Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

All sorts of weird bmw 540 listing

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-240089175.htm

Not sure where to start, but i'd say the price in the window indicates they are either out of their minds, or are using stock photos taken about a decade ago.

The KM are insanely low, it has basically not moved for 9 years, about 500km of driving, that just can't be good for it?

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=car180

Even with this low milage, I think 15k is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by Charlie F.

The fact the listing has been there for 6 years is probably a good indication that someone is a sandwich short of a picnic basket

• Like 2

Yeah its been up for yonks, it was 30k asking price for the first 4 years or so lol.

Pretty sure those are the original photos...

What a waste of time haha.

Give me a well maintained example with 250,000kms on the clock.

Theres little to like about a neglected car thats been sitting around for years, low kms, big whoop.

• Like 1

hate to know what 6 years of sitting in the sun has done to the paint too.

I vote that someone on the forum from Palmy should go look and take some photos for us to see how it actually looks now.

I looked at it last year. It's sitting in a car yard in the back corner and it looks like its been sitting there for years and it has.

Sitting for so long in the sun has taken it's toll on the paint. Clear coat is peeling off on the bonnet and boot and if I remember right the heat has deformed some of the interior panels.

It doesn't get driven at all so it's been sitting there for 6-7 years. You can imagine what theats done to all the rubber seals and plastic in the engine.

If I'm over that way anytime soon I'll stop in and have another look and take some pics. Last time he couldn't find the keys so it couldn't be started"yeah right".

I see it's registered as a Schnitzer but from memory I could find the badge under the bonnet anywhere so I'm not sure it's genuine either.

Everytime I'm in Palmy I drive past and look at it sitting in the back.. Shame really.

I see it's registered as a Schnitzer but from memory I could find the badge under the bonnet anywhere so I'm not sure it's genuine either.

Being an import, the importer can put almost anything on the rego at the time. I dont see anything that makes it special tbh, those ACS kits and exhaust arent that uncommon on boring spec E39s, and thats all there is to the ACS "treatment" on this car.

I don't understand this. I've seen a blue e46 cab in the same boat - stupidly high price at a dealer who's been holding onto it for years. Been threads on both of these cars here before multiple times I think. Why over value something so much to the point that no one is interested, then leave it for years so it's in a condition no one would bother with... Is this some sort of tax dodge or something?

I don't understand this. I've seen a blue e46 cab in the same boat - stupidly high price at a dealer who's been holding onto it for years. Been threads on both of these cars here before multiple times I think. Why over value something so much to the point that no one is interested, then leave it for years so it's in a condition no one would bother with... Is this some sort of tax dodge or something?

Could be since it was imported by the owner of the car yard and was his for a few years.

I have somewhat of a theory on this.

Car dealers, or dealers of any nature that have been around a long time are using the internet, but in the wrong way.

Many years ago, when cars were bought off of yards, you could get away with having vehicles for a long time. If we didnt have trademe, forums etc, we would have no way of knowing that vehicle had been on that yard for all these years, then when you drove through Palmy, heaven forbid, you may see the vehicle, feel you've found a good one and the only reason its still for sale is the fact you need to be out there looking.

Now, dealers put these cars on the internet, and still work off the old way of doing things. They have no idea that forums etc talk about these things, they may not even know what a forum is, and those in the know, which is the market for these cars, all talk between themselves and come to the conclusions above.

It's a bit of a headache but it seems what happens from what I've observed.

Same reason prices have gone up, as local markets now no longer exist, as buyers all over the country, even outside, have access to all vehicles for sale.

• Like 2

buying a car has changed over time. i remember looking through the nz herald and auto trader 2 line adverts to find a car with no pictures or anything just a short description like

BMW 328i 95 NZ new black auto

a/c p/s e/s asc gd cond 09xxxxxx

• Like 1

buying a car has changed over time. i remember looking through the nz herald and auto trader 2 line adverts to find a car with no pictures or anything just a short description like

BMW 328i 95 NZ new black auto

a/c p/s e/s asc gd cond 09xxxxxx

but what's it like on gas?

that's how I brought me e28 m535i about 11 years ago

trade and exchange line add , no photo's ,basic description etc

I deal with a few of the old school dealers ,

ask them to email or pay with internet banking etc or use google , doh !!