Sign in to follow this  
MattA

X5, any advice/info

Hi All,

Anyone have first hand experience with the X5?

I've never been a big fan of them, though they have got better looking as they've evolved.

Wife is thinking of "upgrading" from her Surf, wants something nicer and more comfortable and she's seen a few X5's she likes.

thanks

Edited by MattA

The old man has a 2006 diesel its been a great car for him absolutely no issues at all in 5 years ownership. Mountains of torque.

It does have fairly firm suspension though and the steering is noticeably tougher than most power assists I've driven.

I have heard the transmissions on them can give you trouble so check for receipt of repair.

If you're not going to tow with it I'd go the 3L petrol, if you need to tow I'd go the td, v8's have less torque for towing and less efficient.

• Like 1

Hopefully Ron (3 Pedals) will be along shortly.

I discussed this (what's an X5 like to run; what are the areas of concern) recently with my local independent; expect in the region of $2k/year maintenance, and be prepared for the occasional big (up to $5k) year. Not an inexpensive car to run. I like the idea of a diesel. I'm not game for this much risk, though. Need to qualify further, and am pleased you're asking these questions on your thread.

Re autos, I think this applies to all BMW autos. Lifetime fluid is a crock; fluid and filter changes are essential to maintain the transmissions.

HTH

Olaf

• Like 1

Agree with the life time fluids, I assume the "life" ends with the manufacturers warranty.

Have my diesel for towing although she'll likely want to take her bike to MotoX at some point, pretty light trailer through.

I'm not convinced its a good idea from a financial / maintenance point, can think of plenty of toy's I could spend $$ on first, but it's not mine!

There's also the "Remuera tractor" stigma....

We bought an earlier model pre-facelift e53 X5 for towing the boat a while back. We previously had a Discovery and Pajero and the X5 is leaps and bounds ahead. Ours has the sport package so it's firm, but once it's loaded up it rides nicely. It's not the best of build quality compared to other BMW models, but it still looks good for a 14 year old car. We decided on the V8 because the diesel's had a higher price and for the amount of mileage we do in it, it simply wasn't worth it. Agreed, it looks like a "Remuera tractor" but it tows effortlessly, it's big and safe, even has sway control when the trailer is hooked up.

Boat weighs about 1.8 ton, I got 15L per 100kms on a recent trip Wellington to Taupo and back and it did not slow down on any of the hills :-). Not too shabby when I compare that to the Discovery and Pajero which were gutless.

• Like 3

Ron has spoken in the past about some costly service items, namely brakes having a short and expensive life span iirc. Its actually something he seems to have some legit knowledge on.

• Like 1

wether true of not i beleive the tyres dont last long (big camber) and the larger dia tyres will be expensive.The diesels will be expensive to buy for sure but the economy is unbeleiviable .But ruc is about 5 c a kilometre ,rego used to be nearly 500 ,but its much cheaper now.CRDhas changed everything.Even pajeros are 150 kw now and can get 8 l 100 easy open road mileage

Edited by kiwi535

thats a good point actually, i was thinking that in traffic today when following an X5... lots seem to run huge negative camber in the rear. Looks stupid and wouldnt get any better once loaded up.

Yeah, I've seen a few with quite negative camber. Ours doesn't seem to be so bad. I've read that worn control arm bushings lead to increased negative camber. Ours has rear air suspension which keeps the height the same when loaded/unloaded so there is minimal change in camber when towing.

CRD has moved things on a lot, they are brilliant but you have to be doing higher annual mileage to justify the cost etc.

Performance (mostly the torque) in the 535d is phenomenal, I'd imagine in an X5 would be great.

It wouldn't be doing any great km's so the economy of the diesel isn't really a benefit once you factor in the higher Reg and RUC's

Aaron, 15ltr/100km is bloody good towing a boat!

Yeah, the torque from the 535d is epic. Driven the 335d and 535d and was very impressed.

Performance (mostly the torque) in the 535d is phenomenal, I'd imagine in an X5 would be great.

It wouldn't be doing any great km's so the economy of the diesel isn't really a benefit once you factor in the higher Reg and RUC's

Aaron, 15ltr/100km is bloody good towing a boat!

that's what my 855-T5 does around town #8 o no boat!

The old Discovery V8 we had used to do about 21ltr/100km towing the same boat. Leaked about the same amount of oil too.

Around town the X5 is thirsty. From memory sits around 14-15ltr/100km without the boat.

/rant

Edited by M3AN

X5 parts have an extra 'X' tax on them compared to say a 5 series.

