Sign in to follow this  
Emil

very tidy 728i

i want that. All the options I want.

The 2.8L is a good engine in its own right and does actually move the car around very adequately.

and much cheaper to maintain than the V8s too.

740i is good for towing, and if you like the V8 sound, otherwise the 728 is all anyone needs.

wish they did a 730i with the M54B30, still 6 but with a touch more grunt.

• Like 2

NIce E38.

A lot over priced though. And it doesn't have an aftermarket stereo as he states. It's got the standard 16:9 display and the second amp he mentions will be running the sub in the boot.

Pitty I cant see the plates. I'd be interested in what running the vin would turn up.

And those rear vanity headrest and picnic tables. WOW. Not a L7 option as he stated. They were an option for the 750i/il's. Super rare and VERY expencive if you want to retro fit them. They normally sell for around $1500 usd and thats if you can find them.

If I was looking for another e38 I'd be looking at the on though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1020540874.htm

That's a nice one as well. It's so satisfying to see a clean E38. When they're well taken care of they still look fresh. Was the AUX ventilation system common on these? Haven't heard much about this feature

I'd love one of these, find a good late 728i and change the engine to something a bit nicer

3.5 Litre M52 / M54 would be cool to make it like the old 735i E32 with the M30.

But that is quite costly for little gain...

Maybe 2JZGTE in standard spec would be nice. Mmmmm

• Like 1

I'd love one of these, find a good late 728i and change the engine to something a bit nicer

3.5 Litre M52 / M54 would be cool to make it like the old 735i E32 with the M30.

monster idea.

• Like 2

just buy a toyota crown majesta and call it a day haha

That's a nice one as well. It's so satisfying to see a clean E38. When they're well taken care of they still look fresh. Was the AUX ventilation system common on these? Haven't heard much about this feature

Most of them had it I think. 3 of mine have it though I'm not to sure about the 735i.

Neat little option that allows you to set it for certain time and it will ventilate/blow external air through the car for you. I have mine set for 1650 and1655 hrs so when I get to the car after work it's not like getting into a oven.

• Like 3

just buy a toyota crown majesta and call it a day haha

But then I wouldn't have an improved E38 / project.

:P

Hypothetically speaking anyway.

• Like 1

Shame they arent as cool (heh) as the Audi version of the AUX cooling, where it has a solar panel in the sunroof that actually runs the fans instead of using battery.

I'd like a really good (manual) 728i. They aren't as slow as most people assume, really. It's just the next sensible option is the 740i, which is a big jump in grunt! They're probably fairly comparable to a 523i, which is no rocketship, but can get out of it's own way at least. Apparently a manual trans Sport 728i is not too shabby - better diff ratio (UK spec anyway), and I'm sure the manual box livens them up - our 525i is quite a different car to an auto one, but you do have to wiggle the stick sometimes ;)

ugh, my 523i was one of the most tragic cars i have owned, it really couldnt get out of its own way... The engine was under powered in the E46 let alone E39.

• Like 2

I think applying some data on the matter is a good idea.

Taken from BMW documentation:

740i Curb weight (with driver, ready for operation, full tank of fuel, options not included) 2050kg

With the 2001 V8 4.4, that makes for a quoted, 282hp and 439nm output.

Giving, 137hp per tonne / 214nm per tonne

0-100km/h 7.0s

728i Curb weight (with driver, ready for operation, full tank of fuel, options not included) 1930kg

With the 2001 I6 2.8, that makes for a quoted, 190hp and 280nm output

Giving, 98hp per tonne / 145nm per tonne

0-100km/h 9.6s

As well as that the engines delivery characteristics are also very different being a V8 vs I6 so that also needs to be taken into consideration.

I personally think anything less than 150hp per tonne is a pretty underpowered drive, still - it depends what you want from the car etc.

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

^^ Then the 750i just squeaks in at 159.7 bhp per tonne. :D

• Like 1

^^ Then the 750i just squeaks in at 159.7 bhp per tonne. :D

BMW owners manual Stats I found suggest the 750i models are 2180kg with fuel and driver, 321hp / 490nm

Makes for 147hp per tonne / 225nm per tonne

I mean they are all relative figures for cars of that weight / late 90s engine performance.

The less attractive Mercedes S600 W140 beat them all though with 400hp, 2.2 Tonnes, 181hp / per tonne!

That is a quick barge :P

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 2

and according to the papers, the E39 523i makes a whopping 107hp/ton 154nm/ton.... with half a ton less weight than an E39. We would be down to 85hp/ton in a 2 ton car. My Swift and Fit both have better power/weight ratio.

BMW owners manual Stats I found suggest the 750i models are 2180kg with fuel and driver, 321hp / 490nm

Makes for 147hp per tonne / 225nm per tonne

I mean they are all relative figures for cars of that weight / late 90s engine performance.

The less attractive Mercedes S600 W140 beat them all though with 400hp, 2.2 Tonnes, 181hp / per tonne!

That is a quick barge :P

Thats true. But sometimes you want a car to look good as well as go fast. :P The E38 might not be the fastest but IMO it's got the looks covered.. The Merc just looks :wacko:

• Like 3

Thats true. But sometimes you want a car to look good as well as go fast. :P The E38 might not be the fastest but IMO it's got the looks covered.. The Merc just looks :wacko:

In period, the E38 is definitely the better-looking car. The W140 Mercedes was entirely meh from the outside... Totally barge and whale-like. Lovely inside, and good to drive, though. It too got a 2.8 engine in the S280 - 193hp and 270Nm. Just under the fabled 150hp per ton, courtesy of extensive use of aluminium.

The later W220 Mercedes S-class is one of the best-looking and proportioned cars in it's class, imho.

I dunno. Just had a look at the W220 and I'm just not feeling it. But thats just me. I can see how it might appeal to others though.

• Like 2

I dunno. Just had a look at the W220 and I'm just not feeling it. But thats just me. I can see how it might appeal to others though.

Riding in a S65 would change your mind. Over 600hp and torque electronically limited to 1000Nm...

No doubt the E38 is the best looking of them all.

I don't know what happened with the W140, it doesn't look like anything other than a grotesque lard with the 3 pointed star on the front.

Sad when the W126 had real flare and style...

The replacement W220 was quite bland too, I'd avoid one of those like the plague, even with the S55 version. Problems for days!

W221 finally go its act together, but like new cars I'm sure we have yet to see what these are like long term.

E38 still wins as far as I'm concerned.

Some of the 90s Jaguar XJRs are a cool subsitute though, big and long with classic styling, X300 and X308 chassis particularly.

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

The W222 is a thing of beauty, especially in AMG form. All the other just look really dated.

Its a shame there really was no M Performance model of the E38, something with a bit more grunt. The MSport ones had the interior and suspension a bit better, but still had the same engine as everything else.

• Like 1

The W222 is a thing of beauty, especially in AMG form. All the other just look really dated.

Its a shame there really was no M Performance model of the E38, something with a bit more grunt. The MSport ones had the interior and suspension a bit better, but still had the same engine as everything else.

Nothing stopping you from buying an msport one and swapping in an s62 :P