Jacko

The 130i Thread

Might be a cheap way to join the cool kids club, sounds like the sellers brain exploded (bought it a week ago, but then bought a 4 pot 320... :D )  

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2499096161.htm

Edited by Driftit

Very interesting although I'd like to see the interior before assessing value... owner wants 7,900 'buy now' but if you could get it at auction for around 6,500 it would be a great deal... some receipts for recent work also.

These cars are getting cheap now - was looking a few years ago but we bought a GTI instead.

Lot of car for the money, values can't get much lower?

39 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Lot of car for the money, values can't get much lower?

Well you have to wonder... I can't imagine so for a few more years. People are still paying $6k+ for a sorted e36 328!

I suspect it's just that most (boy racers?) are too focused on the 135 to see the real nugget.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Well you have to wonder... I can't imagine so for a few more years. People are still paying $6k+ for a sorted e36 328!

I suspect it's just that most (boy racers?) are too focused on the 135 to see the real nugget.

Probably. I drive the e28 more but the 130i we have punches waaay above its weight. Sounds, handles and goes excellent.

Hmm.... Beige. Can dye the leather but carpets would need to be replaced with something more practical.

Wood trims could be wrapped easy enough.

Sold. $5,550 is a good price almost regardless of the condition. If you liked that interior it would be a crime not to pick this one up for that amount. A bit like that manual in Queenstown, bargain.

Who turns down a dirt cheap 130 because it lacks cruise control, which can be easily retrofitted.... thing smells fishy

Almost no 130i come with cruise fitted anyway, as far as I've seen. 

No, they don't. 

But who tf needs cc anyway? Does your right foot not work? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

No, they don't. 

But who tf needs cc anyway? Does your right foot not work? 

I use mine a fair bit, especially when the 4kph revenue gathering is in force 

• Like 1

^ Good options and they'll take $7,500... I can't imagine manuals can get much less expensive than that in the short term.

Never seen a red 130i before, and its has decent options, PDC, no Idrive, Xenons

One of 13 NZ new manual 130s.... Interesting it didnt get the aero spoiler, only one Ive seen that didnt have it. The rest of the options are  the same as mine, its only roughly 150 units post mine which was built Dec 05 and 06 registered in NZ. 

$7500 is stupid cheap.

Just looked it up in NZTA records, 2 NZ new in red, one manual. 

For the future reference, EZJ977,  in 20 years when they are worth 50k and people are arguing about if they are really worth that much on futurebook :D

1259965828.jpg

1259965826.jpg

1259965833.jpg

1259965825.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

its a very interesting thought as to the future value of these, have always wondered when seeing the likes of EZJ977 come up if it should be snagged and stored for future days

20 hours ago, Arron said:

its a very interesting thought as to the future value of these, have always wondered when seeing the likes of EZJ977 come up if it should be snagged and stored for future days

Tiff Needell rated rated them in top 10 to buy now as investments.

5th gear had an episode this season, which lined a 130 E81 up against a bunch of the other "superhatches" of similar generation and 130 was voted best car.

Considering when released they got praised for the engine, and dynamics, but weird looks and small boot (clarkson), and the R32 golf Mk5 considered the better car.... they seem to be ageing better than the competition. 

28468377_10155021139682693_5966507728583824864_n.jpg.7172b5597df6a3ada7546efe45bdfbf5.jpg

28577287_10155021139752693_4049536769685123215_n.jpg.f0c717be6bdb19fd7c2ca0bad4f2680f.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jacko said:

...when released they got praised for the ... dynamics, but weird looks...

Dynamics? Only a goose could consider the stock bumpstop-based suspension praiseworthy! It's utterly, utterly terrible on anything but a concrete road (Germany) and at any speed over 140km/h... really, truly scary. 

And I really like the look, before and after purchase!

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

Dynamics? Only a goose could consider the stock bumpstop-based suspension praiseworthy! It's utterly, utterly terrible on anything but a concrete road (Germany) and at any speed over 140km/h... really, truly scary. 

And I really like the look, before and after purchase!

In a sea of front wheel drive go fast hatches, I guess having correct wheel drive makes up for a lot!

46 minutes ago, Jacko said:

In a sea of front wheel drive go fast hatches, I guess having correct wheel drive makes up for a lot!

Actually, that is a very good point. Having said that, I did think the R32 was pretty damn fun.

And hey, you've got one of the better 1er suspension setups going... I'm not sure you're a good judge of OEM suspension... ?

Edited by M3AN

It's a perfect replacement for the e36 3 series... and a great condition manual one of those costs what?

I'd pick one up before everyone realises. I even wandered into the logistics of getting a manual and storing it lol.