Sign in to follow this  
zero

So this happened today :(

So today I tested the head bolts / block threads.

I could only access 7 out of the 10 without removing the cams etc, but they all held torque fine.

When the car was overheated it didn't go into the red so I'm hoping the threads and block is fine.

I will find out on the long weekend when I attempt the head swap.

• Like 2

Time for an update;

I swapped out the old head with its blown head gasket and its worn valve stem seals, for one I had reconditioned a little while ago.

I had previously had the replacement head checked and resurfaced, and then I got it home and did a big clean up on it, including a valve grind and polishing of the ports.

All new gaskets and valve stem seals were installed, along with new head bolts, and new timing chain and guides.

I also completely rebuilt all the hydraulic lifters as they often get clogged, and this only cost me my time.

I timed the cams by hiring the bmw timing tools from Alleuroparts.

I spent about six days all up as I tried to take my time and do it properly. Every part was cleaned before it went in and was torqued to spec, before being checked and then checked again.

Extractors were sanded and painted in heatproof black paint for a dyno-proven extra 5hp.

New oil and filter and amazingly it started first time.

This weekend I will tidy up a few loose ends, and go for a drive.

I'm not sure if the eccentric shaft has to be specially timed by a bmw tech using the bmw software?

A few pics;

Under the rocker cover

post-51352-0-52503500-1459507034_thumb.j

Out with the old and in with the new

post-51352-0-73540100-1459507109_thumb.j

New head installed

post-51352-0-34961300-1459507159_thumb.j

• Like 3

Head Bolt threads held OK then??? Awesomeness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos, interesting to see as i dont think ive ever actually seen under the valve covers of a valvetronic engine.

Could you see anywhere on the old headgasket where it might have been leaking?

• Like 1

Head Bolt threads held OK then??? Awesomeness.

Yup they held fine.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I had tightened the last bolt.

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photos, interesting to see as i dont think ive ever actually seen under the valve covers of a valvetronic engine.

It was hard to tell exactly, but it was definitely blown as it was a mess under there.

We spent a long time cleaning up the block.

Hat off to you Sir on this one you have stuck with it through all it could throw at you. Hence don't mean to be a joy germ did you bother to have a look inside that vacuum pump they are well known for filling with oil then sending it through out the whole vacuum net work big mess.

• Like 1

Hat off to you Sir on this one you have stuck with it through all it could throw at you. Hence don't mean to be a joy germ did you bother to have a look inside that vacuum pump they are well known for filling with oil then sending it through out the whole vacuum net work big mess.

Thanks mate.

Vacuum pump was rebuilt.

Went for a drive today.

Car runs good, and is not spewing smoke anymore now that the valve stem seals have been done.

I am getting a ticking noise from the engine though, which I have no idea about?

Went for a drive today.

Car runs good, and is not spewing smoke anymore now that the valve stem seals have been done.

I am getting a ticking noise from the engine though, which I have no idea about?

Lifter still sticking?

• Like 1

That's great to hear you must have a long tick list by now

• Like 1

from the photo - at least - the old head gasket's looking pretty dodgy at the back end of number two cylinder... thought naturally there's nothing like seeing it IRL

great outcomes, Nathan!

• Like 1

Just read this thread beginning to end , What a mission!!!

Well done - great determination. Hope it all works out for you.

• Like 1

Latest update - car is running great, and I'm a bit embarrassed.

So couldn't figure out the ticking noise, and I was scared it was a sticky lifter or the eccentric shaft not timed correctly.

The planned second oil and filter change was done after 70kms of running, and the noise was still there.

I went and saw Glenn at Botany Motor Worx and he quickly had it diagnosed. Using a stethoscope he could tell it wasn't a problem anywhere in the valve train.

He located the ticking to an exhaust leak at the back of the motor. He let me listen through the stethoscope and taught me what to listen for - the guy is a legend.

Needless to say I will be buying a stethoscope this weekend as its a very useful tool to have.

Got it home and checked the torque on the exhaust manifold bolts (for the third time) and it all seemed correct, so I wondered if I had damaged the manifold gasket on install.

And now for the embarrassing part.

I took the vacuum pump off to check the seals as Glenn had also spotted an oil leak there.

And it was then I noticed I had forgotten to install an engine plug in behind the vacuum pump, and that is where the exhaust leak was!

I installed the plug, reinstalled the vacuum pump (with the o-ring correctly aligned this time) and fired it up.

She runs beautifully!

No smoke, and no funny noises.

Took it on the motorway and kicked it in the nuts and it performed awesomely.

So happy.

Big thanks to Glenn.

• Like 7

Thanks for the nice words Nathan..... and the beers :D glad it's all sorted now

A stethoscope is a tool that every person who works on cars should have... cheap as chips too

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 4

awesome news, Nathan. you'll be all ready to swap in an M54B30 now, yeah? #8 )

• Like 1

awesome news, Nathan. you'll be all ready to swap in an M54B30 now, yeah? #8 )

One day I'd love to swap in a tweaked m60 or m62.

Thats a project for another day though.

One day I'd love to swap in a tweaked m60 or m62.

Thats a project for another day though.

Just 'another day'... ;)

• Like 1

Soooo why the hell don't more people on here take notice of Glenn & actually USE his services....

• Like 6

Soooo why the hell don't more people on here take notice of Glenn & actually USE his services....

'cos it's easier to ask a professionals opinion and then rubbish it with "factz" from the internets. After all, a DIY hack from the back blocks of some god forsaken town in the middle of Nowheresville, USA / Slovakia / Morrinsville knows more than a craftsman with 30+ years experience.

Rant done

• Like 6

post-51352-0-46696200-1460086195_thumb.j

Game over.

Time to buy a new car.

I got 83kms of good smooth running before this, so that works out at about $15 per kilometre not including my time.

post-51352-0-36925400-1460086381_thumb.j

I'm heartbroken.

Was it cylinder 3 Nathan ??

One of cylinder 4's exhaust valves. The one closest to cylinder 3.

The valve will have dropped into the cylinder and will be making babies with the piston and the cylinder walls.

I was only idling in traffic when it happened so took me by surprise.

How common is valve spring failure?

That's really sad news. :(

I've heard of three potentially relevant causes for valve spring failure:

1. Over-revving (although I don't see how this would break a spring - maybe localised heat build-up?)
  2. Poor quality metal used in manufacture
  3. Rust on the spring (which can result in failure in the same way a stress fracture would)

Could the spring have been exposed to damp while the engine was in pieces?

• Like 1