They're a heavier vehicle so brakes and tires. All other problems are the same as the 5 series of same architecture as they share the same components.

While theyre the best of the AWD chassis theyre still a big car so dont float around as a car chassis does. But they definitely have their charm.

I'm not sure. There was a tyre discussion recently and he didn't wreck it with irrelevant, misleading, ill-informed supposition. He might be indisposed.

I have little experience with the X5, only sharing the road with them. My opinion is very simple. They're two tons of pretentious, inexcusable rubbish. Have some consideration for other road users and get a station wagon instead.

I'd hazard some of your experience has been sallied by the ass hats that often drive them....

I'd suggested a Subaru Outback or Forester, which she didn't like the look of but they have ok load capacity and ground clearance. She's test driven an Outback and was totally unimpressed said may as well keep the old Surf.

While she's not likely to be "off road" in any real sense most of the MotoX she rides are in cut maze paddocks and the like so a station wagon (like the 353d) isn't going to cut it.

/rant

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

P.S. ""Have a nice day""" ---- dave

Fair call!

I genuinely hope you enjoyed your break and I'm pretty sure it was well deserved.

Don't take my criticism too personally - I'm sure you don't, my guess is you have thick skin! I'll stand by my criticism all day, every day though. Sometimes your 'contributions' seem to be intended to deliberately obfuscate practical, meaningful information. And that's not cool for an enthusiasts' forum.

Glad you're back, I enjoy the banter. ;)

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

The irony is Dave, that the safety rating of the X5 means that almost any thing else HITTING it will also benefit- this is not the case with bull bar festooned , jacked up Hiluxes, off road prepped patrols and landcruisers etc.

This is clearly recognised in the new ACC levies - A five star safety rating benefits both parties in their "coming together" . Most people 'don't get' the physics but it is correct.

And yes I agree about the mobile road block characteristic of the X5 but as you point out this is the same for all 4WD's ; and buses , trucks and road slugs are even more obstructive to those of us who look out of the front window when driving.

And I also agree as single person transport to the café to pick up a mocha they are overkill but then we have Hummers , F150's F250 and even more stupid vehicles e.g M3 V8's Lambo's that stroke the egos of the vain and fragile, but that's a different topic ; Matt wants insight into the ownership of an X5.

Totally agree with all of this Ron. But proliferation is the main problem.

If we only had to deal with trucks, buses, tractors and farm utes then it would be tolerable.

But that's not the reality any more. We're having to deal with an explosion of unnecessarily large road trucks. Not cool.

Europe has learned, hopefully we will too and sooner rather than later. All 2 ton vehicles are taxed out of practicality in Europe and they no longer hog the road (or the carparks). People still seem to get by just fine.

They're an entirely unnecessary obsession in an urban environment.

Lucky Matt doesn't live in Auckland and have to probably even worry about the proliferation and parking bullshit. If like me living out of Auckland, larger vehicles are not the same road blocks and add comfort for the rural journey compared to small cars.

Buy what the misses wants mate you'll have more say in keeping the E34 forever :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure. There was a tyre discussion recently and he didn't wreck it with irrelevant, misleading, ill-informed supposition. He might be indisposed.

I have little experience with the X5, only sharing the road with them. My opinion is very simple. They're two tons of pretentious, inexcusable rubbish. Have some consideration for other road users and get a station wagon instead.

that's really not helpful, Dave.

• Like 1

Totally agree with all of this Ron. But proliferation is the main problem.

If we only had to deal with trucks, buses, tractors and farm utes then it would be tolerable.

But that's not the reality any more. We're having to deal with an explosion of unnecessarily large road trucks. Not cool.

Europe has learned, hopefully we will too and sooner rather than later. All 2 ton vehicles are taxed out of practicality in Europe and they no longer hog the road (or the carparks). People still seem to get by just fine.

They're an entirely unnecessary obsession in an urban environment.

Let the lady drive what the lady wants.

A happy wife is a happy life.....

• Like 4

I have, for the most part, found Ron's posts to be very knowledgeable and helpful, as opposed to your pointless and misguided opinions scattered all over this poor forum. If you have no first hand experience with the the X5 then pipe down and have some respect for the OP and the people who know what they're talking about.

• Like 3

Been watching this as well. Was Thinking of a e70 4.8 to replace the wife's e36. She's been hit twice now in e36s ( one seriously hit) and frankly I want more protection around the child.

X5 has one the safest crash ratings where as a e60 touring has same rating as an e36.

Size perception is quite funny. The x5 is only marginally longer than a Camry by a bumper.

Edited by Neal