Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Waaaaaay off topic, 4WD Van buying thoughts

I know i should probably ask on nzmmc, toyspeed or nzorc, but they are primarily trolled by meatheads and I've forgotten my passwords, is nzmmc still active?

I digress, I've got the hots for a Diesel Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear, they just pull so hard! And you sit so high up so for a romantic like me they enhance road trips.

Toyota also has 4wd vans but i just don't rate them on looks or performance.

I'm unfortunately aware though that Big Mitsubishis, especially Diesels, aren't terribly reliable are they, frequent and sometimes expensive maintenance.

Anyone able to provide some guidance or advice, one way or the other?

Edited by Charlie F.

The engines in the Mitsis are fairly tough, but agricultural (no refinement, loud, underpowered and not that great on fuel) and parts arent hugely cheap. Sadly on the Delica its the rest of the bits around the engine that are crap. I hear from a few owners that due to their age parts are becoming hard to come by used, and i know a lot of parts new are now either Ex Japan at huge wait times (upto 2 months for some simple parts like an indicator stalk), or are obsolete. They share some parts with old Pajeros, but once again its not easy getting parts for them either.

Other than that, they look kinda cool and i hear they can be decent off road too.

I think the 2l and 2.4l mitsi van motors were pretty underpowered, but the 2.8L turbo diesel is another story.

Didn't know about the parts scarcity. Good tip, cheers.

I digress, I've got the hots for a Diesel Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear, they just pull so hard! And you sit so high up so for a romantic like me they enhance road trips.

Anyone able to provide some guidance or advice, one way or the other?

Think you need professional help... I'd recommend a psychologist.

• Like 3

Think you need professional help... I'd recommend a psychologist.

Oh it's just an adventure wagon and second set of wheels now that my lemon E30 is up on axle stands for month... wait. .. your right.

its the rest of the bits around the engine that are crap

Which is pretty scary, considering how crap those engines are :o

• Like 1

import E30 iX from the states

Plate and tag it using your current car

Done.

• Like 1

I owned an L300 for the last 5 years, also nursed a semi for the delica during such time; go the L300 base model one if you can find a rust free specimen I reckon. Cos it's not a van if it registers a score on frontal impact safety tests :P

Fuel economy and performance are never going to be up there when the only word to describe it's aerodynamics is 'brickish'

Edited by tawatech

they just pull so hard! And you sit so high up so for a romantic like me they enhance road trips.

I heard a rumour that there are a lot of pullers on some other Euro Forums that may be able to help you selecting a very reliable frequent puller

• Like 1

I heard a rumour that there are a lot of pullers on some other Euro Forums that may be able to help you selecting a very reliable frequent puller

BAHAHAHAHA Love it, kinda what I think when Im trying to pass one

I owned an L300 for the last 5 years, also nursed a semi for the delica during such time; go the L300 base model one if you can find a rust free specimen I reckon. Cos it's not a van if it registers a score on frontal impact safety tests :P

Fuel economy and performance are never going to be up there when the only word to describe it's aerodynamics is 'brickish'

We have constant issues with brand new vans rusting, leaking, and generally just falling to bits. Hell, most L300s that came fresh off the boat went straight to the body shop for rust repairs. The older ones arent much better. The reason you see so many around? They were a lot cheaper for tradies than hiaces and the likes.

If it has a 4M40 or 4M41 Diesel engine in it, run like the wind.

Utter pieces of poo that like to break at regular intervals and are designed to be hard to fix.

Bottom end is Ok, but heads tend to crack and warp and camshafts snap.

• Like 1

Only plus side is they are cheap, for a reason..

• Like 1