automated one that switch off after X amount of flow etc.

Depends how much you want to spend / how seriously you take your coffee.

I just run a mid range Krups auto unit, and have a decent grinder only grinding up the coffee as I use it so it stays fresher. I get beans direct from a coffee guy in the trade which are much fresher than most supermarket beans that have been sitting for weeks. Shiny beans are bad in that it means oil with in it leaching out reducing their freshness, altering the flavor.

The general consensus is that capsule ones are pretty good. But as a barista i must say you cant beat a real freshly ground coffee bean espresso. Machine prices can vary from a hundred dollars to thousands so its really upto you how much you want to spend.

• Like 2

I have yet to have a good coffee from a capsule.

After figuring out that an anal retentive approach in the quest for the perfect coffee was actually ruining it when I did find an acceptable coffee, I have settled on the following low tech compromise- buy espresso grind coffee and brew it in a plunger.

I like coffee but I'm buggered if I'm paying for the equivalent of a manual conversion in the E39 to get there!

• Like 2

Not really a coffee snob and I taint it anyway with chocolate :D

That said my wife buys green beans and roasts them old school for me so pretty fresh. Then I was using a basic sunbeam espresso machine. Being a little anal retentive means I get one cup of mocha for 10 minutes of cleaning... Hence the reason for considering the capsule machines. Hate hate hate instant!

• Like 1

The general consensus is that capsule ones are pretty good. But as a barista i must say you cant beat a real freshly ground coffee bean espresso. Machine prices can vary from a hundred dollars to thousands so its really upto you how much you want to spend.

Keep meaning to turn up one Sunday and try your coffee Kyu but a bit embarrassed as I'm driving a toyota at present :(

• Like 2

It's all down to personal taste. You can make a pretty good cup with a plunger or stovetop brewer.

I'm not a fan of the capsules. They don't taste right plus the packaging amount & cost.

I've had 4 different automatic machines and they all eventually break. It's too big an ask for them to grind brew extract & cleanup for a reasonable price. They all eventually break some small part inside which costs more than the whole machine to replace.

If u want the best manual machine available get a Rancilio Silva

Rancilio is industrial quality machinery. They make commercial machines that u will see around in cafes and this is their home offering.

Pricy but you won't have to buy another machine.

Remember a proper burr grinder is important also.

Coffeegeek review:

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/rancilio_silvia

My current setup

post-5771-0-95659700-1434774169_thumb.jp

Edited by M5V8
  • Like 1

+ 1. What he said.

I mad a manual Brevel for 10 years, it only died a few months back... so I got talked into an Automatic machine.. It has been back twice, I keep breaking it apparently.

Depends on what you want to spend I suppose, my Brevel was around $500 and lasted well, I drink a lot of Coffee and it was always on all day.

2c

nice rancilio setup! must have cost a small fortune

Yup it did.

Considering over the years what I spent on the multiple auto machines this setup has already paid for itself.

It's pretty much indestructible.

Only downside is the coffee is only as good as the operator.

• Like 1

just remember that these machines DO require regular servicing. take it to espresso engineers in grey lynn, good people there.

happy to give you a small lesson if you come to the next meet darren haha

• Like 1

:-\

• Like 1

If you have roasted coffee you will know that it gasses off for a few days after roasting ie. when very fresh. So tell me how fresh coffee releases gasses inside those sealed Nespresso capsules...unless it is not that fresh.

Had coffee for the first time 2 weeks ago. Do not want.jpg

^ the operator relies on good beans and a good working machine otherwise u wont even get a half as good cup of coffee.

Steaming milk is important too but thats mostly the operator

• Like 1

I agree with Ron on something with an e61 head (or the Rancilio by reputation but haven't used one) and a decent $$$ grinder. Both will last forever if appropriately serviced. Then you just need to practice...

If you just want high quality black coffee and don't want to spend much

- a burr grinder (manual about $60 but hard work, or I used to have a sunbeam one bought for about $100 on sale)

- an Aeropress for $50ish

- light roast single origin coffee roasted with pour-over or Aeropress in mind.

• Like 1

Had a number of machines as the coffee addiction has increased . Most machines initially lasting 3 ish years before pump failure.

Went e61 about 7 years ago, machine has done 1000s of cups, features copper boiler and braided pressure lines on hot water side. alwats has plenty of pressure for shot and steam, never needs a break between cups.

These machines work out cheaper overtime as time before failure is high compared to domestic machines ( exception being Ranccilo)

post-797-0-85616900-1434788465_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good looking machine Neal.

I got one of these at Xmas time for $549

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/home-appliances/coffee-and-beverages/coffee-capsules-and-accessories/sunbeam-cafe-series-espresso-machine-grindfresh-grinder.html

So far its been good, but it seems they only last about 3 years or so.

I used to buy a coffee every morning on the way to work, but now I use this.

Went e61 about 7 years ago, machine has done 1000s of cups

"CAUTION HOT" - never a truer word spoken than that. Every few months I am not concentrating and get a reminder from mine in the form of a shiny piece of skin on my knucke(s) for a couple of week.

E61s certainly aren't child friendly let alone adult friendly . Have to remind myself to let it cool down before giving it a clean..

Similar to the daily challenge mechanics have when work on engines no doubt.

Beans 25%

Machine 25%

Operator 50%

Kind of like cars really.

• Like 2

I so took that out of context ...

• Like 1

Nespresso user here (sorry!). Was actually convinced to buy one by a barista as he uses one at home, certainly not the same as proper espresso. But good enough for me 1st thing in the morning as I'm lazy and untidy and like the ease of use.