Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

E39 540i Manual

I am guessing these are quite rare. Would someone know how many of these are in New Zealand?

After seeing Brent's 540i and Martin's E39 M5 (sounds amazing too) I think I am getting the E39 bug for a daily.

Thanks.

There's a BRG e39 540i Motorsport for sale via Turners down here in Welly. $5650 from memory. Not a manual tho of course :\

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

Not sure how many there are, but yes, rare. I still have my e39 540i touring manual for sale, even rarer!

I recall having a similar discussion with someone from here a while ago - apparently there were more M5s sold new in NZ than factory manual 540i. Pretty sure there's less than 20 M5s so youre gonna be searching for the Unicorn on this one. Of course that doesn't include any DIY converted cars or private / Japanese imports but I don't think theres a lot to work with.

Good luck though, they will be around - just be prepared to pay a huge manual tax for the privilege!

There's one that's been on trademe for 13kish for a while - no bites.

Cheers for the replies. Yeah, looking at factory manual setup rather than conversions. But still tempting aja540i.

Haven't seen any on trademe but will keep an eye out.

Mine is a conversion, originally by hellbm, and i have gone back to a dual mass flywheel and self adjusting clutch since then for a bit more driveability. Really is a great car, if i didnt get the M5 unicorn i would definately be keeping it.

Buy mine and convert it, or keep it auto, still a hoot!

e34 535 manual is a more involved drive, e34 540 next,e39 540 are too nice imho.I have driven all three ,several examples of the first two,but only one of the latter.

e34 535 manual is a more involved drive, e34 540 next,e39 540 are too nice imho.I have driven all three ,several examples of the first two,but only one of the latter.

This makes some sense to me.

I have an e34 540iS (owned 14 years) and an e39 M5 (owned 5 years). The e39 is a better car all round for sure, but which one do I most like driving? I think it is the e34.

This makes some sense to me.

I have an e34 540iS (owned 14 years) and an e39 M5 (owned 5 years). The e39 is a better car all round for sure, but which one do I most like driving? I think it is the e34.

Agree. Having driven an e34 M5 3.6.

haven't driven an E39 540i (544i) manual, been in but not driven a friends one before it was sold to another friend, and it was a blast.

driven Brents E34 544i swap manual touring and that was awesome but just on motorway so didn't abuse it

in any case would rather throw an E34 around over an E39 any day, no mater what engine.

I have only driven a 518i e34 (see profile pic!) so that doesnt really count, but i can see how a nice e34 would be a better driving experience, but for an inconspicuous cruiser with the ability to scare the backwards hat brigade at the lights, a manual e39 540i is just the ticket!

case would rather throw an E34 around over an E39 any day, no mater what engine.

Yeah good point but there's an E28 M535i sitting in the garage that would be my preferred option for some fun driving. The E39 would be more for daily duties, or the plan is.

E39 vs E34, I prefer the looks of the E39 to be honest. But each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

buy mine :)

You have a 540i E39 manual for sale?

You have a 540i E39 manual for sale?

no my E34 544iT/6

in any case would rather throw an E34 around over an E39 any day, no mater what engine.

How come? The e39 should have a better chassis, but is it because the e34 is more 'raw' and involved?

• Like 2

no my E34 544iT/6

What was the price on this? I missed the post i think.

• Like 1

Personally I'd rather drive a E39is, it pulls from 1000rpm in 6th and will hit 160 in 3rd. It is just so easy and such a total pleasure to drive, although I wouldn't throw it through corners like I did with my E36 coupe, but it isn't far behind.

A couple of years ago I saw a couple of E39 540is's on TM and they both sold for pretty good coin.

I turned down 10k last year because I couldn't think of anything I'd like to replace it with............perhaps a low mileage (under 100k) E39 M5 but I've seen more M5's for sale than 540is's another BMW I wouldn't mind is a 840i manual but I've never seen one of them for sale either.

Has anyone got a set of 18" Type III's for sale?

Also has anyone retrofitted NBT idrive into a E39?

post-52631-0-06923500-1434708525_thumb.j
Edited by Kiwi_BMW
  • Like 1