Sign in to follow this  
zero

So this happened today :(

So yesterday I reassembled the transmission after I cleaned the parts in trans oil.

The valve body was a challenge to reassemble but I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

I took lots of photos to help put things back correctly and this thread was helpful;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1000845

New gasket and filter went in, and today I will attempt to refit it along with the entire cooling system, driveshaft assembly, fluids etc.

Big day.

And yes, I do drive like a nana.

• Like 2

Update;

So far it has taken way longer than planned.

I encountered a few problems, and have had limited time to spend on it because of family commitments.

Also, I have been doing a very thorough job of cleaning every single part as I go - even if its not seen. I have degreased, water-blasted and cleaned the underside of the car.

I've also done some maintenance while the car has been up on ramps;

Replaced engine sump gasket.

Replaced engine oil and filter with castrol edge.

Replaced fuel filter and fuel hoses.

So today I started it up sans the exhaust.

Everything pretty much went as planned. No oil leaks from the transmission, and no oil leaks from the engine. A small water leak which I will hunt down tomorrow.

Still to do is connect the gearshift cable to the transmission (I'm having difficulty with this as its not gripping the cable), reconnect the underbody heat-shield, and reconnect the exhaust.

Then go for a test drive.

• Like 3

Well, I went for a drive this afternoon and everything went surprisingly well.

No fault codes yet so fingers crossed.

When it cools down I will do a thorough check for leaks.

• Like 4

Update;

So far it has taken way longer than planned.

I encountered a few problems, and have had limited time to spend on it because of family commitments.

It always does, and you always do. At least, that's my experience. I do know people who sail through stuff like this on their own, though.

Also, I have been doing a very thorough job of...

Looks as though you've really gone to town. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Hope it all goes well for you Nathan... keep your fingers crossed... time will reveal all

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

If nothing else I've learnt a hell of a lot.

If I have to do it again I think I would just use a crane and pull the engine and box out in one go, reattach the new box and then put them back into the car.

Thanks guys.

If nothing else I've learnt a hell of a lot.

If I have to do it again I think I would just use a crane and pull the engine and box out in one go, reattach the new box and then put them back into the car.

have found so far that is the easiest way unless you have a hoist/pit.

• Like 1

Is it possible to overfill the oil in the transmission?

If so, is it a bad thing?

Is it possible to overfill the oil in the transmission?

If so, is it a bad thing?

Yes it is, and yes it is. If overfilled, at best it'll overflow. Does your car have a auto trans dipstick?

• Like 1

Yes it is, and yes it is. If overfilled, at best it'll overflow. Does your car have a auto trans dipstick?

No trans dipstick.

I will loosen off the filler plug to let any excess out.

• Like 1

When doing our car, I check for gearbox capacity and initially half fill (or thereabouts). Replace the fill plug, start the engine, cycle the gearshift a few times (you may see the gearbox warning light), then switch off the engine. Add fluid to ~75% capacity and repeat. Then add fluid 'til it starts to overflow. You'll have used less than quoted capacity as there will likely have been fluid in the lines and cooler.

Take it for a drive and check.

• Like 1

Dip sticks are long gone on transmissions and engines these days. Nathan... the transmission must be filled on a level plane in park with engine running after initial fill. Then run the motor and go through all the gears. Reposition in park and top up. Run the transmission up to 45c temperature and recheck the level. You really need a scanner to check live data for temp settings. Allow excess oil to drain and cap off.

• Like 1

When doing our car, I check for gearbox capacity and initially half fill (or thereabouts). Replace the fill plug, start the engine, cycle the gearshift a few times (you may see the gearbox warning light), then switch off the engine. Add fluid to ~75% capacity and repeat. Then add fluid 'til it starts to overflow. You'll have used less than quoted capacity as there will likely have been fluid in the lines and cooler.

Take it for a drive and check.

Not the correct procedure

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

Not the correct procedure

O...K...

I'm happy to be corrected, but please don't leave me hanging!

• Like 1

Hanging ?? not sure what you mean

Apologies - I was speed reading through. I saw 'dipsticks gone', moved to next post and responded to what you'd said.

Of course, if I'd read through the whole of your first post...

Oh well.

It's been a sh*t week, and a sh*t start to the year. To give you an idea, our cat didn't die when it was run over. That's about the high point so far.

• Like 2

Apologies - I was speed reading through. I saw 'dipsticks gone', moved to next post and responded to what you'd said.

Of course, if I'd read through the whole of your first post...

Oh well.

It's been a sh*t week, and a sh*t start to the year. To give you an idea, our cat didn't die when it was run over. That's about the high point so far.

I'm just as guilty.. no apologies necessary :D ...all good

• Like 2

Found this;

http://bimmerinfo.com/e46trans.htm

Thanks guys, I used the torque app via obd2 to measure the temp of the transmission oil and drained off any excess as per Glenns and ZF's instructions.

I reckon I had overfilled it by nearly a litre.

wow. good catch. Nathan, keep us posted, everyone here is rooting for your success.

I do so like this place. Glenn, thanks for taking time to share your expertise.

Graham, things will pick up. Keep boxing on, mate.

#8 )

• Like 1

Another update;

Well its been 10 days of driving and everything feels fine to drive, and no codes either.

However I'm a bit concerned about the fact that I'm still getting the chocolate milkshake stuff in the cooling system. The cooling system was removed and each piece was thoroughly washed/flushed with water before going back in. A garden hose was used to flush the engine block and the heater core. Then once back in I thoroughly flushed the whole system again with a hose, and then flushed it a second time with wynns radiator flush following the instructions exactly.

After each drive I'm getting some milkshake returning, so I flush it out by putting the hose in the top of the expansion tank.

I was scared that maybe the replacement oil cooler had a leak too, even though it came from a working car, so I disconnected both hoses from the back of it to check but the oil was completely clean.

How long should I be getting the milkshake stuff? Could I have a blown head gasket? There is no milkshake in the engine that I can see.

Head gasket is a possible culprit.

Any sign of coolant being passed through the exhaust? Exhaust fumes will be more like what you'd expect to see on a cold morning, and can smell sweet. (Sniff your tailpipe! ;) )

• Like 1

will just keep coming , hard to get rid of all of it

just keep flushing the system etc

• Like 2

Tailpipe smoke is oily blue (worn valve stem seals) but not white or steamy.

It is only on tap water at the moment as I don't want to waste my coolant and distilled water until its right.

Only other thing I can think of is engine (not trans) oil cooler.

will just keep coming , hard to get rid of all of it

just keep flushing the system etc

Thanks Brent.

Lets hope this is the case.

I will do a compression test on Monday.

did you replace the torque converter? dont think you could ever properly flush that, so probably coming from there.

• Like 1